Passtimes and hobbies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Odds are the reason I learned how to do a lot of stuff was while laid up after injury. I am really excited to have my sewing machines back though the next few days will be fixing clothes and back packs

Recently, I've made a larger lap quilt, and 2 apron & potholder sets. I also made a quilted cover to put over the plastic cover that came with my sewing machine. Now I'm in the process of making another large quilt (or at least its top) for my mother-in-law. My husband will take it to her when he visits--probably this coming January or February. I'm planning on making apron & potholder sets as gifts for friends.
I've also started making beaded hairclips & barrettes. When I started needing them to help keep my scarf in place, their cost shocked me. I saw realized that I could easily make beautiful ones for FAR less.

mom sent me the thing to make paper curtains, i am debating it

After I left my job in March and my anxiety was fairly high my dad started taking me for drives.

My parents go 4 wheel driving but my mum isnt a fan of the steep hills which I love so dad takes me on those. I really enjoy it so sometimes I go 4wd driver either just us or with the 4wd group they're in

I've always been into sewing--my mom sewed a lot when I was growing up. She made my party dresses when I was very little & our native clothes because we rarely traveled to Pakistan, & anything available here was too expensive. For some reason, though, sewing clothing doesn't interest me much. Quilting appeals to me because it involves a lot of geometry & math and is more challenging. That is probably why I enjoy counted cross stitch as well, compared to pre-stamped embroidery patterns.

Mom would make our clothes, I enjoyed it because I could have puffy sleeves with three button cuffs.
I know. I just dated myself. I don't mind.
The only thing I ever did with a needle and thread were sutures, in my professional life. Wasn't too bad at it either. :)

i havent been able to afford fabric for a bit, especially to cut up and make art with for a bit, but it would be nice to make a piece of applique

Mom sewed a lot of my clothes. Then we moved to a very rural area when I was 10 and had too much energy for her to get work done. She taught me to sew my own clothes that summer. After that, she refused and said I could make them. In high school, I learned how to take guy's jeans and modify them for a female body. This let me have jeans that were long enough - and, of course, guys clothes are cheaper. In college, I would patch everyone's jeans (just dated myself there). In the summer, I would make a pant suit because the challenge of matching plaids, and making it the perfect size (long arms and legs), took away the boredom of summer. My senior year, I made a Vogue pattern suit to wear to my job interviews. Then I worked and could afford clothes. When I had a baby, I thought it would be nice to sew for her. The supplies for a toddler's dress was $40!! And that was back in 1994 or 5. I haven't sewed a whole lot since my kids were in school. But give me string and sticks and I'll knit something 🧶🧤

I've always been into sewing--my mom sewed a lot when I was growing up. She made my party dresses when I was very little & our native clothes because we rarely traveled to Pakistan, & anything available here was too expensive. For some reason, though, sewing clothing doesn't interest me much. Quilting appeals to me because it involves a lot of geometry & math and is more challenging. That is probably why I enjoy counted cross stitch as well, compared to pre-stamped embroidery patterns.
My mum sewed a bit when we were kids. Made a lot of my sisters and my clothes. My sister didn't like it much since there was 8 years between us lol. She made bears for a while then covid hit, now she does card making

My sister is a really crafty and artistic person, she sews a lot and makes a variety of things.

I think i mentioned already i did counted cross stitch for a while when I was a late teen until my early 30s but gave it up because the meds made me tired and lost interest. Ive started it up again, Im currently doing a quote for my mum, was supposed to be mothers day (in May) but at the time i was just getting my depression & moods sorted. Its taken me ages to get into it until now as I really want to get it done by christmas.

I have another smaller cross stitch i want to get done for my dad which is a funny picture.

I recall when those ridiculous ripped/patched jeans were first in style. My sister wanted a pair that at time were $40+. My father told her to give me an old pair of her jeans, & I could make them truly unique--FOR FREE. I never cared to be one of those kids--wearing the "latest" or most "in" thing, my sister did. I've always look for things that would last in style & quality.

I recall when those ridiculous ripped/patched jeans were first in style. My sister wanted a pair that at time were $40+. My father told her to give me an old pair of her jeans, & I could make them truly unique--FOR FREE. I never cared to be one of those kids--wearing the "latest" or most "in" thing, my sister did. I've always look for things that would last in style & quality.
One of my brothers did that in the 80s. From memory my parents got him a good pair of jeans for his birthday and he ripped them.
Now you spend a fortune to buy them already ripped or shorts with no material :ROFLMAO:

Im not into fashion, im into comfort

I'm working on another large quilt top. I'll send that to a cousin in Pakistan who had really liked some of the quilts I'd made (in pictures) & asked for one. There, she can have it finished how she wants. A thin lining can be added, or just a backing.

I'm working on another large quilt top. I'll send that to a cousin in Pakistan who had really liked some of the quilts I'd made (in pictures) & asked for one. There, she can have it finished how she wants. A thin lining can be added, or just a backing.
That's very nice of you.

I want to go to nice fabric store here just to touch stuff

Back
Top Bottom