Pre-irritated: neuro appt. today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chelsea

New
Reaction score
:soap:I have been continuing to have autonomic partial seizures. I see my neuro at 1:00 p.m. today. I am on Lamictal 300 mg, and my Mom and I were able to stop a generalized tonic-clonic seizure with Valium over the weekend.

As most of us know, the neuros are hesitant about prescribing Valium, Klonopin, or Ativan. Why? This still remains a mystery to most of us--if it works, then it works. If they prescribe it rectally for cluster seizures; then, why not be able to take it by mouth and spend three hours sleeping?--instead of three days recovering. [It's not like we abuse it either, I mean, really!]

Please pray for me; I am already irritated, and I am self-pay. I want some thing done, and I already know I am in for a struggle.

By the way, coined the term 'pre-irritated' because that is the way the doctor's office makes me feel before I even go in or call or contact them.:soap:

Love you guys! Have a great day, hang in there.

As most of us know, the neuros are hesitant about prescribing Valium, Klonopin, or Ativan. Why? This still remains a mystery to most of us-

Sorry to hear about your irritation, Chelsea. The docs are hesitant to prescribe these meds because they are benzo's and could be habit forming if used for a long time. My neuro has prescribed Ativan only a few times.

May be your dr. will need to increase your Lamictal, instead.

I know that they really do take valium seriously. I have to show identification whenever I pick up Ativan. I do have a running script for it but I only use it once or twice a month. My GP prescribes it though. Not my neurologist.

I hope you do get what you need...I hope your Dr. listens to you.

I hope the appointment goes well Chelsea. I know what you mean by "pre-irritated" -- here's hoping you are pleasantly surprised by your doctor's visit.

Back
Top Bottom