pH of brain shuts down seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Molly97

New
Reaction score
Brain Pathway That Shuts Down Seizures Identified
ScienceDaily (June 10, 2008) — Researchers at the University of Iowa and the Veterans Affairs Iowa City Health Care System have uncovered a brain pathway that shuts down seizures.

The multidisciplinary team of scientists pieced together information from clinical observations made in the first half of the 20th century with knowledge from modern genetics and molecular biology to show that an acid-activated ion channel in the brain reacts to a drop in pH (increased acid) in a way that shuts down seizure activity.
The link between low pH in the brain and seizure termination was first hinted at nearly 80 years ago when clinical experiments showed that breathing carbon dioxide, which makes brain tissue more acidic, helps stop epileptic seizures. Subsequent studies in the 1950s found that seizures themselves reduce brain pH. However, it was the modern discovery of an acid-activated ion channel (ASIC1a) in the brain that provided the key to the UI discovery, which is reported in Nature Neuroscience Advance Online Publication on June 8.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080608131216.htm

Thanks Molly97, that's fascinating. See, they are coming up with new stuff all the time. Maybe they will even be able to put this information to good use for us.

I wonder if pH in the brain can be different than pH in the gut.

I wonder if pH in the brain can be different than pH in the gut.

I wonder that too. And, if the brain is doing it's own pH adjustment at the time of seizure, what effect would the pH of the food we consume have on it?

I have a note in my file that say acidity causes hypoxia.
Hypoxia is where the body or region is deprived of oxygen.

Sleep Apnea also can cause hypoxia.

Thinking outloud, because recently I put some algea-fix in my koi pond and killed some fish. It was hot, and as I was eliminating the algea, I also deprived the fish of oxygen. Since the chemical deprives the algea of oxygen the fish were also deprived.

I wonder if this could be the same in humans. If the pH is really unbalanced due to eating habits does it deprive the brain of enough oxygen. Could be a consideration for some.

I have a note in my file that say acidity causes hypoxia.
Hypoxia is where the body or region is deprived of oxygen.

Sleep Apnea also can cause hypoxia.

Thinking outloud, because recently I put some algea-fix in my koi pond and killed some fish. It was hot, and as I was eliminating the algea, I also deprived the fish of oxygen. Since the chemical deprives the algea of oxygen the fish were also deprived.

I wonder if this could be the same in humans. If the pH is really unbalanced due to eating habits does it deprive the brain of enough oxygen. Could be a consideration for some.

Found this site, chock full of info about the acid/alkaline balancing act the body does everyday. There are charts that I can't seem to copy/paste that have reference to respiratory problems causing both acidic and alkaline problems that result in seizures.

http://www.uhmc.sunysb.edu/internalmed/nephro/webpages/Part_E.htm

This table shows how one of the causes of gran mal seizures is lactic acidosis:

Table 3 : Etiologies of Lactic Acidosis

Increased Oxygen Consumption
Strenuous exercise
Grand mal seizures
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
Severe asthma
Pheochromocytoma

Decreased Oxygen Delivery
Decreased Cardiac Output
Hypovolemia
Cardiogenic shock
Decreased Arterial Oxygen Content
Profound anemia
Severe hypoxemia

Regional Ischemia
Microcirculatory Disturbances
Sepsis

Alterations in Cellular Metabolism
Diabetes
Thiamine deficiency
Severe alkalemia
Hypoglicemia
Malignancy

Toxins and Drugs
Congenital
Decreased Lactate Clearance
Fulminant hepatic failure
d-Lactate

The whole site is interesting about acid/alkaline balance.

www.medstudents.com.br/terin/terin5.htm

You are finding some interesting reading Molly
One just has to look at the number of antiacids on the market to know that something fishy is up. Seems a better idea not to let this occur in the first place.

I am thinking that enzymes are extremely important. We all need to be considering this, because otherwise our body does not have a way to break down the food, and get the nutrients out of it.

Back
Top Bottom