Power of pets

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks guys, you are all so thoughtful. That's because I know each of you have lost pest in the past too. Well. it's off to the creamatory. He'll be on the shelf with Miss Celie and Tippy soon (my son's wishes)

I was watching Johnny Carson the night Jimmy Stewart read his Ode to Bo. Always loved his way of expressing himself. Thanks BEF

Sorry to hear about your loss as well. Each dog I've had is totally different in personality.

And each of my dogs is so precious in its own unique way.

Here is an e-mail I received that I would like to share.

A Great Dog Story
Anyone who has pets will really like this---and if you don't have a pet, maybe you'll decide to get one:)

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named 'Lucky.' Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy.

Inevitably, someone would forget and something would come upmissing. Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's other favorite toys. Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer. Something told her she was going to die of this disease....in fact; she was just sure it was fatal.

She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders. The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her...what would happen to Lucky?

Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim, he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die, Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought. He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him. The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death.

The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks. Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully, but the little dog just drooped, whining and miserable.

Finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom.

Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap. Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called. It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed.

When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body felt heavy and hot. But panic soon gave way to laughter when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed, with every treasure Lucky owned!

While she had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement bringing his beloved mistress all his favorite things in life. He had covered her with his love.

Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again,walking further and further together every day. It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free.

Lucky? He still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

Remember....live every day to the fullest.

Each minute is a blessing from God.

And never forget....the people who make a difference in our lives are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care for us.

If you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours! Live simply. Love seriously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

There is a cat out in my yard right now. Its a calico, but is actually gray rather than back, and the orange spots are so dull, you almost have to look twice to see them. at first I thought it was a stray so I put some food down for it, but it seems way to friendly to be a stray - it even hunched up its back to indicate it wanted scratched near its tail when I reached to pet it. He was going to follow me into the house- if I didn't have a cat in here who could catch something from him, I'd probably have let him.

He has a fresh neck wound (probably a catfight,doesn't seem to bother him) but won't let me do much with it. I'm going to keep an eye on him, and take him to the vet if it doesn't appear to be treated. Right now my guess is that the cat just hasn't went home after getting injured.

I've decided to take him in if he does end up being a stray. I'm not sure my cat will be thrilled about that though - he glared at me and wouldn't let me touch him after he saw me petting this cat through the window

Charlie

Yea, I have a jealous cat, too. He got upset when I brought in other cats, but they are great friends now. They romp and play all day. But if he catches me petting the other cats, he noses his way in for all the attention.
Go ahead and bring the new cat in for a vet check. It may have a microchip if it is owned. If not, make some signs and put them in the neighborhood. If there is no response, the cat has adopted you.

A friend just sent me this

& I thought of this thread right away.

ADog's Purpose(from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The Six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around andwag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

Just in time for Caturday!

What the heck are you doing in there?

IMG_0409.jpg

OOOOOoh I see what you did there!

IMG_0415.jpg

We have three at present but I think at least 1 or 2 more are possible. Anyone want a kitten?

She had a total of 5, but the last one was still born. 3 white, 1 yellow. She's a good mommy and they are so sweet! Kids just love them, anybody want a kitten?
animal0048%5B1%5D.gif
animal0048%5B1%5D.gif
animal0048%5B1%5D.gif
animal0048%5B1%5D.gif

Oh wow!!! So lucky, permits for the wilder animals you've owned don't come cheap in the uk (pretty impossible to get one if you ask me)
I'd considered getting a Serval, but until I have the funds, my pet Degus will do (I love them, such random little things!!)

Back
Top Bottom