pseudo seizures with extreme head pressure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree with Robin.

Harvest it, wash it, cut it, cook it.

Any extra steps or additives are a heads up. (with the possible exception of freezing, but often commercial food processors spray with chemicals to preserve color etc. before freezing, so I freeze my own)

It takes some time to change to real food from processed food, but I think it makes a big difference in overall health and possibly in our seizure disorder. There is a huge difference in convenience factor, but you learn to adapt. Now I have one day a week where I cook a giant batch of something and freeze it. Homemade tv dinners and batches of chili or soup or bread. And when a vegetable is in season I blanch and freeze a bunch that will probably last me 6 months.

A next step after that is going organic. Not only is it healthier, but I think it tastes better, too. But it is a lot more expensive than regular chemically sprayed food, so not everyone can do it.

anyone try EMDR treatment for pseudoseizures?

continued from previous posting....daughter is now on Topamax 100mg a day -- head pressure is not completely gone so still takes Fiorecet when pain gets extreme....she has started counseling with a therapist but in our area not alot of expertise in knowledge of pseudoseizures....Her appetite is very bad so I am continstantly telling her to eat something....As a parent I am very frustrated and she is frustrated as she still feel like something is still off....she has started physical therapy to gain strength back in her legs as they are still feel like Jello.....help!

The EMDR sounds like a good approach, especially since it combines a few different therapies, including CBT (which has a decent track record).

Taximom,

So reading this thread i see a lot of similarities with what ive gone through and what my seizures are like. I agree with the statement above that a lot of people tend to have psychogenic as well as regular seizures. The hardest part for me was realizing the difference. I had seizures when i was pretty small and didnt have any stresses or anything in my life. These were even grand mal and def not psychogenic but ive come to realize that i have both. I didnt know how to control them until i started watching my thoughts and my body very closely everyday. i noticed that when i would have a seizure often enough i started to panic or have a specific line of thinking before hand that cause the seizure to be worse. So what i started doing is watching my thoughts and mind closely in situation where i know it will elicit a reaction. For me im a pretty shy person and have a bit of social nervousness which was escalated when my triggers got worse. So every time i would enter a place that was crowded id have a seizure as a result of mixing the physical and psych. So now i am able to basically talk myself through crowds with only minor problems and can get to a dark cornor or sit down where i can get over the physical aspect of it.

for me i also started to challenge myself almost excercise my mind if you will by staying in crowds a bit longer. i dont fully suggest this for your daughter (also depending on the age) but maybe it will work especially if she doesnt want to take meds. The psyche can be strengthened and toned just like a muscle but it requires challenges and exercises. one other thing that helps a LOT, is when she feels a seizure coming on have her focus on something small where she is that is a soothing color or a shape she likes. Have her focus on it and think about its attributes. Ex the pebble is smooth and roundish with green and white swirls and so on. this has saved me a lot. i sometimes even use my medical alert bracelet and focus on it (many options).

i found similarities with the fogginess, pressure, pain, numbness, and stuttering. Id def work with nutrition and maybe homeopathic or herbal stuff (im just starting to research it). you might try some core strengthening yoga.

God bless!!

ps sorry about the length, im a rambler.

As far as psychiatric therapy, there are meds involved, but they're not meds that make you high or zombie-like. More like mood stabilizers...I take Effexor.

Update

as it turn out I took my daughter to the Diamond Headache clinic in Chicago,...immeditaley they admitted her for migraine w/o aura with pseudoseizure....she was put on iv meds of dhe-45 and also had a complete psych eval....

End result she is a migraine suffer and her seizure (episodes) are a manifestation of her pain. she has begun biofeedback in patient but will look for outpatient biofeedback as well and to get with a counselor that can help her deal with pain management or chronic pain....picked her up yesterday and for first time in 60 day my daughter walked out of hospital without a cane or anything!!! she will be adjusting her diet per nutritionist...

my gut told me it was a migraine it was getting someone to help diagnos and treat..we have a long road ahead but not something that is not manageable

Back
Top Bottom