Possible side effect?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Havent started a thread in a while, but I have a question for those who have or are taking Lamictal or the generic version Lamtrigine. I am on 100mg now *have been since monday, but missed tuesday and wednesday doseage* of Lamotrigine and think I am experiencing a strange side effect. This is my first AED, and I have not ever taken the brand name, as my neurologist and pharmacist seems to that there is absolutely no difference between the 2.

So anyway I am experiancing shortness of breath. particularly on the exhale or deep breath in. I get a feeling like its a little tight or i should be coughing *but no feeling of flem or liquid*

I dont have a fever, chills, or stuff nose etc that usually follow flu or cold. No sore throat either. But when I try to make the feeling pass *repeating deep breaths or exhale8 I go blue in the lips and finger nails and then feel lightheaded

this is what I found on Lamictals website:

"LAMICTAL is the brand name of a prescription medication called lamotrigine.

LAMICTAL is used together with other medicines to treat certain types of seizures (partial seizures, primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures, generalized seizures of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome) in people 2 years or older or alone when changing from other medicines used to treat partial seizures in people 16 years or older.

It is not known if LAMICTAL is safe or effective when used alone as the first treatment of seizures in adults.

LAMICTAL has been proven to help control seizures.

LAMICTAL ODT is another form of LAMICTAL. LAMICTAL ODT is pleasant-tasting and easy-to-swallow.

LAMICTAL and LAMICTAL ODT offer effective treatment for certain types of seizures to meet your changing needs.

If you've been taking a different medication for your seizures but are unsatisfied with your treatment, ask your doctor if LAMICTAL or LAMICTAL ODT is right for you."

It also does not mention this in the side effects area. Just wondering if someone has experiance with this, as I didnt see it when I searched either.

Thanks
Rae

When I was on Lamictal (10 or so years ago) I certainly didn't have any side effects like that.

Your first port of call would definitely be to call your doctor. Best to err on the side of caution - especially with symptoms such as this.

*hugs*

Hi Rae --

While Lamictal was originally introduced as an adjunct drug for epilepsy, it is now routinely prescribed as a standalone drug -- the website you checked doesn't seem up-to-date in that regard. That aside, if you are experiencing shortness of breath you should definitely call your doctor. It may or may not be related to the missed doses, but more importantly it could be a sign of an allergic reaction, and you should take it seriously.

This is from the medication guide at drugs.com:

"Lamictal is used alone or in combination with other medications to treat seizures in adults and children who are at least 2 years old. It is also used to delay mood episodes in adults with bipolar disorder."

Lamictal is definitely fine for monotherapy, don't worry about that! Worry about the shortness of breath -- are you still experiencing it?

Yes, but it hasn't gotten worse. I have fainted only once. But I am trying to keep myself busy, take my mind off it.

Its wheezie and laboured. But not completely impossible to ignore and deal with. When I can't handle I'll go.

It doesn't sound great, be careful okay?

I am taking Tegretol XR and Keppra XR and we just added Lamicatal/Lemotragine yesterday. I am taking 25mg pill at night for the first two weeks then 25mg twice a day for another two weeks. The process is real slow and this is to keep side effect down.
So far I don't notice anything- but its only been two days of taking it.

It sounds like you're having a mild allergic reaction. It should never cause breathing troubles. I would definitly call the doc or go to E.R. to have it changed or stopped.

Be safe
Crystal

Yes, I actually started out at 25mg every second day for 2 weeks, then 25mg every day for 2 weeks. then 25mg twice a day for 2 weeks (50mg total) and now I am at 50mg twice a day (100mg total) Funny thing is that I took the pills at noon today, started feeling my breathing was off at about 1pm ish, and I am supposed to take them again right now, at midnight, but the breathing is slightly better than it was 12 hours ago.

I am going to take them again and then see if it happens again.

I will let you all know how things work out. If for some reason I cant get on, I'll text Chris515 and he might be able to update y'all.

Crossing fingers that it wont happen again. otherwise I am off to emergency (again!) I really hate going, and will attempt to avoid it if at all possible *no major seizures yet today either! Only one absence this morning in which I missed my bus stop, and the 6 after it :paperbag::oops::einstein::zacepi: *

Last edited:
I've not

had this type of reaction to Lamictal, either......in either instance of being on it. I've been on it twice now. I would say take yourself to the ER, and be checked for an allergic reaction, or some type of asthmatic attack. It seems to be one of those two things.

Rebecca's reaction to Lamictal was body aches all over. To the point that she wanted to stay curled up in a ball and not move. She did begin to get some bumps as I recall and the medication was stopped.

From my information, this med is not suggested for anyone under the age of 16.

My son on lamictal since 2006. It works great for him. Its the only drug hes on. Ive noticed it effects his sleeping and eating.

Jena got the lamictal rash and was off lamictal within 3 mos.

Ive never heard of it causing shortness in breath. Id go to the Drs to be sure you arent having an allergic reaction.

