Pretty happy right now :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nick,
Have you looked at doing voluntary work in an office?
Most of my admin skills I learnt were from doing voluntary work in offices.

My role is pretty much answering phones, greeting people as they come in the office & supporting the other people in the office. I've been doing the small things no one else had time to do eg- filing lol. I think the longer I am there & the more experience I get the more tasks they'll give me.

I expected to have a sort of feeling around the time I found out about the job or the 1st couple of days after I started the job. I didn't have any funny feelings until the weekend. I had one funny feeling on Saturday night & another one on Sunday morning which was only small. It had been almost a month since I'd had a funny feeling so can't complain to much. I know the 2 I had over the weekend were just my brain adjusting to my new routine & getting used to working full time.
My neuropsych suggested to me a couple of months ago to still write down the funny feelings I have but reminded me not to think to much about them.

Yes, voluntary work is a good idea, once I stop feeling so anxious. I need to get my confidence back. It would be great to start with the minor jobs, perhaps I could cope with that.

I'm not surprised you have some 'funny' feelings.. it's a big adjustment for you. I got stressed in the week and I had two simple partials - always alarming when they happened, even be it that I only have a couple a month (for the past year).

Yes, you have me excited about the idea. I shall continue to take a day at a time but I shall put the feelers out for voluntary work. I've got out of date with spread sheets and data basis so I would need to return to college to re-familiarise with these. I have to conquer this fatigue and anxiety. I shall be following your progress!
:)

I'm not surprised you have some 'funny' feelings.. it's a big adjustment for you. I got stressed in the week and I had two simple partials - always alarming when they happened, even be it that I only have a couple a month (for the past year).
At less I can say my brain was nice enough to wait until the weekend before I had the funny feelings lol. Although I know it wouldn't have been to much of an issue if I was to have them at work because I can still work & talk ok when I have this feeling so I'm usually the only one who would even realise something was wrong .

Also my employers know about my epilepsy & that I do have my seizures under control. They had no issues with the epilepsy & they just told me if I did happen to have a seizure just let them know what to look for & explain to them what they'd have to do.

I hope the "funny feelings" remain minimal CQ. I think it's worth tracking them, if only to keep reassured that they are nothing to worry about.

I hope the "funny feelings" remain minimal CQ. I think it's worth tracking them, if only to keep reassured that they are nothing to worry about.
Nak,
I seem to be settled into my new job now so don't think I'll be having to many more funny feelings to soon.

From the time I was about to have my interview right up to when I started working I thought I would have some sort of funny feeling because I was so nervous.
But I had none until Saturday night so I guess my brain was just a bit slow :pfft:
The one I had last Saturday night was a stronger one & seemed to be a bit longer then usual lol.
The one I had on Sunday morning was only small & lasted less then a minute.

I was hoping to go through the whole of September with no funny feelings but then had 1 on 1st of September.
I jokingly said to my American friend that the funny feeling I had on the Sunday morning was 1st September here but it would've still have been Saturday night in some of the other countries eg - USA, England lol

I sent my neuropscyh a email over the weekend about the funny feelings & said I thought it was just my brain adjusting to the new job. I also told her I was a bit annoyed because I was hoping to have no funny feelings in September but had one on the 1st.
When my neuropsych replied to my email she agreed the feelings I had over the weekend was my brains way of adjusting to the new job & she told me not to worry if I have any funny feelings in September. She said it's good to have goals but not if they were going to cause angst.

When I see the neuro next year I'll give him the list of the funny turns I had just for his record, although I know he wont be to concerned about them.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd give an update, still loving my job & slowly learning more about the building industry. My bosses & co workers keep telling me how great it is to have me there as I am able to help them by doing the jobs they don't have time to do. I went to my 1st work function on Wednesday night & although I usually don't like crowds or going to functions I actually had a good night lol.

I have had some sad news though, on Tuesday night when I got home from work my mum let me know that my cousin died. There was an autopsy to be done but it was suicide, he was found at about 7:30am that morning. He was 46 & left behind 8 kids who are aged 22 - a couple of months. I feel so sorry for his poor kids :(.
He lived in the next town to me but my parents & I hadn't seen him for a few years, we were the only family that lived near him as his Dad (my Dads brother) & 3 of his siblings live about 15 hours drive from us. He had another brother who lives about 6 hours drive.

It is my birthday on Tuesday & I was hoping that the funeral wouldn't be on that day but it looks like it will be later next week, either Thursday or Friday.

My Uncle arrived Today with his step daughter & 2 of my cousins, I think another cousin will be down sometime next week & the other cousin probably won't be able to come as she is not well. My 2 brothers who live in the same state as our Uncle will probably be heading down on Sunday morning & getting to my parents place on Monday night.

I spoke to my boss the other day about how I would need some time of to attend the funeral, she was very understanding & I just need to let her know when the funeral is.
I was going to have a couple of hours of to attend the funeral (depending on what time the funeral is) but work told me to have the day of.

Last edited:
Pleased to hear your job is going well, CQ. What sad news concerning your cousin. My heart goes out to his wife and children. Indeed, my heart goes out to you all. It's like a kick in the belly - I wasn't expecting such sad news. Take care of yourself.

