Question re seizures changing side?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Sorry might seem like a weird question. In one type of siezure my son he has always gone to the left, he vagues out and "falls" to the left sometimes his right arm sticks straight out when it happens. On the weekend he started doing a very similar thing to the right although a little more like a spasm. I was sitting behind him so didn't get to see his eyes until he was leaned right over. I tried calling him he didn't respond for a few seconds then "came back and smiled" He has done this on the last two days and we have hardly noticed him "going to the left side".
A couple of his other types of event seemed to change/intensify as well but I think him being tired had a bit to do with this.
As his Nureo is still unsure as to where Harrisons event's are heading, if they are true seizures etc I was just wondering can they change sides? I email his Nureo a weekly update on Mondays so will make sure I mention this in the email.
Thankyou
Donnajane

Yes, seizures can evolve and change over time. They can go from having a single "focus" or origin in the brain, to being "multi-focal" and having several points of origin. Depending on where they originate, they can show up in different ways, and in different muscles -- sometimes one side, sometimes on the other, sometimes both at the same time.

Definitely let your neuro know what's happening -- you may also want to ask if there are specific behaviors or symptoms you should be on the look out for.

my son has partial seizures, our doc said that it can trigger in various parts of the brain and this explains why he'll sometimes twitch on the right side of his body and sometimes on the left. I think I understood him correctly. But he has partial seizures and they switch sides from one seizure to the next.

Hi, Thanks for the response. Would you mind if I ask a few questions? How old is your son? When was he first diganosed? Do his partial seizures show up on EEG? Is he on any meds? My little man is 1 on 19th Jan. Although we know he has Shudder Syndrome, Nureologists are unsure what else is going on. We have been told they look like Tonic Events only slow and our Nureologist has also showed the footage to other Nureo's who agree they appear to be Epileptic Events. His Paed said so many of them seem like parital seizures. He has so many "weird" little events that no one is sure whats going on. Nureo has said he feels Ok to say now he doesn't have a nasty form of epilepsy and some of it may be behavioural or not and others he just doesn't know. I feel its just going to be a wait and see what happens as he gets older as everyone keeps telling us the next year in particular will help with his diagnosis. Thanks for the reply.

My seizures never changed side. They were always on both sides It was never figured out till after I had my RTL in 1982, and scar tissue was removed.They wouldn't do surgery on the left because they didn't do surgery on both sides.
I'm glad now I stuck it out found other reasons for my seizures.

(a)abort (b)fail (c)retry (d)throw computer against wall
southern &proud of it.

Belinda

Back
Top Bottom