Outpatient Video EEG. What to expect?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have a 48 hour outpatient video EEG scheduled for next week, and all of the video EEG threads I have read have been inpatient. I've never had a video EEG done before so since it will be at home, will I be confined to my bedroom?

I've done an ambulatory EEG and an inpatient VEEG, but I didn't know there were outpatient VEEGs!

I was going to have this at one point, but didn't; my name came up quickly for the in-patient one. Based on how it was going to be for me, though, I would not be confined to my bedroom because my seizures are nocturnal. During the day the EEG part would still be running to obtain inter-ictal information, and at night I would be expected to turn the camera on.

I'm guessing it would depend on which type you're having them. Or if you have them during certain times.

Hi skyfire,

I've never have a VEEG done at home, but have had it done in the hospital. This website explains it done in the hospital and at home

:http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/diagnosis/eeg/video-eeg

Video EEG tests can be done at home or in the outpatient setting, like an EEG lab.

Some centers can send video equipment home with someone having ambulatory EEG monitoring. This testing may help record a person's activity and seizures during their routine daily activities and during sleep. This is hard to do if someone lives alone as someone is needed to help with the equipment and help the person during a seizure.

Due to safety risks, seizure medications are generally not lowered for EEG testing done outside of a hospital setting.

I did a 72 hour outpatient video EEG? I wore a belt unit around. It was attached to the wires that led to my head. I would plug in to the camera at bedtime. It was bulky and set on the nightstand. It was integral and did wonders in the long run. Anyway, I was able to move around and even leave the house if I wanted. There was a button on the belt to bookmark a point in case you know you have or are going to have a seizure. Others obviously can trigger that as well.

Yours may our may not be similar.

I've only ever had a sleep deprived EEG and have a Inpatient Video Telemetry coming up. Good luck for yours, I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run

I just had an at home EEG a few weeks ago an even though I did NOT push the button it still recorded the information for the doctor and the techs. You see I don't get any auras for my seizures. Apparently, there was lots of partial seizure activity that I was not aware of. It consisted of a waist pack that connected to the wires on the head. I only had to wear it for only 24 hours.

Tina

Thanks for the information everyone! :) Once I get the results, I'll let you all know!

I finally got the results! My neurologist was taken aback when he saw them. My other EEG's showed typical activity for one with epilepsy, especially when I reported auras, etc. The thing he was surprised was with was that there were times where there was massive amounts of activity where I didn't feel anything. Luckily, no seizures were recorded.

I brought up the possibility of switching medication. I've been on Lamictal since I was first diagnosed, so I'm thinking that my body is just immune to it now. He said that COULD be a possibility, but for now he's only increasing the Zonegran by 100 mg. If that doesn't do anything, than we may try weening me off of Lamictal and trying Depakote.

Another thing we will be trying is... Let's just say it's currently only legal in a few states right now. A neurologist in my town just got approved by the FDA to begin a test study on people with epilepsy to see if the herb works.

I brought up the possibility of switching medication. I've been on Lamictal since I was first diagnosed, so I'm thinking that my body is just immune to it now. He said that COULD be a possibility, but for now he's only increasing the Zonegran by 100 mg. If that doesn't do anything, than we may try weening me off of Lamictal and trying Depakote.

Another thing we will be trying is... Let's just say it's currently only legal in a few states right now. A neurologist in my town just got approved by the FDA to begin a test study on people with epilepsy to see if the herb works.

Let's hope the increase of Zonegran works. Depakote is a drug that can cause massive weight gain.

The other option you're considering is legal in my state and a few of the neuros around the state are also taking part in this study.

http://www.epilepsycolorado.org/index.php?s=12105

Back
Top Bottom