Phenobarbital

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. It is interesting to hear if there are still people taking Phenobarbital with other AEDs. My doc suggested that i tried a small dose but i already tried soooo many things that i am a bit comprehensive.
Thanks and a Happy New Year to all!

Hi 123Alice,

I started taking phenobarbital back in the early 1970's with other AED's just like you. Later on I was put on mysoline which is a little stronger
and it has phenobarbital in it so I've been using the drug for 47 yrs. now. I've found that the older AED's work better for me than the new ones
but everyone is different. If you do go on the phenobarbital be sure to take calcium every day because I ended up with a lot of bone loss do
to the phenobarbital and other meds I've taken over they yrs. and now my bones break much easier and I don't want that to happen to anyone.
I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I took Phenobarbital in the late 1980's-early 90's, right after I was diagnosed as having simple partial seizures. That's what I was given when Tegretol didn't work out.

Hi 137Alice,

Just like you I've taken many different seizure meds but nothing stopped my seizures. Later on My Dr. ordered a DNA test to be done and by doing this the Dr. found out I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market now. You may want to ask your Dr. to do a DNA test, all they have to do is draw some blood and get some salvia from your mouth this is sent to the lab where they can see the amount of enzymes in your liver and also see your body chemistry then by looking at that they can find the best seizure med to match up to your chemistry or it will show if you are drug resistant. You may want to give it a try. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi 123Alice,

I started taking phenobarbital back in the early 1970's with other AED's just like you. Later on I was put on mysoline which is a little stronger
and it has phenobarbital in it so I've been using the drug for 47 yrs. now. I've found that the older AED's work better for me than the new ones
but everyone is different. If you do go on the phenobarbital be sure to take calcium every day because I ended up with a lot of bone loss do
to the phenobarbital and other meds I've taken over they yrs. and now my bones break much easier and I don't want that to happen to anyone.
I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Please look into Magnesium-L Threonate. I'm in my 60's and was born with it. 5 years ago i took 3 250mg of magnesium glycinate daily for 2 years and my partials completely went away. After more research, the best is magnesium-l threonate. I recommend this for all EP personnel.

I have been on phenobarbital for over 30 years. My partials were disgusting. I couldn't think or talk for up to a minute. Then I tried Magnesium-L-Threonate. Two a day removed my partials in 4 months. Look into it and try it.

My worst problem was not trying it 40 years ago.

The only thing became annoying about phenobarbital (other than it not controlling my simple partials) were the monthly blood levels. I used to joke with the lab techs at our clinic that they should just stick a cork in my arm. I don't even feel needles going into my arm any more. I've also been on nearly every AED out there & still average 1-3 complex partials /month.

Back
Top Bottom