Prep-ing 4yo for Keto

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I wasn't able to get back on PHP last night Kristi, did you have any questions? I am here at work all day until five and would be happy to answer any you have...and NO You are never bugging me! I love helping other parents help their children! This diet is truly amazing!

Thanks!! Just wanted to check about the Bickford flavors. I've just receive an order of 4 of the gift sets but only 1/2 are soy oil based, the others have propylene glycol (I didn't think to check ahead of time). I also emailed my dietician about this. I wasn't sure if the glycol would make them totally off limits or not. I feel like there is so much to learn!!

You are very right to check with the dietician! In our experience, the ones with propylene glycol have been fine, but it's always best to check. It seems a bit overwhelming but you'll catch on very quickly, you already are! The oil base are good for mixing with butter for "candy" and we use the others for mixing in the cream for flavored whipped cream.

The dietician gave me the green light on the propylene glycol so I guess it was much ado about nothing!

That is very good! When do you start? And it's a very reasonable concern! As a farm girl, I know that they use propylene glycol to reverse ketosis in cattle, but that is in a different form and amount.

Last edited:
We start next Thursday and I am just a bundle of nerves/emotions right now hoping for a miracle but fearing the worst and excited about finally getting to DO something proactively for my daughter besides waiting on my neuro/drugs and spending WAY too much time on the Internet!!!

BTW - I'm a "town girl" by birth but married a country boy in East TN 8 years ago - don't know much about cattle, but dh's addicted to Saddlebred horses and his parents faithfully put up hundreds of quarts from the garden each summer.

I'm double-posting with this announcement but wanted to make sure everyone heard this latest update: just met with the neuro yesterday and he gave the diet a big thumbs up. He is sure that she has Doose/MAE now after studying her EEG's and because these kids do so well on the diet, he is giving her an 80% chance of improvement :).

The downside is that the diet does not work, he said that she will probably be cognitively delayed with poor seizure control the rest of her life. This did more to put it in black and white that the diet is really our last hope for getting our Katie back.

Our diet start date is 4/25 and I will keep you posted on our progress. Thanks again for your thoughts, stories, advice & prayers!!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all things acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.

This was my scripture for the Diet when we went in, they told us she didn't have much of a chance of gaining control, and forget about being sz free. I believe God directed our path...

Try not to think of the downside, it may never even be an issue. We're praying for you daily!

Ann and Rachel

you may want to do a bit of reading on doose because i have done some reserach and most studies claim that the majority of kids outgrow doose usually within 1-3 years regardless of how effectively they are treated during those years... almsot always the drops go away in 1-3 years so i think that prognosis is a bit glum..are you on the doose yahoo health group forum? there are some great studies posted on there links about positive prognosis and if you PM me i can email you them.. they gave me such hope...

Thanks, Z! We've tried not to feel "glum" about this, but we did press him on the cognitive issues and he told us that the delays could be permanent, even if the seizures get under control. (He did tell us emphatically that she does not have EEG patterns that fit LGS so he does not think she will experience mental retardation, but he did say that delays are on the table for Doose). We have definitely been concerned about this, but I will take your advice and try to do some more research!! Any hope is so helpful!!

ah.... if I had listened to my doctors without listening to my heart, and intuition, my daughter's life would be going in the opposite direction right now.

Be careful about giving them too much power in the care of your loved ones.

kateis mom please keep us posted on the start of your diet and how its going..im praying its the answer for you guys she deserves it!!!!

You all have been so wonderful to give me your support and encouragement, but I have to admit that I have been under so much stress this week worrying about what will happen if the diet doesn't work, depressed about the "last chance" nature of things.

Then, last night, my husband called me and the kids outside for a rare vision at our home: a magnificent, radiant rainbow stretching from the distant mountains we view everyday from our front porch to the very hill that we live on. He said, "Look, Katie it's your rainbow." After that I have been filled with so much hope! Our first Keto meal is tonight (we're starting a little early) and I will be sure to keep you posted.

How great is our God? He gives you exactly what you need and for Katie it's a rainbow! Looking forward to your updates!

