Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My daughter was diagnosed with absence seizure epilepsy at 4. One of the most common forms of seizures in children but one which is often unnoticed or misunderstood. Around this time, when she had a seizure she would stare into space, her eyes would darken and look vacant, she would stop moving or talking and sometime would urinate. She would be confused, erratic or out of sorts when she came round from one of these episodes.

Following diagnosis, I was expected without question to medicate and we left hospital with a prescriptions for a supply of drugs with a name I couldn't even recognise. My gut reaction was that I didn't want to do things this way - there just had to be another option for us. After looking into the heavy drugs which were being prescribed to my little girl, I was scared by the possible side effects to these and after reading online that these weren't just describing the extreme cases and how many people described how absence seizures were linked with learning difficulties, my own research came to the conclusion that it wasn't just the absences that effected learning but the medication prescribed to treat the seizures. I felt I was between a rock and a hard place, damned if i did and damned if i didn't. I decided to reply on my gut instincts and the parental intuition I had been blessed with. After a very hard decision and with a very unsupportive neurology department at the hospital where Lille was being observed, I opted against it and instead changed our lifestyle; food and products.

I discovered so much along the way about healthy eating and less harmful products and way to keep my little one healthy. We discovered which harmful chemicals to look for in the things we washed with, the products in foods - which food were worth buying organic and which foods added additional stresses on the body. We discovered smoothies and ways of sneaking amazing nutrients into Lille's body and supplements which could actually make a difference - and those which were a waste of time. I put things into Lille's bath and I cleansed Lille's liver through healing foods and massage. Within a week of making some small changes her seizures had gone from 150 a day to 50 and then reduced further still the week after

They continued to diminish through another 2 years and then 6 months ago stopped completely. She's now 8, never gets poorly and is a healthy vibrant little girl. The doctors estimated that they wanted her to stay on the drugs for the forseeable future often throughout childhood. If I hadn't have taken this road, I never would have known that she had the power to overcome her absences by herself, she may still be heavily reliant on the drugs (as we wouldn't be able to see break through seizures anyway) and the side effects of the medication causing huge problems for her health, behaviour, energy levels and her ability to learn effectively.

I absoloutley know that not everyone has this option and their children couldn't cope without the support of medication but it is a message for everyone about the power of a healthy 'green' lifestyle and the faith that with the right ingredients our bodies have the power to heal themselves. Even if its just to support the bodies balance alongside the medication.

I have written a childrens book specifically for absence seizures called 'sarah Jayne has staring moments' which is available both on Amazon and on my website called sjstaringmoments

I hope that others can benefit or take comfort or inspiration from my story or my children's book.

Warm wishes kate and her marvel of a daughter, lille xxx :soap:

Hi Kate, welcome to CWE.

There are a lot of members here who are using diet (whether in whole or in part) to help control their seizure activity. What kind of diet did you implement for Lille? A paleo diet?

Here's a link to the book on Amazon: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0957409303/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0957409303&linkCode=as2&tag=projectmana0a-20"]Sarah Jayne Has Staring Moments: Kate Lambert: 9780957409309: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Back
Top Bottom