Put your cell phone down!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yup, Eric and I are clearly missing out on the joys of texting... LOL :)

I didn't get a mobile phone until about 5 years ago when I decided maybe it would be good idea to have a mobile since I'm out a lot, especially when I was looking for work at the time.

I do text alot because it's cheaper then ringing on the mobile :pfft:.

I keep my mobile phone on during the day, even when i do my voluntary work in case I get an important call (eg -work related, call from the neuros/drs or family related). But when I have paid work, drs appts or am at dinner with friends then I do turn my phone off.

Last edited:
I agree, Valerie!
I didn't get a cell phone until I was in my second year of college, I think (which was still about 9 or 10 years ago), but before that only my dad had a cell mostly for work, but we could contact him on it if we needed to. So I didn't grow up in this age where everyone has a cell phone and 10-year-olds are now getting them. I remember a few years ago I thought it was crazy when high-schoolers wanted cell phones.
So I'm sort of "old-fashioned" when it comes to texting and stuff. If I'm at someone's house, my phone usually stays in my purse the whole time. I went to their house or went out with them to see them, not to be texting five other people in front of this person. I really only play around with my phone and text if I'm just hanging out and not expected to be "entertaining" anyone else.
My grandma gets so annoyed because my parents and I have dinner at her house every Sunday, but both of my parents get their phones out and play on them A LOT. I try not to bring my phone out. I may go check it for messages once or twice while we're there, but I rarely bring my phone out. If I do, I'm only playing with it while my grandma is out making dinner or something.
My dad got the new iPhone, so my mom got his old iPhone 3Gs. And now she's obsessed with it. She downloaded the Facebook app and now she's on Facebook all the time! And she's one of those Facebook stalkers who will go to my brother's Facebook page and read out loud to me the comments on his statuses, and look at all his pictures, then she'll go to my page and ask me who everyone is who commented on or Liked one of my posts. LOL. And I'm almost 30 so it's kind of weird.
Texting while driving was less dangerous with the old type of phones- where you had to use the numbers on the keypad. Because you can memorize it and do it almost without looking. But it's almost impossible to text someone using a full keyboard with one hand while driving. And it's really scary when I find out that someone with an iPhone is texting me while they're driving.

Someone else here mentioned getting letters in the mail. Ah, I love getting letters. I used to have a pen pal when I was about 10. She was the daughter of one of my mom's childhood friends who lived halfway across the country. So we wrote letters to each other back and forth for a few years. I didn't start using the Internet until I was a sophomore in high school, and most of my friends were just starting to use it. I remember having a 28.8K modem at first and having to wait a half hour just for a .jpg to download. I used to chat in HTML chatrooms. Java chatrooms were just becoming more common. It was another year or so until more people started using AOL IM and then eventually ICQ. Ah, those were the days.
Even in middle school and high school, we'd pass handwritten notes to our friends between classes. I'm sure kids just text each other now. Not nearly as fun as killing time during a boring class writing a note to your friend and then folding it up all fancy and handing it to them in the hallway after class as you passed them by. For a time in high school a group of friends and I would pass around a notebook and all write notes to each other in it throughout the day. It was really fun. I think I might have one of those notebooks! I have to go find it!!
Sorry I'm getting nostalgic....

Last edited:
I got my cell a little over 10 years ago. Really the only reason that I got one then was because my cousin had just got a job at a cell company and the whole family was getting phones off of her to make her look good. My first cell was so big that it barely fit in my purse!

We thought when we got the cells that we would be able to make free long distance phone calls but it turned out that we didn't get any recepiton where we lived, we usually had to be about 10 miles away from home before we could make a call. When we did finally get reception at gine was when there was still roaming and it cost about $1.00 for every minute when you were on the phone. Actually it wasn't until about 2 years ago that we finally started to get reception here. We changed cell compaines and it's really good now.

This weekend made me really mad about cells. My husband and I traveled 3 states, about an 8 hour drive, to see one of his friends. They had a small get together while one of the foot ball games was on. His wife and one of the other women that was there spent most of the time talking to each other on face book about what was going on during the game (remember that they were in the same room together). His friend is in his mid 40's too.

It seemed too that his wife, was constantly on the phone. Texting, on face book, the internet or playing games the whole time I was there, even when we were having converstions with her!

I can't stand Face Book! I hate when people get on there and have to tell you the stupidest things. Some things like - my french fries at McDonalds are cold, all my clothes are dirty and all sorts of other things, who really cares about that? There was someone who actually posted over 300 pictures of a vacation they took! I started looking at them but almost all of them were things like them standing on the right side of something, then infront of it, then to the left side of it. Come on, do people actually want to sit there and look at basically the same thing over and over?

I think I said this but the only time I take my phone out when I'm with other people is to check and see if a family member texted me or called. If I don't get back to them then they go crazy and think that I had a seizure and I'm in the hospital, my husband is a really good one about that. Otherwise it stays in my purse or pocket.

Even when I'm at home I don't get on it too much. I'll text sometimes if it's just a quick thing that I need to know or ask, but if I want to talk to someone I'll to call them so I can have a real 'voice' conversation!

Except usefulness in emergencies, cell phones are the dumbest things on the face of the earth. People have become so attached to their cell phones that, it has gotten people killed.

Most recently, a 19yr.-old was killed when he was texting while driving, dropped his phone, and crashed into the back of truck. Then someone crashed into the back of the 19yr.-old.

As a human being, I despise cell phones. As a cyclist, I despise them even more.

I started looking at them but almost all of them were things like them standing on the right side of something, then infront of it, then to the left side of it.

HAHAHA! This made me laugh. Yeah, people need to start filtering their pictures instead of dumping a whole memory card into a folder on Facebook.

I also know a family who calls each other when they are in the house together instead of getting up and talking to them. They think it's easier to do that than walk up or down a flight of stairs! How pathetic is that?

Haha that reminds me of a roommate I had. One morning I got up and went downstairs and started eating breakfast. I got a text from her, and I replied, and then she texted something else, and I replied again, but I heard her phone beep somewhere in the house when it received the message, so I texted back, "Are you in the house?" and she texted back, "Yeah, in the bathroom." LOL

Haha that reminds me of a roommate I had. One morning I got up and went downstairs and started eating breakfast. I got a text from her, and I replied, and then she texted something else, and I replied again, but I heard her phone beep somewhere in the house when it received the message, so I texted back, "Are you in the house?" and she texted back, "Yeah, in the bathroom." LOL

Typical!! I bet she does that in the car too!!!:flushed:

I can't stand Face Book! I hate when people get on there and have to tell you the stupidest things. Some things like - my french fries at McDonalds are cold, all my clothes are dirty and all sorts of other things, who really cares about that? There was someone who actually posted over 300 pictures of a vacation they took! I started looking at them but almost all of them were things like them standing on the right side of something, then infront of it, then to the left side of it. Come on, do people actually want to sit there and look at basically the same thing over and over?

I go on Facebook a little bit but mainly because it's a good way to keep in contact with my family (eg brothers/ Sister, their partners & my nephews etc) who I don't see very often or my close friends.

My older nephews often post how they are bored & have nothing to do or if you like their posts or pick a number they will say something nice about you etc. I can't see the point of telling everyone that I'm bored & sometimes feel like saying to my nephews that if they're bored go out & do something like go for a walk or even help their Mum with the housework instead of telling everyone that they have nothing to do lol.

I grew up in the 1980s & we didn't have mobile phones (Cell phones) & the closest we came to a computer was an atari or Commodore 64 which we used to take turns playing. But we were never bored as we always found something to do, whether it be playing with othertoys, board games or just playing outside with the neighbours kids or riding our bikes. I wonder how this generation of kids/teens would cope living without any computers or mobile phones lol. Whoops, sorry probably gone a bit of topic here LMAO

Last edited:
I don't use my mobile that often but it is nice to get an unexpected text from some one you care about- put's a smile on your face
Nick
xx

I don't use my mobile that often but it is nice to get an unexpected text from some one you care about- put's a smile on your face
Nick
xx

My mobile phone is my only phone. There is a landline in the house. But it is my mother's house and her landline. I don't use the landline. Also because, I am out on my bike a lot, I felt not just for emergencies,for simplicity too, anyone wanting to contact me, should call me on my cell phone.

Yes Car, it's nice to have your own Phone because you never know when you may need it.
You are contactable too!
xx

Yes Car, it's nice to have your own Phone because you never know when you may need it.
You are contactable too!
xx

Since I bike a lot, I certainly can't take a landline with me. For simplicity, I just tell anyone who wants to get a hold of me, to call my cell phone.

I don't have any stupid stuff on the phone.

I can't stand Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, or MyYearbook!!:evil2: People that have become addicted to them, have in some situations, committed suicide. Because they got too wrapped up in what someone said on a given website. While I do have Facebook page, it seems to be the only way I can get a hold of people that have stopped using e-mail.

I don't know if anyone watches The Simpsons, but if you notice at the very begining the two girls in the band are playing on their cell phones instead of playing their clairnets.

The episode that was on tonight was all about people on their cell phones and being on the computer. It had a part on it where everyone was in church with their heads bowed down. Then you saw that everyone was on their cell phone! I'm sure that this actually happens too.

This episode was the perfect example of everything that we've been talking about on here!

Back
Top Bottom