O...Kay? Canine Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jubileel

New
Reaction score
Miss Ginsie just had her first seizure on the new medication. This one was a lot different. It last a matter of seconds (I really only had enough time to wake up, sit up, and start to pet her before the seizure ended) and her "dorthy" mode was also different. She is still running around sniffing everything in sight but she's not stumbling about while doing it.

Although it's been almost a month since she's started the medication, I've noticed a pattern over the past few seizures that's a bit startling. Her November seizure was the 6th, the December one was the 15th, and this one is Jan 23rd....every five and a half weeks. Now, if Ginsie was human, I'd say it was hormonal issues with her period but since she's a puppy dog....

I'll call up the vet in the morning and tell her about it as well but this pattern has me curious. I'm not sure her epilepsy can be totally controlled if her hormones are starting to affect it....

Actually, dogs can be as vulnerable to fluctuations in estrogen as humans can! A female dog in heat can have more seizures during that time.

That is curious. I think the reason it has me so confused is that a)she's spayed and has been since I got her back in 2003 and b) it's only been over the past three months. She's had epilepsy for nearly five years. It seems such an odd thing to develop like that.... But thanks! The more info, the better.

A minor update:

Ginsie is doing okay so far. What I have noticed now is that she all the sudden has night terrors for lack of a better phrase. She'll start crying, yelping, or barking while she is still clearly asleep! I remember some crying in her sleep prior to her old medication so I'm guessing this is more of a "getting the PB out of her system" than anything else but...

Has anyone had night terrors/started sleep walking while on Zonisamide?

Back
Top Bottom