Pest Fumigation Effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems after fumigation for pests?

My apartments are fumigating the building next to mine (connected by a roof), and we are required to evacuate for several days. Although they won’t be doing my apartment directly I’m really worried. I assume that the gas will get into my apartment. It’s sulfuryal flouride - a neurotoxin (plus whatever other stuff might be in it). I have very frequent/continuous simple partials (fuzzy feelings). I’ve been doing very well, but I don’t want the stuff anywhere near my apartment.

I’ll have to live with my mother several days which will make my bicycle commute to work bad.
I have to move ALL my food.
I have to move or sell my saltwater fish tank.
I‘ll have to think about moving all my cloths/furniture.
Basically this is a lot of stress I don’t need.

Any experience with this? My landlord is nice and we have a good relationship.

Sorry no experience with that kind of thing. I hope they do it quickly, with no lasting harm to your place. Any chance you can ask the folks doing the fumigating what to expect? Maybe they can provide some reassurance or guidance on whether you need to take such drastic measures.

Sorry no experience with that kind of thing. I hope they do it quickly, with no lasting harm to your place. Any chance you can ask the folks doing the fumigating what to expect? Maybe they can provide some reassurance or guidance on whether you need to take such drastic measures.
Thanks. It turns out they are going to tent my building. I decided I should get as much of my stuff out as possible. It’s going to cost $$$. I have a less than two weeks. I would try to get another apartment, but I was hoping to look for a job elsewhere when my lease runs out. My seizures are already worse because of the stress of having so much to figure out. I think I’ll take tomorrow off to talk to the landlord (nicely), and see what my options are.

Oh no, i'm not sure where you live but i'm sure there should be some sort of recompense for the inconvenience and rent you're paying for a place you can't use. I'm in the UK and at my last flat i discovered it was infested with rats and fleas after i'd already moved in, so i refused to pay the rent until they made the place liveable (and after i slapped a rats tail on their office desk since they didn't believe me). If you have house and contents insurance you may be able to make a claim on that also, but it would suck to lose a no-claims bonus because of your neighbours. I hope the chat with your landlord turns up some helpful results

Follow-up. The landlord offered to move some of my stuff out of the apartment free of charge (my cloths, mattress, and sofa). She gave me the option of moving permanently to another apartment. I stayed at my mother's for about a week. When I came in 2 days after it was "cleared" I could still smell it (probably the tear gas), I had to be there a few hours. It gave me a headache and my seizures got worse. Other residents could also smell it for days, and my neighbor's eyes were burning. When I moved back in on the 7th day I could still smell it. I got a high powered fan to blow fresh air in the window, and turned on the kitchen and bathroom exhausts. I got a carbon filter for the air conditioner and ran the fan.

Basically, if it happens stay away completely for a few days, go back to visit to open the windows and ventilate the house with as much air as possible for a few days before moving back in. Leave the windows open several days before returning, and get a carbon "odor" filter for your central air. If I had not had the high power fan to blow air in the window I may have had to stay away more than a week.

Oh no, i'm not sure where you live but i'm sure there should be some sort of recompense for the inconvenience and rent you're paying for a place you can't use. I'm in the UK and at my last flat i discovered it was infested with rats and fleas after i'd already moved in, so i refused to pay the rent until they made the place liveable (and after i slapped a rats tail on their office desk since they didn't believe me). If you have house and contents insurance you may be able to make a claim on that also, but it would suck to lose a no-claims bonus because of your neighbours. I hope the chat with your landlord turns up some helpful results
I think they referring to bed bugs they get lots there.tenting I thinks means covering apartment with something like tent and then they take the heat way up.
I love it putting rats tail on table think gone one further left rat with it ...rats and mice do not bother me but refuse live same house with them so foxes are encouraged...my seagulls make quick work of them....unfortunately my neighbour is infested with mice and mice travel...I got no problem I pick them up if find nests I remove them rehoused in the front garden of the man who lets his dog crap outside my house

It's mostly for termites in Florida and California. (They use it for bedbugs and other pests too.) I didn't know you had urban foxes in the U.K. Wild! In the US you might very rarely see one in suburbia, with lots of open space and cover, but they tend to stay in less populated areas. You've got gobs of 'em! It said urban foxes are about the size of a cat. Ours are somewhat bigger, and very skinny, and mostly tan colored. You hardly ever see them because they're extremely shy.

Back
Top Bottom