Put your cell phone down!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've found my phone increasingly important in helping me figure my Epilepsy out. Because sometimes I can't talk. But I can send emojis to people. 😅

I've had to start taking my son's phone from him in the morning otherwise he tries to mess with it when he's supposed to be his online classes. Part of the problem, I feel, is that he's never had the actual high school experience. He had to start his freshman year remotely, so he doesn't understand how much more work/pressure it actually takes. His older brother is trying to explain it to him.

I've had to start taking my son's phone from him in the morning otherwise he tries to mess with it when he's supposed to be his online classes. Part of the problem, I feel, is that he's never had the actual high school experience. He had to start his freshman year remotely, so he doesn't understand how much more work/pressure it actually takes. His older brother is trying to explain it to him.
I think his older brother might be his best bet. He might not want to take it from you, the grown up, because you will inherently be more insistent. You know it's because you've been through it and maybe know the consequences but in his eyes you may just be an annoying nuisance. That's how I felt about my girlfriend's parents nagging at me (I didn't have my own parents.) His brother is much closer to his age, understands a lot of what's going on now too, just like him. He might be more eager to take it from his brother than you, because the gap is smaller.

I know I posted this a good while back but I just need to vent about this again.

You'd think that my brother and sister-in-law, who are both in their 40's, could put their phones down for the two hours that one side of our family was together for Christmas? NO! Everyone is sitting around talking. My brother and sister-in-law were too but both of them had their faces in their phones! We have a large sit down and eat lunch and I think they were on their phones while we were eating too!

In the evening the other side of my family, which we don't see that often, got together. We didn't have a sit down and eat dinner there, just eating finger foods and talking. Of course there are my brother and sister-in-law messing around on their phones. Later in the evening we were playing some sort of card game that you had to do what was on the card. Some of the things on the cards were you that had to answer questions about people, first one to answer the question right got a point. My brother did play, and got points, but he had his face in his phone almost the whole time. I have no clue how he did it?

I don't know what they are doing on there and what is so important that you have to be constantly on your phone????

It was Christmas! Let people see your face! Why couldn't put the stupid thing down!

I understand how you feel. Here we go out to dinner and all you see is many people on their cell phones texting and kids playing
games. This is one reason why I retired from working in public school, a lot of the students and staff didn't communicate with each
other in the classroom instead they would text each other wasting time. Some of the teachers would just sit at their desks texting
family friends and others instead of teaching and now the level of education has gone down hill. In my area the school I retired from
seniors are graduating at a 10th grade level. I sure wish we could turn back the clock to when people sat down and visited each other
face to face, those were the good old days.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

I sarcastically told my mother, “No phone’s at the Table “ when she happened to look at it. The kids are constantly looking at their phone.

My son is ADDICTED to his phone!! I think his father is partly to blame for a lot of the issues I have w/him--he spoiled him. When my son was younger, my husband literally wouldn't let me say no to him. He also wouldn't let me actually give him chores to do. Now, when I need him to do something, like put his own clothes away, he says "Stand there & make him".

This kid doesn't even do the chores that I did when I was 5 or 6 years old--and he's 16!!!

My parents are pretty bad with their phones too. My mom being the worst. I've given up on trying to hold a conversation with her a good many times because she's always on her phone or tablet. My parents rarely turn the volume down on their phone too when they are on websites. So out of no where a loud song, bang, person talking and so many other things just pop up.

I do get on Facebook sometimes. It's usually just to see what people I know have been up to and to find out what's going on in the area. I could care less "What a fat dog says when he's hungry" or whatever the post might be called. My mom loves to share things like that.

My son is ADDICTED to his phone!! I think his father is partly to blame for a lot of the issues I have w/him--he spoiled him. When my son was younger, my husband literally wouldn't let me say no to him. He also wouldn't let me actually give him chores to do. Now, when I need him to do something, like put his own clothes away, he says "Stand there & make him".

This kid doesn't even do the chores that I did when I was 5 or 6 years old--and he's 16!!!
My parents know that my brother being on his phone all the time with he is with us seriously bothers me, they even complain about it too, but they won't say anything to him. I could start a whole new thread dealing with things like this that involve my brother!

Here's a good one for you:

I had cancer and I go to a religious cancer support group. At the end of the meeting we hold hands and say a prayer. I looked over and the woman at the end of the line, who is around 40, wasn't holding anyone's hand. But she had her cell on her leg and was messing around on it with her free hand! Try to top that!

I’m putting my phone down now. If you look at the Forum List under The Lounge it has this thread title
“Put your cell phone down!!! “😅

i constantly get messages on sunday mornings from a friend who is bored at church

I just keep my phone with me as I move around the house so that I can answer it if it rings (it's usually my mom, & she get worried if I don't). Texts/WhatsApp messages I'll check a few times a day, but not every time my phone rings/beeps.

My nephew and his wife are exactly like this. Sitting at the table, talking and they are on their phones, probably messaging one another. What *I* do is completely leave them out of the conversation. Even if one addresses me, I ignore them. Finally someone said something so I told them how rude they're being, not participating in the conversations. We ALL have cells, I told him, but we have the good manners to shut them off and act like the adults that they've been for years. Ticked off the both of them. Guess if I cared or not. Just guess.

We went to a 4th of July picnic at my sister in laws house. Her family, my parents and I were all sitting around a table. There weren't seats at the table for my brother and sister in law at the time because they were late, who are always late for things. So they went and sat at another table and pulled out their cell phones. Her dad told them he'd put more chairs around the table for them but they said no and sat at the other table on their phones. When we got our food her dad told them again to come sit with us but they didn't. I think he had even told them to be more sociable and join us at one point.

Her family has a pool and I can't believe my brother didn't fall in when he was walking it on his phone! I didn't hear the entire conversation between my dad and her's but I herd him say "I don't understand that" as he looked at my brother. "I've told him about it but he just doesn't listen" my dad answered.

I need to do b**** about this just a tad more.

We had a family reunion over the weekend. Almost every picture that my brother is in has him looking down at his cell phone! Remember my brother is 43 years old. A good bit of the people who come to the reunion we only a few times a year. How hard is it to put your cell phone down and talk to them? :mad:

Cellphones are the bane of society. :mad:

Dad smashes daughter’s cell phone over $4,750 bill

Dad ends up in jail cell after smashing teen daughter's phone

I'm feeling old now but I remeber a time when there was no internet and email, you just sent good old mail to each other.

I had a friend in the navy when I was in high school. He was stationed all around the world and I just couldn't wait to get that letter or post card to find out where he was and how he was doing. I think I even have them all still. I loved writing that letter back to him asking him what he was doing and letting him know how I was.

If I'm out with other people the only time I'll answer the phone or send back a text is if it from my husband or my parents. I have them set to different ring tones and different types of beeps for a text message so I know who it's from. If I don't then they think I'm having a seizure and might be in the hospital - they get really crazy about that.

My neuro aslo has my cell number because like all drs they always call when you're not home and I won't miss a call this way. This is usually an important call that needs to be taken.
Ya my husband has a camp job and is gone for 2 weeks at a time. He got mad at me once for not answering a text when I was at the doctors for an appointment lol. I guess I should be happy that he loves me so much that he worries but honestly, I hate being attached to my stupid phone all the time))

Back
Top Bottom