My computer is of to have a service.. offline til about Wednesday. I repeat, take care :)

Pleased to hear your job is going well, CQ. What sad news concerning your cousin. My heart goes out to his wife and children. Indeed, my heart goes out to you all. It's like a kick in the belly - I wasn't expecting such sad news. Take care of yourself.

My computer is of to have a service.. offline til about Wednesday. I repeat, take care :)
Thankyou Nick,

My cousin was never married. His older children are 22,17,16,14,12. I've never met his 3 younger children to his current girlfriend but i believe they are all under 3 with the youngest only being couple of months old.

Last edited:
Have a Happy Birthday from me if I'm not back online :)
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Good to see im not the only one who gives early b'day wishes:pfft:.
Im going to have to work on my bday & my coworkers know its almost my bday. Just hope they forget lol or if they do remember that they dont make a big deal :roflmao:.
My parents are going to take me to dinner on my birthday & since my brothers should be here by then they'll also come as well.

I only saw these 2 brothers in June when they were here for my Dads birthday but it will still be good to see them again.

Last edited:
Hey CQ.

Just reading up on your thread here. I'm learning people since I've only be a member for a couple days. I enjoyed reading along, but it fast forward, from finding out you might have a job all the way to hearing it is going well for you.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Life has its ups and downs. I hope everything went as best as it could. Suicide can be so hard for families to deal with.

I really wanted to congratulate you on successfully finding work that you really seem to enjoy. It seems around here, that is hard to do without epilepsy. I'm fortunate enough that epilepsy doesn't interfere with my work. My career path has bee wobbly and forking, but hopefully I'll get things figured out soon.

Congratulations again and happy birthday.

Hey CQ.

Just reading up on your thread here. I'm learning people since I've only be a member for a couple days. I enjoyed reading along, but it fast forward, from finding out you might have a job all the way to hearing it is going well for you.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Life has its ups and downs. I hope everything went as best as it could. Suicide can be so hard for families to deal with.

I really wanted to congratulate you on successfully finding work that you really seem to enjoy. It seems around here, that is hard to do without epilepsy. I'm fortunate enough that epilepsy doesn't interfere with my work. My career path has bee wobbly and forking, but hopefully I'll get things figured out soon.

Congratulations again and happy birthday.
Hi N sperlo,
Thanks for the congratulations, birthday wishes & the condolences.

I have only done part time & casual work in the past but it never worked out, with most of my jobs I would have lot of partial seizures which affected my work.
This job really is a dream job for me as it is the 1st full time job I have ever had & it is such a great work environment.

I had surgery in March 2011 & so far I am seizure free since my surgery :).
It didn't take me to long to cope with working full time but as I think I mentioned before I do now appreciate my weekends more lol.

Oh. Seizure free! That is awesome! Now you need two more jobs like me! :rolleyes:

Worked 53 hours last week not including show prep, and will work 45 this week. Its a good thing I'm hyperactive. :banana:

Really, though, keep it up. Sounds like they really appreciate you.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, CQ :hugs:

Happy to hear about your job going so well! Despite the funeral next week, I hope you have a wonderful birthday, with more family around you than you originally expected!

CQ, so sorry to hear about your cousin's suicide. It must be so hard on his family and friends.

I hope you are still up for celebrating your birthday when the time comes.

Hi CQ, got my laptop back today - it's been a week without. Is it all-right to ask how the funeral went?

How did your birthday go - nice meal out?
:)

Thanks Nak,
Sorry I missed this post, didnt see it until this morning.

My brothers & their wifes arrived in the early hours of Tuesday morning so they also came to dinner with us. It was a really nice night & good to see them :).

We all went to my cousins former girlfriends (Mum to 4 of his kids) place for a bbq on Wednesday night so we got to spend some time with my Uncle & cousins.

My cousins death was very hard on his family, in particular his 5 older kids who are between 22 - 12 (his 3 younger kids to his current girlfriend are under 3) & I think his former girlfriend took it hard as well (they were together for years before they split up).
The funeral was Yesterday (Friday), it was a nice service & was packed but the lady who was doing the service got a lot of information on my cousins childhood & our family wrong. My cousins current girlfriend was the one who gave the information & she didn't know anything about our family or my cousins younger days, his former girlfriend knew a little bit so she provided what info she knew.
After the funeral there was drinks & nibblies at a local pub (think it was the pub my cousin drank at).

My brothers & their wifes go home Tomorrow morning but I think Today we are going to my cousins former girlfriends place to help her clean up the yard & take some stuff to the tip for her.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just a quick update on how things are going.

It is hard to beleive but it's almost 2 months since I started my job, I'm still loving the job & learning heaps.
I am slowly learning the process of building a house from the admin point of view (floor plans & all the paper work involved) but I am also going to start to learn whats involved with actually building the house. My supervisor (the bosses wife) took me out on site last week to one of the blocks where they're about to start building a house. They were doing the very 1st stage while we were there & she said she'll take me out on site every so often as the house progresses so I can see it being built. It is going to be so cool to watch this house slowly being built so I learn & understand more lol.

I seem to have managed to handle working full time with not to many issues, I don't get to tired during the day anymore which is great. The only time I really get tired is if I had a few late nights & need to catch up on sleep but I usually try to get an early night so I get plenty of sleep.

The funny feelings have reduced aswell, I still have maybe 1 or 2 a month but they aren't to strong so I don't worry to much about them.

Hope everyone else is going well :banana:

Back
Top Bottom