"Pregnancy" and Catamenial Epilepsy! Please Help!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
I am nearly 3 weeks late on my period, I had a "pragnancy period(brownish red spotting for about 2-3 days)" on the days which would of been my normal period, and I've felt nausious in the morning for the past few days, though no vomiting. I haven't had any sex so I don't think I'm pregnant(unless my thought on toilet seats is true and not paranoia!).

But could I be having a false pregnancy? I have catamenial epilepsy, and my seizure activity is active a few days before and during my period.
Now, I did have simple partials active around the time of my expected period, so I knew the period was on it's way - but not. I'm not having any cramps, no seizure activity right now.

Catamenial epilepsy is caused by hormones and so are false pregnancies - preferably ESTROGEN - an increase I DON'T need, unless I wan't to die from seizures.

How am I going to predict seizures now? I'm totally unprepared for this. Are my seizures going to increase if I'm having a false pregnancy? Is there such thing as "false abortion?" This is not fair to me. I haven't had any sex, I'm single, and now I have to suffer pregnancy symptoms for 9 months.
I don't have enough money to get an ultrasound and other tests doctors are going to want, I tried to buy a pregnancy test, but my mom complained and called me a "hypochondriac." I am so stressed, confused, and scared. What's going to happen to me?!?!?!?!?!?

Sorry the long post, thanks for any answers.

Have you had your hormone levels checked?

No, and I don't think my parents want to take me to the doc for it either. I'll have to talk to them. How much does getting your hormones checked costs? Can I get them done at Patient First?

False pregnancy usually has a psychological component (i.e. the person desires a baby so much that their body mimics some of the signs of pregnancy), so I don't think that's what's happening in your case.

You may have some sort of hormone imbalance. Many women with epilepsy have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), a common endocrine disorder that can result in fewer menstrual periods. Are you on anti-seizure meds? Some of those can also mess with your period too, particularly if the dose has changed. If there's a possibility of a hormone imbalance, you should get a referral to an endocrinologist.

I read your link, Queenie. And I do take Depakote - and Depakote is the most successful anti-seizure drug I take today(I also take Lamictal and Keppra). I can't get off of depakote, my life got so much better when taking it. I got a job! A HUGE reduction in seizures, I almost went 3 years without having a convulsion(had 2 this year, don't know why).

Is PCOS dangerous? Do I require surgery if I have it?

It's not dangerous but can affect your fertility, so may be an issue you need to look at later in life if you choose to try for kids. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my mid 20's after having my son so never tried for fertility treatment because of the epilepsy / meds I was on.

Needing surgery is uncommon, cysts are generally harmless, but if you had a change in your seiszure patterns getting hormones checked and discussing it with your Dr might be an idea.

Q

Thank you guys for the info! I read about the symptoms though, besides this missed period, none of the others I have.

Back
Top Bottom