Once again, about smoking...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
My quit date is Monday. My neurologist told me to reduce slowly - no cold turky. One day I'll have maybe seven cigarettes then move up to pack (or a little more) then reduce the next day back to a little under a half pack. This is not reducing slowly and is probably jarring my system. Still, I'm strongly set that my 53rd birthday will be the day I'm smoke free no matter if I'm traveling up or down with intake. So far no seizures with this unfortunate pattern but I am wondering if anyone has any input. Laurie :ponder:

Do you limit yourself to WHERE you can have your cigarette ?....this is usually a good one, especially if it's out in the back yard - that way, if it rains you'll think twice.

Another one - limit yourself to how many drags you can have on the cigarette before stubbing it out. Put it back in the box, and light it up next time you go out....<yeuch>....apparently.

Lucky for me I have just never found it appealing, or seen the point in lighting something up, sticking it in my mouth, and inhaling a pot of ash.....kinda confuses me, so I've always steered clear of it.

Do you limit yourself to WHERE you can have your cigarette ?....this is usually a good one, especially if it's out in the back yard - that way, if it rains you'll think twice.

Another one - limit yourself to how many drags you can have on the cigarette before stubbing it out. Put it back in the box, and light it up next time you go out....<yeuch>....apparently.

Lucky for me I have just never found it appealing, or seen the point in lighting something up, sticking it in my mouth, and inhaling a pot of ash.....kinda confuses me, so I've always steered clear of it.
Yes. Tee Tees, it's a nasty habit I'm not proud of. I limit my smoking to the kitchen. Good idea to stub it out half way. I know I'd never light up the remaining half! Still wondering if vacillating between a pack then half a pack would cause any problems when I quit on Monday. If I get it to five over the weekend I might be OK. Thanks Tee Teez - Laurie

Yes. Tee Tees, it's a nasty habit I'm not proud of. I limit my smoking to the kitchen. Good idea to stub it out half way. I know I'd never light up the remaining half! Still wondering if vacillating between a pack then half a pack would cause any problems when I quit on Monday. If I get it to five over the weekend I might be OK. Thanks Tee Teez - Laurie

I'm wondering if jarring between the half-pack one day, and a whole pack the next would create too much of a nicotine surge on the whole days ? This could make you feel real light-headed, and cause OTHER problems.

Why don't you take how many you're on now, and just reduce them weekly by one/two per day (depending how brave you feel) ?

Another good tip would be for me to invite you to my Uncle - he's hooked up to a oxygen tank that he has to take everywhere due to smoking roll-ups (loads of 'em) when he was younger. Is it ever worth it, I ask myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Laurie, am I to understand that Monday is your Birthday. You want to be smoke free on your birthday.

Curious how you feel when you do the vacillating? Are there vitamins that can help with the reduction? I know green tea helps with weight loss fatigue. Maybe there is something that is suggested for the initial shock to the system while quitting.

Treat yourself for good behavior. That always works for me.

I agree with Tee Tees. I limit myself to smoking outside. And I have to finish a task first, and can't smoke two in a row. The hardest time to quit, is when you're around other smokers.

Hi Robin

So Laurie, am I to understand that Monday is your Birthday. You want to be smoke free on your birthday.

Curious how you feel when you do the vacillating? Are there vitamins that can help with the reduction? I know green tea helps with weight loss fatigue. Maybe there is something that is suggested for the initial shock to the system while quitting.

Treat yourself for good behavior. That always works for me.
How do I feel when I vacillate? When I over smoke I "Laurie bash". When have a better day my self esteem is hightened. I guess I just self sabotage. Unfortunatly, this extends to other areas of my life! I should look into vitamines specifically for the smoking situation (I take plenty as it stands). There is a medication that's supposed to be a great help but it's too expensive. The patch is a no no if you have epilepsy. I drink green tea every day,and as I'll no doubt be feeling a bit tired without the stimulant, I'll just drink more. As a reward, I'll be giving myself a facial steam. Get that junk out of my pores! Oh. I'll begin with the whitening strips I've been saving for this day.
Thanks for your support Robin! Laurie

I had parents that smoked, and I detested it. We kids begged them both to quit.
My dad had pnumonia and was told to quit by a doctor. He did "cold turkey".
Years later my mom was told she had emphysema and also quit "cold turkey".

