Parker anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oh Shelly, finish! I love the poem. Would you bring it to The Creative Writing Page?

book

You do remember my saying it was copied from a book?
Isn't the Creative Writing Page all about creative originality?

:) Oh! The Creative Writing Page is very flexible. Plenty of members post poems written by other writers, just to share and inspire. Would love you to bring that beautiful poem over. For sure, you'll get comments. Some very nice and interesting dialouge goes on over there! Now, I'm remembering that you contributed to the story trail "Trading in the Diamonds". It's becoming very interesting. Like a mystical mystery story. Come and jump in again! Right now it's me and two other members. A little lonely lately.

Last edited:
I'm generally

not a fan of poems, but I do like Parker's.......and those quotes of hers that you put up in the very first post, Cinnabar, are PRICELESS!! :)

My favorite is "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think". That one was on the spot. What an example of quick wit! She was an every day drinker. Maybe, that's why the rest of us come up the less!
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited:
Where Dorothy hung out

Dorothy and her literary peers would hang out at The Algonquin Hotel in Manhattan from lunch time, way past dinner time. Drinking, clever remarks, drinking, clever remarks, drunk...

When living in Manhattan I had the pleasure of frequenting the Algonquin Hotel having a few with friends. Though we were not so witty as to be roped off away from the crowd in red velevet rope like Dorothy and her coterie.

Sometimes in afternoons I would just sit in one of the Lobby's comfey chairs and read, with the resident cat roaming around then settling in a comfey chair himself. I always felt at home at The Algonquin and wish I could have had just a taste of their era. To sit at their table and see what happens.

I would have a couple of amusing stories to tell. Like how I wondered how one office bully managed to walk all over his staff with both foot in mouth. I did tell him that after he had indirectly insulted me.

What funny, witty stories can we come up with in honor of Dorothy? Even one of our grandfather's old funny tales? Let's creat our own Algonquin Round Table! But we'll have to pass on all the booze...

Now, I present The Alqonquin Hotel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obj...e" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Dorothy Parkerizms...

OK. I'll start with a Parkerizm:

I hate being called "sweetie" by people I don't know. Years back a young woman, my age, who liked to condescend called me "sweetie". I replied. "If you got to know me better you'd discover that there is very little that is sweet about me". She had nothing to say and never spoke to me again. Goal accomplished!

Now in truth, I am a generally sweet person. But strangers should never make assumptions!

:pop: Anyone else?!

a guy i work with is 57. he's constantly hounding me withthe pet name "little girl"

NowI admit, i'm short. i'm 5 foot 2 and i am about 130lbs. so i'm what he'd consider little. I'm also 20, so i'm young, but not a little girls. I told him a million times that I don't enjoy the pet name and i'll find one for him that matches if he didnt stop.

So now I call him "Fat Old Man"... only now it happens when he lets "Little Girl" slip

Our company Christmas parties are always interesting, this year was no execption.
It was held at a local Japanes restaurant, and the wait for our chef was slightly lenghty so we were liberally enjoying the sake. One of our staff while on personal leave had found his inner paranoia and was discussing multiple theories reagarding the recent world events. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pile of index cards with dates and references so he could better explain to the staff member sitting next to him. I having enjoyed a little too much sake on a very empty stomach piped up with "Oh dear its The "Coles" Conspiracy Notes" Those within earshot had a difficult time remaining seated, thankfully the man with the cards was not one of them!

Rae. Ha! A similar situation. I was just about your age, 19, and worked part time for a prestigious video house working my way through college. I worked as busy front door receptionist. A very large impressive man with black cloak and dark sunglasses walked in and while I was busy on the phone (no matter to him) he patted me on the head like a dog and said "What a pretty young thing. Soooo young", he leered. He walked into the studio behind my area to oversee the shoot. When the red light on the door went off, I went in to deliver a message. On my way out I turned to the man and said "Sir, if you feel I'm soooo young then you must feel ancient." I walked out and shut the door. Within ten minutes I was summoned up to Personel. The Personel Manager was a woman who was ordered to stronly recommand me as this man was the company's biggest client. She had a very difficult time of it and burst out laughing. She was a gay feminist.

A Parkerish story passed down from the generations

My great grandmother and grandfather were attending a play. A woman in front of them was blocking the view, wearing a large plumed hat. My great grandmother asked her if she would remove her hat. The woman, in a snit, turned around and said "Would you want me to remove my head as well?" My great grandmother replied "It wouldn't be missed".

Back
Top Bottom