Please Helllp! 24 hour EEG info needed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seetseet

New
Reaction score
Hiya! Sorry for the random message but
I am going for my first 24 hour EEG and I have opted to stay on the hospital, don't really have alot of information about it...
I have been waiting since September to have it next month- the neuro who got me to go for the 1 hour one and the 24 hour one was pretty rude (probably just a bad Monday morning lol) - so he gave me zero info. The lady who did the 1hr EEG was nice, and explained how the 24 hour one would work (as in how the machine works and how I will be able to get around, she also said that some people are asked not to sleep the night before)
The point of the story is that I want to make the most of this because I have waited sooooo long and the stupid on hour ones have been useless...

If you have the time & can be bothered can you please shoot me a reply for my questions below (and any info that you might think would be relevant)

1. Is the point of the EEG for them to record a seizure?
( because the moment i have had zero grand mals and only two partials, since i have been on the new meds, so for them to capture it is zero

2. Did you go off the meds when you went (as in did you stop taking them for a couple of days prior to the EEG? Because I have heard/read multiple times that the point of the EEG is to record a seizure- and that this is done so it will happen)

3. Did you sleep prior to the EEG? (Because a lady in the hospital, said "sometimes" they go without sleep for one night prior- again I have read to bring on a seizure?)

Thanks for you time šŸ˜Š

They always want me to go in for a couple of days to monitor the seizures. In the long run I've only gotten worse.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I did do the one at home and it captured 21 seizures in all. I would suggest that you go-to the 24 one because the next step is the epilepsy monitoring center for a week.

I did sleep the night before but not much.

I did sleep the night before but not much.

Hi Sweetroll,
Did you take your meds as you normally would,or did you take less, or maybe non at all?

Were you ASKED not sleep or sleep less?

Did they say that they wanted to capture a seizure(s)?

Thabks a bunch ahead of time :)

I think I stop my meds and the not sleeping part I've never had a problem with but they didn't tell me not to sleep.

All the test I've done I believe have captured seizures. Some they just made me have others came natural.

Hi seetseet,

When I had my veeg done my Dr. cut me back on my meds and also gave me diet soda knowing it would trigger seizures for me so they could pinpoint the location on my brain that was causing seizures before I went in for my brain surgery. If you know of any foods that trigger seizures tell your Dr. and eat a few of them this will make the seizure happen faster and then you will be released from the hospital sooner. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey seetseet --

An EEG can do several things:

-- It can help confirm an epilepsy diagnosis.

-- It can show what kinds of seizures are occurring, which can often help determine the medication. It can also give the doc a sense of how frequently they occur and how long they last.

-- It can capture "epileptogenic" brainwaves -- that is, patterns that are associated with and indicative of epilepsy, but don't necessarily occur during a seizure.

Partial seizures are often harder to capture on an EEG -- they may be too transient, or occur too deep in the brain to register. So a 24-hour EEG can up the odds of capturing a seizure or seizure-related brainwaves, especially if they occur at night. Adding stressors such as going off meds, lack of sleep, caffeine, etc. can also help.

2. Did you go off the meds when you went (as in did you stop taking them for a couple of days prior to the EEG? Because I have heard/read multiple times that the point of the EEG is to record a seizure- and that this is done so it will happen).
In many cases, the purpose of the EEG is to see if the brain produces abnormal brainwave patterns, not necessarily to record a seizure. I've had several positive EEGs that confirm epilepsy, but I've never had a seizure during an EEG. When I was trying to taper off meds, I had several EEGs during the taper process to see if abnormal brainwaves started to appear as I lowered my dosage (they did). This was useful in determining whether or not I wanted to keep going with the taper.

Are you Brit.i had one had to take strong sleeping medication and the 24 I stayed in for few days. I know what you mean you want it show well good luck hop all go well

Back
Top Bottom