Pre-existing condition

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jkj1995

New
Reaction score
I finally have the new insurance but they have that darn pre-existing clause, and it says I cannot be treated for anything dealing with epilepsy until November 08. I wasn't without the other insurance for even 2 whole months, and I think I read somewhere, here or another forum, where I could get a letter (certificate of coverage???) from the old insurance company to give to the new insurance company that could possibly lessen the waiting period. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? Or have any suggestions on what to do? My seizures have been getting worse, despite me taking my med. on time daily and getting enough sleep and watching my diet. I need to see a doctor soon.

Hang in there... someone is going to know the answer.

yes, call your old insurance and ask them for a letter that shows when your coverage ended So that you can prove to the other ins that you had been covered by another ins I think the lapse is three months any longer than that without ins you will have to wait...

hugs
angel

Last edited:
Angel,
Thank you so much...I thought thats what it was. I called the new insurance comp. and they said they would have someone get back with me because they weren't sure. This forum is full of answers. Thanks again.

I thought they had made that clause, illegal.

I thought they had made that clause, illegal.

no its not.... I had to have the paper work for omip from my insurance it was a group ins from my husbands job at the time... you have to prove insurance with out a laps of three months or so..... actually i cant remember who i went through it was like 6 months ago to get OMIP... but i called old ins and they sent me the paper work to send to the guy i was working with who sent it to omip so i wouldnt have to wait the full 6 months before i was covered i barely had to wait a month but we couldnt make the monthly payments as they were to high....

now though if I was even able to get ins which i haven't had for ever.... Id have to wait ... I dont think anyone would even insure me .... :paperbag:

I just need to try and pull myself up get healthy and find a job... so i can take care of myself my kids all have ins i just cant afford it for myself ... kidney movement (CD) epilepsy insurance company's run from me or want such high monthly payments there is no way ...

I hope im making since? Ive had to up my keppra and am tired.... long day;)

your welcome jkj

let me know how it works out
hugs
angel

Last edited:
jkj what you need to ask for is called a Certificate of creditable coverage

for the months you had ins... im not sure if its the same in all states in oregon though thats what you need to keep you from having to wait...

IMPORTANT - Read all FINE PRINT!

That's what I used to tell my ex; who thought
he was saving :twocents: a week by getting
cheaper HMO (now they have all kinds of plans
including POS, GAP, etc), until he learned about
these 'clauses' ~ especially the waiting periods
for pre-existing condition.

There is a time factor in the waiting issue, that
did pass but I cannot remember if the maximum
wait factor that was passed by the congress was
4 months. I forget what the BILL was called and
unable to find it. But you can always, always call
your own STATE Government Office and they will
know the specifics - the Insurance Commissioner's
Division. Call them! You might have an office or
a Branch in your own County or District without
having to call the State Capital.

What Robin has in mind is LIFE THREATENING
condition is illegal; they can no longer force you
to dial 1 XXX XXX XXXX and make you call all
these numbers if you are having a heart attack
for example, or if you fell off of your roof and
broke your hip and suffering from internal bleeding,
or if you accidentally slipped while using a chain-
saw and lost your finger(s). You can dial 911 and
go to the nearest Emergency Room immediately.

Thanks everyone!!! Sorry it's taken a while to update...I've had a heck of a time with these darn seizures coming back, had 3 bad ones since Christmas and my Mama(grandma who raised me) is in the hospital with COPD and a colon infection so I've been in stress city for a while...anyhoo...

The OLD ins.company faxed the NEW ins.company a certificate of credible coverage for me and my husband (for some reason they put a hold on him too and he hasn't been to a dr. in ages) and the NEW ins.company accepted it and said they will remove the waiting period by the end of this week :) I am so looking forward to finding a new doctor who might actually listen. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom