Partial seizures and work?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The b**ch of it is that I don't qualify to go back out on short term disability, I'm not eligible for long term disability, and I'm walking on thin ice due to attendance. I'm really hesitant about applying for SSDI because of how long it takes, and with the way my epilepsy works, I highly doubt it would be worth it.

Do you live in Canada?

I hide my minor seizures and still work and will need to keep this up for about 10 more years until I can retire. Only me and my wife know. My big ones are under control.
It's sad that this is an all too real problem around the globe for people with seizures. Every job I've applied for since having seizures I've gone through the weigh up of whether my seizures are under control well enough that I can get away with not telling them about it when I apply because even though they aren't allowed to discriminate if it comes down to deciding between you and someone completely healthy you know who they will choose.

I should point out here that I am in the IT industry and am behind a computer all the time so there is zero risk to my coworkers.

The same goes now for uni. I don't tell any of my lecturers or tutors about seizures because they call student health services who hold you there til someone comes to get you

It's probably the best suited since in theory you can work the hours and from the locations which work best for you and still earn reasonable money. I would argue the best job in the IT industry would be developer, and more specifically web developer

It's probably the best suited since in theory you can work the hours and from the locations which work best for you and still earn reasonable money. I would argue the best job in the IT industry would be developer, and more specifically web developer

Cloud computing is taking off so you maybe right

Back
Top Bottom