OMG!-I'm pregnant!!!Advice needed!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loudmouth

New
Reaction score
For the last few weeks, I've been feeling a little strange. I was putting it down to the change in my meds, but I did a pregnancy test, just to rule that out before I went to the GP. SHOCK!! It was positive, I'm pregnant (number 4!/number 6 between me & my partner). I'm no longer taking topamax or epilim, when I saw my neurologist (before I found out, I only found out last night), he took me off everything except the Gabapentin. I'm on 1200mg/day of that. What are the possible effects of gabapentin on a foetus? Even my pharmacist has no advice, It's too new over here. HELP!! Should I take a larger than normal dose of folic acid? I CAN'T wait til monday, need SOME advice now. Very 'head in the air' at the moment, as we had not planned any more children for the foreseeable future, in fact I was looking forward to my 'break' when my youngest starts full-time school on tuesday! I have had at least one child at home all day non-stop for 10 years, so this was REALLY unexpected. OMG! no-one over here seems to know ANYTHING about the effects of gabapentin during pregnancy. AARRGGHH!!

Birdy's right

Googling gabapentin & pregnancy comes up with some really good hits.

In the meantime, I went directly to rxlist.com......

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/gabapent.htm

Good luck! You have an awful lot of information to deal with.... I will be thinking of you...

Meetz
:rock:

I agree with everyone and Congrats!

:)

And please do follow along with Bernard and
BB's links below!

Is there one of those AED in pregnancy registry's for the UK? My pharmacist said something about the UK needs more case studies done. (There were none in his big book). I really wish it was monday. I don't have an epilepsy nurse, my EA lady is on holiday for the next 2 weeks, my GP knows about as much about specific problems in epilepsy as he does about driving a car that ISN'T made by Jaguar, and my next neuro appointment is meant to be in JANUARY fgs! OH god, I'm panicking!

Last edited:
BUT...on the plus side, it would be rather nice to have a littlie in the house, it's been a while. Wonder if I can remember how to put a nappy on?!

It appears

that there are at least a couple......check out the link I'm pasting in. It should lead you to them. These are the results I got when I Googled "anti epileptic drug registry united kingdom" One's called EURAP. Another I'm not quite sure....but there's a link to Medscape.com.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLJ&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=antiepileptic+drug+registry+united+kingdom&spell=1"]antiepileptic drug registry united kingdom - Google Search[/ame]

Congratulations!how exciting!
Great to see you will get the info you need from the wonderful people here.
Best wishes and i hope it all goes well.
Cheryl.

Back
Top Bottom