Blessings,

Ann

Wish you luck! Go for it Katie!
Don't worry if she doesn't eat whole the meals or refuses to eat in her first days, her body has to adapt to burning all the fats. Burning fats is a far more intensive job for the body than burning carbs. Many kids are very tired and sleepy in the begining of the diet.
Are you doing LCT or MCT? What ratio?
Are you measuring urine or blood ketones?
Keep a close eye on her glucose levels, they tend to drop low in the first weeks!
Are you on MF now or still getting an error on your account? The MF forum is so helpfull for a starting keto parent. Always forum members standing by for trouble shooting and a lot of usefull info and menus.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your support & encouragement!!

Katie had a rough morning this morning - vomited 3 times but we finally made a concoction to get her meds in her efficiently and she finally ate & held down her 1st Keto meal today around 11:30 a.m. She has been having some trouble with continous seizures since Friday morning (before we started the diet that night), so I don't think we can really tell that the diet is affecting her seizures negative or positive yet. She had two 5mg rectal doses of diastat yesterday and one 10mg dose today which have slightly improved but not stopped her absence, myoclonic & drop seizures. I did have some encouraging behavior out of her yesterday.

I tried to post a synopsis of her 1st day but my Internet wouldn't let me access the site last nght for some reason. Dutch mom: I think most of your questions will be answered by my day 1 post. I haven't been on MF but thanks for the suggestion. Will do!

Katie's 1st Keto Day
HOW I'M DOING: I'm exhausted but relieved that we've finally started Keto!! Her first meal was the spaghetti with spaghetti squash on Friday night, and today was her first full day of Keto (I'll list the 3:1/1200 cal/day recipes below). The two biggest things I felt the least prepared for were the time it took to measure every last drop of everything to the 10th of a gram and the size of the meals being SO small. It looked like I was making food for a mouse. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to make the spaghetti squash last night, but I had whittled that down to 20 minutes by the time meal 4 hit today. I DID feel like I spent all day in the kitchen, but I was trying to do a lot of preparations to make the next meals go quicker (pre-cooking meats, pre-measuring & labeling major meal ingredients). Having many very small Rubbermaid tupperware containers has been great for storing meats, fruits & veggies. I used liquid medicine measuring cups (the plastic ones that come with kiddie meds) for smaller ingredients like oil & butter. This has definitely come in handy. Overall, I think day #1 was pretty busy & at times overwhelming, but not too bad considering the rigors of Keto.

HOW KATIE'S DOING: This past week has been a bad one for Katie as far as seizures, emotions, and cognitive skills go, all of which have been worse than ever for her. Last Sunday, she had tonic clonic seizure #7 and on Friday afternoon she had a diastat for non-convulsive status. I feel it is really way too early to tell if the diet has impacted her seizure activity. She had another non-convulsive status day today and had to get diastat twice. The best that she did all day was to have five to ten minute gaps between her Doose variety absence, myoclonic, & myoclonic astatic (drop) seizures. The good news is that after watching her abilities and personality fade more and more with each passing day, she seemed a lot more like "Katie" today - in spit of all the seizures. After her 1st meal Friday, her mood - which had been in and out of rages all day - became much happier and less negative. Today, I saw some of that old spark come back into her eyes and she stayed in a good mood all day (VERY unusual for her lately). She had been having lots of motor regression, ataxia, and autistic-like oblivion, but tonight when I read her the Cat in the Hat before bed time, she sat still the whole time, neatly turned the pages without crumpling them and reacted/commented on several story elements. To top it off, she went to bed more peacefully than I've seen her in weeks! I hope that this is an encouraging sign.

BUMPS IN THE ROAD: You expect the most bumps at the beginning of Keto. Even though we made sure she ate everything down to the last spatula scrape & she seemed to enjoy the main courses, our biggest hurdle has been getting Katie to eat the cream. We've whipped it, frozen it, added sweetener and Bickford flavors but it is still a BATTLE every meal to get her to finish it - let alone start it. Keep in mind that Katie's been having so much trouble lately, even before Keto she tends to resist eating because she hates to make transtitions from whatever she is doing - even to go to the bathroom to avoid her frequent accidents or to go to the table to eat. Also, her constant seizures today did not help - I often found myself scraping her shirt with a spatula in an attempt to recoup the cream that had spilled from her mouth due to a myoclonic mouth spasm. Arrggh! I'm hoping that improved seizure control in general will help mealtimes go much smoother down the road!

