Quick help needed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My husband is acting very strange today. It started last night with him having terrible wind, then he was not getting comfy in bed, took 2 hours to get him settled. This morning he woke, had some food and then felt a little light headed and went to bed for some sleep. After 3 hours sleep he woke and came downstairs, asking questions I answered in the morning. Off to bed again, coming down again asking the same questions. This happened 2 more times. When I speak to him he is clear, answers me, is alert. At the moment he is in bed playing a game on his iPod and is acting like a kid when loosing(sighing, annoyance). He had all his medication, the increase of 1 tablet of his new medication happened on Friday. He seems a little confused. But then again clear if spoken to. Anyone came across something like this ? Any ideas ? Help ? Suggestions ? Thanks friends !!!!!!
Anja

Hi Anja --

Is Col otherwise okay, or has his breathing problems continued? Has he been getting plenty to eat and drink? If he is otherwise okay, then it seems that either seizures or medication may be causing his confusion. What med is he on, and what dosage is he at now?

It might have to do with medication if there's been a recent change in pills or dosage but I'd also wonder if it is pre-ictal or post-ictal behaviour.

It sort of sounds like me after a seizure.

...but I'd also wonder if it is pre-ictal or post-ictal behaviour.

That's what I was thinking. I'm no expert but at least my thoughts were shared by another :)

Hope you figure things out soon!

It might have to do with medication if there's been a recent change in pills or dosage but I'd also wonder if it is pre-ictal or post-ictal behaviour.

He is on this medication since November last year and this Friday had the first increase of one tablet more . Last seizure was 2 days ago, he has them every 2-4 days usually. Normally pre or post seizure no difference in his behaviour just the bad headaches and tiredness ! I'm worried and it is like being in bed with a stranger. He just went to the toilet (it's 18.15 hrs here) and said that jana still has her tv on she should be sleeping. I gently told him the time and he was ok about it. Back in bed he reminded me that her tv was still on...! Here we go again. It is confusing !

I would call his neurologist/epileptologist/doctor.

Keep us posted.

Different dosage levels of medication have different effects on people -- even if they've been on the same med for a while. Confusion and forgetfulness isn't unusual with a med change, especially with an anti-epileptic. I'm not sure if you should wait it out or call his neuro. That'll have to be your call.

It's 7pm here, it will have to wait until tomorrow, I'm just so worried and thought maybe someone here came across something like this before. I will let you know what happened. Need to charge the iPod now, so am offline for about 2 hours. Thanks already for all tje replies!!!!!

anja,

trouble breathing and cognitive issues can be the meds, or something else, like a stroke or TIA. please call his doc asap.

He started settling down quite well and peaceful. There was not so much breathing problems as just a lot of "burps", but apart from that he was breathing ok, his pulse ok, and so was his bloodpressure. I kept watch nearly all night, this morning he got up, got dressed, had breakfast. Then he said he had terrible backpain in the lower of his back, so I gave him a relaxing massage and send him to bed, just for a short while to relax and just be warm and cozy. I check on him every 10 minutes, at the moment he is snoozing a little. I will give yous an update when I can. Thanks again for all the responses, it meant the world to me last night, THANK YOU !

Glad to

hear that Col seems to be doing just a little bit better. Hopefully he gets to top-notch soon!

Thanks Meetz, last night it was so good for me to know that there would be someone replying and trying to help. I needed that, and it was a fantastic feeling ! Thank you :rock:

oh noooo, he is back to being slightly confused....its confusing for me too. Tried to reach his Neurologist, but not available, too busy with Clinic right now. F*****g people ! Arghhhhhhhh !:soap::soap::soap::soap::soap::soap:

I hope your neuro gets back to you ASAP. The med increase seems a culprit, but there could be something else going on. What do you think the back pain was from?

No idea, really. There is another thing I remembered. Someone on this site told Colin she/he was taking 20mg of Melatonin at night to aid sleep. Colin always just took 9 mg, so he increased it to 20 in one go (about a week now), maybe that has something to do with it too. Still no call and it is already 5 pm here. tried to ring but no one answers phone, left numerous messages though. Do you think I might be on to something here, and maybe reduce the melatonin and then GRADUALLY increase to maybe 20 over 2-4 weeks time ?

The confusion seesm more extreme than anything the melatonin might cause, but it's hard to predict individual reactions. You might want to have Col reduce his dosage and see if that helps.

These side effects are listed on the web:
The most common Melatonin side-effect is headache and/or an altered sleep pattern. Mental or mood changes may also occur as well as itching, fast heartbeat or heavy headedness. Melatonin may cause lowering of the body temperature. Vivid dream is also associated with melatonin use. Melatonin side-effects are usually temporary and can be relieved by reducing the melatonin dosage.

Thanks Nakamova, will do. He's in bed now and I hope a good might sleep will follow. I need to sleep too as I watched over him nearly all night last night. I gave him 12 mg of melatonin...now it's a waiting game, I guess. Thank you for the reply. You have no idea how much that means to me. I felt not alone and that is a fantastic feeling, so, thank you again !!!!!! xxx

Anja -- I hope both of you get a great night's sleep and feel better in the morning.

Many years ago I tried melatonin & my seizures got very weird. They were more frequent but very light and long.

I have nothing to add other than that I'm following this thread and have my fingers and toes crossed that his neuro calls you ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom