Question on Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

WendyCS

New
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, my healthy 11 year old collapsed with a seizure. The sleep deprived eeg showed seizure activity. I was there during the eeg and he did not have a convulsive seizure, he was talking during it etc. He has had no seizure since, but neuro. said if he were her child she'd start him on meds. I agreed but once I got home and started researching the drug became fearful. I know an option is to wait and see if he has another and then start meds. I'm worried about the side effects etc. I have read that sometimes the drug can cause seizures, say for example if the child did not fully absorb a dose for some reason. I'm a wreck, trying to be strong for my son. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

Started in my 20s... My cat scan, MRI & EEG etc etc were normal but a sleep deprived EEG wasn't normal.

Have tried different drugs but Keppra was best for me due to the side effects not being as bad. I was on the same dosage for 3 years and eventually felt pretty normal because I got used to the side effects. This year they increased my dosage because I had a new kind of seizure (at work went from being conscious to seizure) and side effects came back.

Side effects I deal with include feeling tired, zoned out, random periods of being hyper active & taking longer to memorize things. I went to psychologist thinking I had ADD, ADHD or some derivative of it because I never had these stints of energy before but was told no.

edit - I feel really bad for your child. Stay strong for him

Last edited:
Keep in mind I am offering a completely nonmedical opinion, but since the EEG showed seizure activity I would be inclined to start the medication. If it was an isolated seizure and all the tests had been normal, then I would be tempted to wait before starting medication. It is my understanding that when the EEG shows seizure activity, there is a much greater likelihood of subsequent seizures. It can definitely be a tough road trying to find the right medication and the right dosage, but keep in mind that most people are helped by the first medication they try, and that most people do not experience significant side effects. The internet is a great place to find out about the negatives, and rarely do we read about the positives. Your son is at an age where he will be wanting more independence, and if medication can suppress the seizure activity you can help him safely be more independent without having to constantly worry about him having a seizure.

I have a son too and I feel for you in that situation. I have Epilepsy and tried a number of meds over the years. And, I will say that the 'side' effects may or may not become apparent so, IMHO there is no reason to worry about something that MAY happen. I know that sounds trite, and extremely slow increases help with that. I am sure your doctor knows how to advise you best as I am not a doctor and I do not play one on TV, etc, etc. All restrictions apply. hehe. It will be alright.

Hi Wendy,

I've been on keppra since it hit the market in the UK and it's helped me but not everybody is the same but years ago I was put on Epilim and every week I was being weighed by the under consultant as my weight was progressing but that could have been other meds at the same time....the main consultant came to check on me while in hospital and went mad and told is under study to take me off it and to get me on tegretol as Epilim is mainly used in treating children with seizures and not adults.

The reason for stating this...as it's worth asking to make double sure incase he does need a drug to help him:)

Hey Wendy.

Everything has side effects and you won't know them until your son tries the medication. I've been on Keppra for years. The side effects aren't too bad. Sleepiness, minor temporary dizziness, and temper problems are my issues. I deal with them all in my own way and I'm ok with that. They help control theseizures and I well continue to use them.

I hope this helps you out a little.

I'm also on Keppra, and have been increasing the dose fairly steadily to get better control. I also don't really have many side effects from this medication--really none other than a little sleepiness and nasal congestion for the first week. Everyone is different, and you won't know how it may affect any individual--it could be a very good med for your child.

Wendy, I am also a mom watching my son have seizure like activity. I hear your struggles in weighing the options and making the best choice. You will know the best action to take...motherly instinct. Thankfully, we have this forum to gather more information from people with experience.

~Nancy~

Hi, my son started Keppra at 15 10ml 2x day. He has a very short temper and was failing in school. He has anxiety and paranoia. He is now 16 and I'm going to dr. on Wednesday to change his meds or give him something to calm him down. I tried vitamin B-6 for awhile, but not seeing much improvement. I feel bad for him because he was never like this before meds and he suffers silently. Watch your child closely to see the side effects.

Hi, I have had rage attacks and mood problems too. And now I found out that my immune system is greatly affected too. I am a super healthy person and always had healed fast from everything. But now i have several times had small cuts on my hands that required antibiotics and hospital visits due to bad infections. Drag.

Hi, my son started Keppra at 15 10ml 2x day. He has a very short temper and was failing in school. He has anxiety and paranoia. He is now 16 and I'm going to dr. on Wednesday to change his meds or give him something to calm him down. I tried vitamin B-6 for awhile, but not seeing much improvement. I feel bad for him because he was never like this before meds and he suffers silently. Watch your child closely to see the side effects.

Please don't drug him up even more

I'm on Keppra and so far it has been the best I have taken with regards to side effects, previously I have taken Epilem, Tegretol and Lamictal. Each med has its own fun set of side effects but Keppra is supposed to have one of the cleaner profiles when it comes to side effects. I personally haven't experienced any of the mood related symptoms which other people seem to get. I do have trouble sleeping (though I am predisposed to that anyway) and constipation, but that is easily solved with fibre :).

If your son has shown seizure activity I would start him on the medication, it may be scary but he could hurt himself having seizures and if he stabilises on medication then maybe they can review lowering the dose or taking him off it over time. Just make sure you shop around for neurologists and try to find one who actually takes the time to investigate things and doesn't just put him on meds and send you away.

Back
Top Bottom