Of to the Neurologist

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I created a thread (I shortened it)
Read it - this might help you understand it more:

SIMPLE PARTIALS & COMPLEX PARTIALS

Thanks for the link Brain.

I'll admit that before I started taking these small seizures I thought there were only grandmal seizures.

About 18 months ago my regular GPs changed as my old GP decided to retire. When I went to meet my new GP I let him know a bit about my epilepsy history. He asked me what sort of seizures I was taking. I said I didn't know what my seizures were called & explained what I did when i took a seizure & how I called them a funny turn because I didn't like calling them fits. He did say they were a kind of seizure but I have since forgotten which seizure he said.

My GP has recently moved to another town but I have been told he has a replacement. At less I know that when I go see the replacement GP if they ask me about my seizures I'll know what they're called LOL.

The GARD diet has not been studied in a medical/scientific manner and your neuro likely won't know anything about it. If your neuro is keeping up with latest information, s/he should know about the LGIT and modified atkins diets.

The GARD diet is easy enough to try on your own should you be so inclined, but I would discuss it with the doc to at least let them know what you are doing - and keep a journal to track what you are doing and any changes that occur.
Thanks for the links Bernard

Will check them out & also speak to my Neuro about them when I see him next fortnight. I already have a few other questions to ask him which I'm going to start typing out Today while I remember them.

So by keeping a journal you mean just write down when I started the diet or what foods I stopped taking?

I already keep an epilepsy diary and keep record of when its that time of the month so another journal won't bother me :).

Last edited:
Hi CQ - I just got back from an appt with my doctor that has been treating me naturally for my migraines. He is a nutritionist an expert in hormone therapy, MD and OB/GYN.
He knows of Rebecca's situation and I used the time to ask him questions. His belief is that sugars, carbs, and yeast should be eliminated. A diet rich in protein and vegetables, and certain fruits.
I don't follow a particular diet for Rebecca. I base a lot of my knowledge by reading DogtorJ's website and learning about the GARD diet. I have studied both the Ketogenic diet and the Atkins diet, as well as the LGIT. I think many of the diets / nutritional plans are saying similar things, but I think each person has to see the cause and effect over time. Some may need to be tested for food allergies, while others are fine with eliminating certain foods. Each individual is so unique, it isn't one size fits all.

I can't see a doctor being upset with a patient wanting to eat healthy. Increasing those foods that might protect any depletion caused by your meds, and staying away from any processed foods. Don't be surprised if your doc's eye glaze over. I have mentioned it to neurologists and they look at me as if saying "Now why would I think that is important" ... I think a more important person to talk to would be your mom. If she helps cook and shop for you, the support there is a must.

I don't keep a separated journal for Rebecca food wise, but I do make note of any times the diet is challenged by anything not recommended. Or if there is a seizure, I count back two days and write down the meals that I know of and see if there is any relationship. That is how I do it, others might have different ways.

Last edited:
Hi CQ - I just got back from an appt with my doctor that has been treating me naturally for my migraines. He is a nutritionist an expert in hormone therapy, MD and OB/GYN.
He knows of Rebecca's situation and I used the time to ask him questions. His belief is that sugars, carbs, and yeast should be eliminated. A diet rich in protein and vegetables, and certain fruits.
I don't follow a particular diet for Rebecca. I base a lot of my knowledge by reading DogtorJ's website and learning about the GARD diet. I have studied both the Ketogenic diet and the Atkins diet, as well as the LGIT. I think many of the diets / nutritional plans are saying similar things, but I think each person has to see the cause and effect over time. Some may need to be tested for food allergies, while others are fine with eliminating certain foods. Each individual is so unique, it isn't one size fits all.

I can't see a doctor being upset with a patient wanting to eat healthy. Increasing those foods that might protect any depletion caused by your meds, and staying away from any processed foods. Don't be surprised if your doc's eye glaze over. I have mentioned it to neurologists and they look at me as if saying "Now why would I think that is important" ... I think a more important person to talk to would be your mom. If she helps cook and shop for you, the support there is a must.

I don't keep a separated journal for Rebecca food wise, but I do make note of any times the diet is challenged by anything not recommended. Or if there is a seizure, I count back two days and write down the meals that I know of and see if there is any relationship. That is how I do it, others might have different ways.

Thanks Robin

I haven't had a chance to mention anything about the diet to my Mum yet but will do when I get a chance.
My parents usualy do take me shopping because they shop on the same day as me but I do my shopping & my parents do their shopping. My Mum usualy only cooks for me when I visit her but both she is a big support when I need her .

Sorry I am a bit slow as to keeping up with everyones living arrangements.
This makes it all the more easier, as you and only you have to decide what you will eat. Poor Rebecca lives with a brother that comes in with take out from the local hamburger joints, and throws back sodas like they are water. I follow the nutritional changes with her, but no one else in the house does. I work very hard not to have food in the house that would be off limits to her.

Pizza is made with gluten free crust, goat cheese, organic garlic pasta sauce and casein free salami. She likes it better than take out now. I make that about once or twice a month. A piece of meat and a salad, hamburger with gluten free bread, rice pasta with sauce. Now according to my doctor today, I need to get the carbs out of the diet. Wouldn't hurt me either. More creativity is needed on my part.

So by keeping a journal you mean just write down when I started the diet or what foods I stopped taking?

I already keep an epilepsy diary and keep record of when its that time of the month so another journal won't bother me :).

In the beginning, I'd recommend writing down everything you eat or drink in your existing seizure diary. Keeping a record of what you are ingesting can help you spot patterns related to seizure activity even when the relationship is delayed (not everything provokes an immediate reaction).

I'd recommend you do that right now before you even start a new diet.

In the beginning, I'd recommend writing down everything you eat or drink in your existing seizure diary. Keeping a record of what you are ingesting can help you spot patterns related to seizure activity even when the relationship is delayed (not everything provokes an immediate reaction).

I'd recommend you do that right now before you even start a new diet.

Hi Bernard
I think I will start writing down what i eat like you said and do that until I see the Neuro and speak to him about the different diets.

Hi all

I went to the Neurologist Today & he has increased my Topamax to an extra 1/2 a tablet in the morning & evening which will put me up to 300mg Topamax a day. At the moment my neuro is going to keep me on the Tegretol & Topamax & see how I go with that. We're hopeing the increase in the medication will stop the turns I take.

I did research the diets everyone told me about & for now I have decided that at this stage I am not going to try one of the diets. I am going to continue with the food diary and write down everything I eat. I did tell the Neuro about the food diary and the diets & he was happy with whatever I decided & thought the diary was a good idea.

It was 8 months since I last saw my Neuro because I waited until I had taken a few seizures. My Neuro asked me to let him know straight away next time I have a seizure even if I have to ring him so we can discuss the next step.

Last edited:
I did tell the Neuro about the food diary and the diets & he was happy with whatever I decided & thought teh diary was a good idea.

Holy_Grail_God_small.gif

'Course it's a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom