Rash after Ativan in the ER

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I was having some really bad auras on Thursday so I took .5 mg of Klonopin (per my prescription). I felt like a grand mal was coming on, so I had my neighbor call the ambulance.

When I got to the ER, the doctor gave me 1 mg of Ativan via IV. Two days later, I have a huge rash (looks like goosebumps) going the length of my lower arm where the needle was placed. I also noticed my eyes are pretty bloodshot as well. Could this be an allergic reaction to the Ativan, or mix of Ativan and Klonopin?

I've never had this type of reaction to Ativan before, as this was the benzo I was on before switching to Klonopin. Even when they blasted me with higher doses, I didn't have this type of reaction.

*I should note that the EMT stuck my other arm but hit a valve, so no saline could get through. When the nurse tried to draw blood it was barely coming out, which is when they switched to my other arm.*

Just an update. I went to the walk-in clinic today, and they said it was an allergic reaction to the rubbing alcohol stuff they swabbed my arms with. Yay! *insert sarcasm here*

Rashes can be scary! I'm glad it was just the rubbing alcohol. Hope it went away, and that you are feeling better overall.

Back
Top Bottom