Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've had E all my life but was 39 before they finally found the cause. Don't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that you're having PNES. E. is caused by a number of things & not all of them are that obvious.

I agree.

One of my seizures occurred during nerve conduction study during the second phase of an EMG. They introduced a small amount of voltage into my leg, and I had a generalized seizure, chest pain included. The test was terminated. No doctor made the connection, or understood that the voltage introduced into my body gave me a seizure. That part of the test was buried. The first phase of the test demonstrated consistent electrical discharges from my muscles (at rest), consistent with Myotonic Dystrophy Type 2.

A total of five doctors have dismissed my seizures as psychosomatic or psychogenic, which is inconsistent with logic since the precursors or triggers were always biologically activating, and always deal with electricity, or radio waves. Many muscular dystrophy patients have seizures, and I am not aware of a single doctor who has made the connection between electrical abnormalities in the body leading to seizures. Considering that the voltage of a single muscle cell is -60 millivolts, and that exltracellular fluid has a higher polarity, and that the contraction of muscles involves chemical depolarization and repolarization of one muscle cell, through appropriate ion channels, it is apparent to me that doctors are still very ignorant about seizures.

Furthermore, it is damaging spiritually and psychologically to individuals which can leave permanent scars, if not wounds. For thousands of years doctors have made misdiagnosis, and only when the science is clearly understood is the correct diagnosis made. It would be better for doctors to say, "I don't know." Seizures obey the laws of physics, Ohm's law, and chemistry. Much can be learned about a seizure by studying an integrated circuit board.

To summarize, neurologists, and epileptologists label seizures as psychosomatic or psychogenic largely because they don't understand the science behind seizures fully. In reading Dr. Devinsky Alternative Therapies for Epilepsy book, it became apparent that he did not understand the science behind many alternative therapies, and subsequently dismissed them.

The more we know, the more we realize we don't know.

Back
Top Bottom