You will be blessing your body when you do this.

I was meaning how do you physically feel. I can imagine how you mentally feel.

Vitamins and the physical

My dad had pnumonia and was told to quit by a doctor. He did "cold turkey".
Years later my mom was told she had emphysema and also quit "cold turkey".

You will be blessing your body when you do this.

I was meaning how do you physically feel. I can imagine how you mentally feel.
Just looked up vitamines on the net. Beta carotene and folate are good vitamines along with C,E,B-12 which I already take. So this weekend I'll be buying the first two. How do I fee physically? Simple. I breath easier when I smoke less and happen to drink more water which makes me feel "cleaner". Thank you for sharing your story about your parents. I'll be thinking about these kinds of examples. Laurie

have no idea if smoking interfers ...probably best if you did quit though. my son smokes also and wonder if it has an effect on his siezures

Central Nervous System - Smoking

why did he tell u to quit?
He said it would be a shock to my system. Though I've had days without smoking at all then next day oversmoking. I did not have a seizure. Many, many months later I did have one seizure so this is why I'm cautious. I was a two pack a day smoker for many years. Past six months reduced to one pack. Now, between 20 cigs to 10. I guess this is why I'm concerned. Just wan't to avoid another episode and live a healthy life overall. Actually, in my 30's I stopped for 10 years - even went through a divorce without picking up. Ultimately, being smoke free causes you to be less nervous in the long run. I have to remember how I felt those 10 years. Laurie :e:

Ditto what Robin said.

Both my parents eventually quit. My dad had an easier time time, but I don't think he was as serious a smoker as my mom.

Mom quit cold turkey more than 20 years ago before over-the counter nicotine replacement therapies existed. She used a smoke stopper's program offered through her workplace that used mostly behavioral therapies to help them. One of the the most effective for her was to place all her cigarette butts in a jar partly filled with water for a week, and then after that, every time she wanted a cigarette, she had to take a big sniff of the contents in the jar. YUCKKO! She said after that first sniff, she never smoked another cigarette. I know the physical withdrawal was extremely hard on her. She was very grumpy and slept alot for about two weeks. We mostly stayed away from her during that time.

I wish you much luck!

Just stubbed out my last!

Ditto what Robin said.

Both my parents eventually quit. My dad had an easier time time, but I don't think he was as serious a smoker as my mom.

Mom quit cold turkey more than 20 years ago before over-the counter nicotine replacement therapies existed. She used a smoke stopper's program offered through her workplace that used mostly behavioral therapies to help them. One of the the most effective for her was to place all her cigarette butts in a jar partly filled with water for a week, and then after that, every time she wanted a cigarette, she had to take a big sniff of the contents in the jar. YUCKKO! She said after that first sniff, she never smoked another cigarette. I know the physical withdrawal was extremely hard on her. She was very grumpy and slept alot for about two weeks. We mostly stayed away from her during that time.

I wish you much luck!
I, too, did the cigs in the jar. Water turned dark amber within a few days. Didn't stop me but today is my birthday and I know the best present to give myself is a longer presence in life! In fact, just put on Crest White Strips just now! Thanks for your encouragemant!
Always - Laurie :banana:

I hope you are doing well with this. My husband just tried Accupuncture for smoking cessations and said it was great. Supposedly, it helps with the nicotine withdrawl symptons so all you have to focus on is the mental habit of smoking... (e.g always smoking after eating, driving in the car) He said it was much much easier than any other time he tried and is still successful!!!

Back
Top Bottom