Reasons for taking a license away in North Carolina

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zippchic

New
Reaction score
I'm new to NC and was wondering if anyone knows what the stipulations are for when someone has a seizure and do they take your license away?

I don't know the laws in NC,but they do in TX. In order to get your license back after it has been taken. You have to remain seizure free for a certain length of time at least six months or more. Each state is different.

Hi Zippchic - sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.
My daughter isn't able to get her license yet here in CA. She has to be seizure free for 6 months, but I have told her my rules are a year. She wants to wait until she is 18... so that is 1.5 yrs. That works for me.

Hi Zippchic - sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.
My daughter isn't able to get her license yet here in CA. She has to be seizure free for 6 months, but I have told her my rules are a year. She wants to wait until she is 18... so that is 1.5 yrs. That works for me.
This may be a stupid question, but can somebody simultaneously have a drivers' license and a non-drivers' state issued identification card? I'm thinking it probably is not an option because of identity theft.

In my case, my photo from my non-driving id was reused on my drivers license. But, if somebody drives, then doesn't drive, then drives...it's kind of a hassle to get that id every 6 months (or whatever the time interval is for their state if it exists).

In PA, they use the same number on the nondrivers id as they use on the drivers license. I wish there was simply a way for a little chip inside the license to be updated with the driving status of the cardholder.

How about a little chip embedded in your earlobe, and if you aren't suppose to drive... the car doesn't start. :bigsmile:
I have never given much though to the predicament that you pose above. I am sure some of the drivers that have lost their license can offer some ideas.

Here in CA we may be faced with drivers without proper registration with the state, criminal backgrounds, and no insurance. A couple of years ago, my car was totaled by a drunk, suspended license, illegal.... my son was driving without uninsured motorist and I was out a car.

Driving is a privilege not a right.

:hello: Zip!

Welcome to CWE! I can see that many folks
have responded to your questions and I surely
hoped you've clicked on the link Bernard had
provided as it will assist you greatly!

And feel free to make yourself a home here
in CWE. Don't feel bad, I've driven for many
years, only in 2007 I surrendered it on my own
without anyone asking me to because I just
knew that I knew that I knew ~ I couldn't
drive anymore and plus, I couldn't live with
myself if I were to have a seizure and killed
or injured someone. After I surrendered it, I
then cycled over to my Primary's office and
informed them; to which they were surprised,
and then I notified my other Doctors as well.

Do I regret it - NO! Do I miss driving? Yes.
But I'd rather not drive and put someone and/or
myself at a risk.

--------------------------------------

IN RESPONSE TO THE OTHER POSTINGS:

Robin is absolutely correct ...

I must back her up on this and put
a lot of emphasis on it because people
forget all the time...

DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE - NOT A RIGHT!

Hey Alive! Here in Cali, if I understand correctly, yes, you can have a state issued photo ID as well as a Driver's License. My 16 and 15 year olds both have photo ID's. Which they are required by law to carry at all times. :) Makes it easier for the cops when they ticket or arrest hooligans that are out doing things they shouldn't do.

Back
Top Bottom