Lamictal tends to be a good drug, just seems few can tolerate it.

GOod luck and be well
joan*

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
  • the first sign of any skin rash;
  • fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
  • chest pain;
  • pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
  • fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
  • muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness with fever or flu symptoms and dark colored urine; or
  • nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious Lamictal side effects may include:
  • dizziness or drowsiness;
  • blurred vision;
  • mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach;
  • headache;
  • lack of coordination;
  • weight loss;
  • sleep problems (insomnia), unusual dreams; or
  • runny or stuffy nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

http://www.drugs.com/lamictal.html

Here's a fun page that you should discuss with your doctor:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/521.html

I am currently taking Lamictal 500 mg and Keppra XR 2000 mg...Although my seizures are not totally under control, I am doing better than I was before taking the combination of the two. This is my second time on Lamictal. I was on Lamictal by itself for 2 years from the time I was 10-12. I was then weaned off meds and was seizure free on no meds for two tears without any meds :) I had a GM when I was 14 and was put on Topamax. This kept me seizure free for 7 years. So I usually say that I was seizure free for 9 years, because 1 GM in 9 years really doesnt matter that much. ANYWAYS...I never had a reaction to Lamictal at all. I like the Lamictal. As far as what joan said I have to disagree. My neurologist told me when putting me back on it that almost all of his patients that are taking Lamictal or were taking Lamictal have great success with it. That said...Just because it is not a listed side effect does not mean that is impossible to have that problem with it. Everyone is different. My nephew who has autism was on Lamictal and it did nothing for him. So even within the same family reactions will be different. It is important that you call your neuro and tell him/her before it gets too serious and you NEED to go to the ER. Your neuro should be able to make a competent descision about what to do. ie switch to a different med or change his approach in dosages. It doesnt seem to me that missing doses would cause breathing problems, but then again I am not a neurologist. Call or e-mail your neurologist to let him/her know what is going on and that you have concerns about a possible side effect. Your neuro may tell you to keep taking it or he may want to schedule a visit with you. How long have you been experiencing breathing problems? Did it start out soon after you start Lamictal or recently? Any initial side effects usually should disappear withing 1 maybe 2 weeks. Anyway, I hope that what I have said makes sense to you. Hope all goes well. Let us know what your neuro says.

Hi all,
Just an update. So I went to emerg at about 6pm last night. it got too uncomfortable to bear anymore. They told me that it wasnt the scary rash forming in y throat or lungs, so I was safe on that part.

They also couldnt tell me if this was an allergy or an asthma attack *have been tested for it in the past, but never got the results, and never medicated* He said if it was an allergy, it wasnt causing anaphylactic shock so it was not serious, and if it was asthma, I was struggling with it for a while, so it is not serious either.

Their best recommendation was to see my neurologist, to get his final opinion on whether to switch meds, or to treat for asthma first. I dont get to see Dr. Fast for a month, *december 15* so I am supposed to handle this the best I can they said. If it gets worse I should come back to emerg and they will contact my neuro directly and see what he thinks should be done.

so I get to be smurf for a while then *I still go blue*

Thanks for all the info tho guys

I've taking lamictal for 4 months, starting very slowly, and it's my first and only seizure med. Like you, I have a side effect that's not listed anyplace and that no one seems to know what to do about. I don't know how the drug companies decide what side effects to list. It seems that there must be a lot of others that occur even less often then those they list as rare, and that they just don't mention, but of course, I don't know that. Does anyone know how that works?

Will your doctor talk to you on the phone?

Rae, I'm very glad that it's not "serious", but I hope you get it figured out soon. It's not a great time of year to have asthma. I guess there's never a good time, but breathing cold air is hard on the system.

Marion, I agree, even some of the common side effects are barely mentioned by the drug companies, and/or by our prescribing neurologists. I wish there were some easy hotline to call so the drug companies would have to keep an accurate tally of all the reported side effects, but I think for the most part they aren't required to after the drug is okayed by the FDA and unleashed onto the unsuspecting public. I think only extremely dangerous side effects get attention after the initial trial phases.

On Lamictal (generic) for 9 months now. No breathing issues, but may be experiencing some weight gain. The weight could also be from eating way too much. :rolleyes:

The blue lips sound more like hyper-ventilating. Try to breath normal during these times and not long and deep. The light headedness, fainting, blue lips, etc... are all signs of hyper-ventilating. Try to relax during these spells. I know that is easier said than done when you feel like you can't breath.

It might be hyper ventilating. I've had the breathing problems to with lamictal. It gets worse in the fall but has only started since I started lamictal in 2004.

It is hard to relax when you feel you can't breathe properly - and that makes it harder to breathe. It's a tough cycle to break.

I've almost gotten used to it now. I've done all the allergy tests, breathing tests, etc and it's all come up normal, so what else could it be apart from the drugs.. So maybe this is a rare side effect of lamictal?

Back
Top Bottom