Not witnessed vs. Witnessed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
So the past few mornings, I have been waking up on the floor with every single joint in my body aching, migraines, sore jaw, but no bitten tongue. I have a bad feeling I may have had a grand mal.

Whenever my doctor or an emergency technician asks if it was witnessed or not, they jot it down in their notepad. All of my grand mals have been witnessed, so I've always wondered what happens if it wasn't witnessed. Do they treat it differently? :ponder:

If you have proven epilepsy, no they would not treat an unwitnessed seizure any differently. During a TC seizure one is unconscious, so they would want a witness to be able to report exactly what happened and how long the seizure lasted.
You mention in your profile that you may have psychogenic seizures, so the doctors may be wanting a description from a witness to determine if the seizure characteristics were consistent with a TC or not.

Last edited:
I have diagnosed E sz's and my neuro wants to hear about all my sz's. I called his office about my last szexplained to his secretary my hubby had seen itand he called me this eveningwanting to hear about it.I gave my dh the phone to explain to my neuro what happened during my sz.

Waking up with those symptoms is a cut and dry example of having a seizure weather it was witnessed or not. I'd expect your doctor to treat it that way. You know better than anyone else what you're feeling.

I just saw my neurologist yesterday and talked him into doing a 48 hour video EEG, and he said that we'll take the proper course of action once he sees the results. It's a darn good thing I don't have a bed frame, and that my mattress is on the floor!

Back
Top Bottom