Photosensitive Epilepsy and music production, risky but worth giving it a shot.

can lifestyle changes cure photosensitive epilepsy?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

shrid321

New
Reaction score
Hello my name is Sid and i’m a aspiring engineer coping and kind-of conquering my photosensitive epilepsy.
I am 21 years old and i have been seizure free for about one and a half years since my diagnoses which involves taking a anti-epileptic drug named “Clonazepam”.
But recently i have been experiencing something quite un-familiar. you see along with being an undergraduate student i am also a aspiring electronic music producer.

So, not always, but sometimes while i’m playing an instrument which is called a drum-pad which has lights which trigger on tactile response. Now while making music on it, its like i know what i want my music has to sound like and there’s this intense moment of anticipation wherein i can feel my heartbeat rising and my attention narrowing up/ more focused , and then when i’m in the process of pressing the keys on the drum-pad, after a brief amount of time, i have this small involuntary jerk, which lasts for less than one second.

Its so quick that i can’t even comprehend it.
Now this dosent occur every time, but it occurs most of the times when i’m specifically using that/ similar kind’s of instrument or doing anything which involves immediate feedback. So far it has only been confined to playing music.
And when i experience that slight jerk, before and after it, i am continually thinking about my next move or what i should be doing.

To be specific! is it due to the lights which flash when i press the buttons on the device, or is it due to me stressing and overthinking about the fact that i have to create a specific music which results in an increased adrenaline rush and more dopamine secretion thereby increasing me seizure/jerk threshold?

Upon my prescription, i have had many EEG tests conducted which cam out to be Normal, and the doctor has in fact now suggested taking me off the medications which he had prescribed in the first place.

When i discussed these occurrences with him, he told me that, you have to do exercises such as yoga to calm your mind and exercise and have a healthy lifestyle.

Research i noticed a number of things which can occur as a side-effect to that drug which he has prescribed, and the doctor had even informed me and my family me and my parents about it. and small minuscule jerks were and highlighted mood were a part of it.

can someone please give me some suggestions and opinions as to what i should be doing because music is quite a serious hobby for me and a lot of peoples expectations lie upon my results and i don’t want to let them/ me down.
-Thank you in Advance, your advice is very much appreciated :)

It could be the repetitive motion of moving and pressing the keys that is causing the jerks. Even the sensation of touching something in a certain way, or touching something that is vibrating, etc. Have you been able to continue playing?

I would say if your EEGs are normal you have nothing to worry about. Sounds to me like you are overthinking things. If you were in fact having seizures from pressings the drum-pad buttons, are they serious enough to warrant your action? I have minor seizures myself that by themselves didn't warrant medication (until they turned into generalized seizures). That said, you've had multiple normal EEGs so there is no reason to be concerned.

If you've had epilepsy since a young age, it is possible to have grown out of it.

I agree about the overthinking.

Also did they ever end up taking you off that med which could cause that side effect of twitches and that you said you may not have really needed anyway?

Any change?

I see this was Sid's one and only post. I wonder what happened.

I wouldn't worry to much, but stay healthy get lots of sleep, avoid to much caffeine and alcohol. And keep having EEGs done for a few more years, keep a journal of when you are getting those jerks, write down what you have been doing before the jerks, like what you ate and drank and when, how you are feeling emotionally, lots of detail, even the smaller stuff. It could all be nothing, but this can't hurt anything. I only say this as EEGs even multiple ones can be wrong. It took 4 or 5 years for an EEG to really start showing signs of predisposition to seizures on my brain.

I also have photo sensitive seizures sz's one type of seizures anyway.I would love to be seizure free for a year and it will never happen with me.I've taken Clonazepam and I came off it after years of being on it.When I was 21 I'd already jad epilepsy a lifetime.

You can have epilepsy have normal eeg's I'm 53 was dx'd when I was 2. My seizures can come on for no apparent reason sometimes I'm refractory. I can have tonic-clonic -partial seizures I have ssimple partila,comple partial,seizures and they change all the time.

Last edited:
Welcome shrid321 to CWE. CWE was made out of love by Bernard for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

Back
Top Bottom