On the subject of 'Musicophilia'...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

speber

CWE Muse / Playing With Angels
Reaction score
...forum member Renee97 has a used copy of Dr. Oliver Sack's book she would like to sell if anyone is interested. Please send her a PM for details. You can find direct links to 'Musicophelia' through my signature line for more details on Oliver Sack's work.

I would have purchased her copy but my father gave me his copy for Christmas! It's interesting stuff.
:rock:

psychology

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/15-10/ff_musicophilia

Oliver Sacks on Earworms, Stevie Wonder and the View From Mescaline Mountain

[Wired:] Can playing music alter the structure of the brain?

[Sacks:] Very strikingly. In musicians, parts of the corpus callosum — the bridge between the two hemispheres — are enlarged, and there's more gray matter in the cerebellum. While you can't tell by a glance at someone's brain if they're a writer or a mathematician, you can tell if they're a musician.

Last edited:
Wow. That's a confident statement in the scientific arena there! Sounds good though.

fast learner

Hey, Speber, Maybe that is why you manage to learn at a faster than average rate.

found it

OK, ok, I like ELP, and King Crimson.

I just got out of the Montreal Neurological Institute a few days ago where I made it half-way through book Musicophelia.

I was amazed how the guy who started the institute, Wilder Pennfield as well as Robert Zatorre from the institute were both mentioned in the book while I was there for observation & treatment. If Music does interest you you might be interested in Robert Zatorres Homepage where he discusses his research in the connection to neurology & audio processes as well as checking out Musicophelia by Oliver Sacks who discusses their (and many other peoples including his own) research and experiences.

Last edited:
Sacks rocks! I've read several of his other books, and they've all helped me with stacks of info for living with brain damage. This research looks amazing as well, I've often wondered about a connection.

*Site bookmarked. Cheers :clap:

Sacks rocks! I've read several of his other books, and they've all helped me with stacks of info for living with brain damage. This research looks amazing as well, I've often wondered about a connection.

*Site bookmarked. Cheers :clap:

I just came across this book called[ame="http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0452288525"]This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession: Daniel J. Levitin: 9780452288522: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vtlH84hEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41vtlH84hEL[/ame]

What caught my interest & made me feel the need to mention it was the books description which from the description made me agree wholeheartedly with the last sentence.
Music, Science, and the Brain are more closely related than you think. Daniel J. Levitin, James McGill Professor of Psychology and Music at McGill University, shows you why this is.

In this groundbreaking union of art and science, rocker-turned-neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin (The World in Six Songs) explores the connection between music, its performance, its composition, how we listen to it, why we enjoy it, and the human brain. Drawing on the latest research and on musical examples ranging from Mozart to Duke Ellington to Van Halen, Levitin reveals:

-How composers produce some of the most pleasurable effects of listening to music by exploiting the way our brains make sense of the world
-Why we are so emotionally attached to the music we listened to as teenagers, whether it was Fleetwood Mac, U2, or Dr. Dre
-That practice, rather than talent, is the driving force behind musical expertise
-How those insidious little jingles (called earworms) get stuck in our head

Taking on prominent thinkers who argue that music is nothing more than an evolutionary accident, Levitin poses that music is fundamental to our species, perhaps even more so than language. A Los Angeles Times Book Award finalist, This Is Your Brain on Music will attract readers of Oliver Sacks, as it is an unprecedented, eye-opening investigation into an obsession at the heart of human nature.

My god I'd like to know how to stop 'earworms' lmao

My mum thanks you- that's my little xmas prezzie sorted out :)

My god I'd like to know how to stop 'earworms' lmao

My mum thanks you- that's my little xmas prezzie sorted out :)

Slim, I hate 'earworms'! After my 3 year old grandson goes home I have some of the awfullest songs stuck it my head. They usually involve the alphabet, as that is his obsession.

LOL I guess it's better than the Teletubbies theme :p

Sometimes it's just one or two lines over and over, it drives me nuts- and everyone round me if I'm humming it constantly.

I'm not sure if the meds or E make it worse, or if I'm slowly losing it lol but the best way of getting rid of them for me, is to just stick the song on repeat till I'm sick of it. It's very odd though..

Back
Top Bottom