Thanks, again, for the support! I'm determined to do whatever it takes to make this work for Katie!

Kristi

-------------

RECIPES:*Note: I could only find 36% cream & 90% lean ground beef in my stores, but my dietician said to go ahead with these & she will recalculate amounts in next menu group.
1.) Fri Night: "Spaghetti with Meat Sauce"
6g Butter
12g Beef (85% Lean Ground) - Cooked
30g Spaghetti Squash - Cooked (I microved it)
6g Oil, Canola
38g Cream, 40%
3g Cheese, Parmesan Grated (100%)
21g Tomato Sauce (Basil/Garlic/Oregano) Hunts 8 oz

2.) Sat am - "Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with Strawberry"
2g Butter
44g Strawberries - raw
5g Oil, Canola
49g Cream, 40%
8g Cheese, Craft Deli Deluxe American
25g Eggs, Egg Beaters, Original - Con Agra Foods

3.) Sat late morning "Bacon & Kiwi"
15g Bacon, Oscar Mayer - cooked crisp
19g Kiwi Fruit, fresh
5g Oil, Canola
44g Cream, 40%

4.) Sat afternoon "Macaroni & Cheese"
4g Butter
28g Strawberries - raw
28g Spaghetti Squash - cooked
5g Oil, Canola
34g Cream, 40%
21g Cheese, Kraft Deli Deluxe American

5.) Sat night "Chicken & Green Beans"
3g Butter
22g Applesauce, Mott's Natural (No Sugar Added) (I added part of oil, miralax, & vitamins to this along with liquid Sweetener & Bickford's cinnamon - it was still her favorite dish of the meal)
12g Chicken Breast, no skin - cooked
23g Green Beans - cooked
5g Oil, Canola
53g Cream, 40%

Directions: My dietician didn't include directions for most of these - they're pretty self-explanatory, once you get going (cook the meats in butter, use the oil with meats or anywhere else you can hide it, use part of the cream in the recipes - for egg/cheese sauces or with the fruit, or just serve it alone).

Hope these can be of use to someone!

it sounds like you are doing great and katie is adpating well! it can take some time to see if the diet is going to work..we heard all these wonder stories of the diet stopping the Sz within 2 or 3 days and some are that lucky but it was more like 2 months for us ... and the 1st few weeks i felt like my son was worse then ever totally zoned and tired so dont get discouraged! also dont worry about the cream thing if she ends up hating the cream there are ways around that we do the diet almost 100% cream free my son never liked it no matter what so the diet can be adapted to any preference...did you have a hospital admit? please keep us posted ....

We've had succes in week 1-2 with a 80% sz reduction. After a few weeks we had a dip with more sz again and we had to fine tune the diet on calories for 3 months before our son got stable. EEG improved >70% after 6 months.
Other children show succes after several month and have a difficult start.
Keep on going! Succes!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Z!

You and Ann have both made me feel better about some of the bumps we've run into with the diet! I'm glad that there is not a 1st days litmus test for the diet! A few updates for Day 3: I'm at work now, but my devoted mother-in-law said she has thrown up 2xs but no more. She is also having less seizure activity this morning.

Also, good news about the cream: We stopped mixing her meds into her regular cream (dh Greg concocted a sweetener/water/cream med-syring recipe) and we started cutting it with water, adding some sweetener & passing it off as "milk" - worked like a charm!

Dutch Mom: Her Ketones yesterday read above 40 and above 80. Also, my dietician has ok'd giving her 2 Tbs juice to help her sugar when she gets sick. Maybe this will help. Might try giving the juice before feeding her tomorrow - we can check her glucose level & see.

Thanks, again, for the advice & support!!

Back
Top Bottom