refuse ambulance transport

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The emt's know me by face, i am not sure if thats a good thing or not.

I agree policy varies between fire districts.
I have had them let me go before when i said i don't need it. i have had them say "we have to take you in, the hospital can let you go"
Usually here, I have signed out of the e.r. more than anything and not given them an address.
I am not sure how they do billing, but a lot of places, the emts bill independently from the hospital.

When I was in college, i had a complex partial seizure that started up in class. I knew it was going to happen since I have auras- anyway i wandered around without knowing it- i ended up in another building close by.
EMS was called out since my interpreters and teacher would not be able to help me much- besides keeping me from hurting myself.
EMS arrived and all i remember is them being at my feet wanting to know more about what happened.
So they told them- and i realized that 10 people were around me. Embarassing.
EMS asked if I wanted to go, when I was more back to myself. I said I did not want to go, and be observed for 4hrs and nothing probably would happen, seizure wise. I usualy only have one and thats it.
So if you're aware enough to at least answer some basic questions- then if you say no, they can't force you.

I went back to my dorm room and went to sleep. Security came by and opened my door to make sure I was going to be okay. I was. I thought I had done something wrong to someone or to something- i didnt know.
They said everything was fine and that if I wanted to go to the health center to be evaluated, then I could.
I was too sleepy to do that- so I told them I was okay.
Having a seizure in school or in class really really sucks and is embarassing. Complex partials are less likely to be recognized by others- but it also doesn't help when someone needs to know what's happening to you.

I always wear my medic-alert necklace since I have been slapped in the past by a teacher who thought I was falling asleep!

Anyway- its good that people call EMS to be sure- but its when you can't communicate, is when you may not have any choice in going to the hospital. Hopfully more people educate others more on other types of seizure that don't require EMS immediatly unless someting else or more seizure happens.

Everyone take care.

See, this is a situation where I am glad one of my best friends is a "mini doc in a box." (Paramedic) On her advice, I never leave my house without my TBI dogtag which is basically a glorified medic alert thing I wear around my neck.

Flip the tag over and it tells whoever's looking - in big bold black letters - that all the necessary information is on a card in my pocket. If the EMT will get the card out, they'll see - whether I'm capable of answering them or not at the time - that if they wait a few minutes, I'll come out of it and they don't need to take me to the hospital...because if I come to in an ambulance, I am so not gonna be a happy camper, haha.

Inaara,

That's a really good idea. I have a bracelet that has really basic information (condition, meds, allergies), but I really want to communicate exactly what you mentioned. Doesn't fit on a bracelet, and most EMTs don't think to look in the wallet. The solution you describe handles this.

My only concern is that I don't want even a well-meaning bystander digging through my wallet. In fact, my big fear is of having a SZ in public and having someone make off with my wallet, laptop, etc.

-B

I keep the info card in a plastic sleeve separate from my personal stuff like military ID, bank card, etc. I used to be intel in the Army, so I am a little paranoid about folks getting theri hands on my personal information as well, hehe.

Don't know bout elsewhere but recent activity has informed me of some changes to Montreal's EMT reponse. As soon as the EMT's arrived I asked for the AMA release form and was told by the newbie due to the fact that it was a neurological event I would need to speak with a doctor who they called from the Ambulance. The older EMT was willing to let me ride on the old rules but newbie was following the "newly institued rules and regulations". After convincing the MD that I was coherent and capable of getting home alone he finally let me sign the form and leave.

Getting out of it...

I can understand the perspective of ambulance attendants - it's hard to know whether you're unconscious because of a grand mal, heart attack, low blood sugar, drug overdose. However, it is damned aggravating and inconveniet to be dragged away against your will. I can't even get my employer to agree to not call when they are very aware of my condition. Everyone's afraid of getting sued - and I certainly don't have the $$ to do that.

This raises as issue in general - perhaps someone doesn't like medical treatment in general and prefer natural approaches. Or they even WANT to die! They don't particularly want to have their age artificially extended, when everything is going wrong with their elderly bodies. And this is costing society to impose medical treatment whether they like it or not.

I did contact the ambulance service in town, then they just passed it to the local hospital, which of course, said they were going to scoop me up whether I like it or not. The least concession that they'd give me is I could refuse to go in the hospital if I so decided, or walk out against medical advice.

I suppose it could be useful to have my blood levels checked to see what's going on. I may be low on one medcation or the other. One time an MD told me I had unsually low salt level, so now I lick my sweat if I'm exercising hard. And occasionally, I do have scrapes and bruises.

I've refused ambulance service. They still charged me 350.00 for coming to my house! THey didn't do anything but talk to me, and read what I tried to write down, and answer my phone when my husband called me. I had to signe a refusal form. I think it is ridiculous doe me or my insurace to pay 800- 1200 dollars for a ride that only cost me a couple of dollars in my own vehicle should I need it.

Looking over these posts, it's obvious to me that this is another perspective on "disability rights", a growing political movement. I'm lucky now, I receive MassHealth, a form of universal health care in MA - but this money is coming out of state money and taxes. It's a sheer waste of time and money. I have been in NH without health insurance and had huge bills (for me in low income) to pay - which I wound up simply not paying. The fact that they would go so far as to charge if you didn't go is really out of bounds.

Perhaps one could arrange special service with that bracelet?

Another legal complication is I still hang onto my driver's license, because I need it just to ride mopeds or scooters around. So I don't want them digging into that.

Anyway, this thing definitely needs legislative attention.

Don't know bout elsewhere but recent activity has informed me of some changes to Montreal's EMT reponse. As soon as the EMT's arrived I asked for the AMA release form and was told by the newbie due to the fact that it was a neurological event I would need to speak with a doctor who they called from the Ambulance. The older EMT was willing to let me ride on the old rules but newbie was following the "newly institued rules and regulations". After convincing the MD that I was coherent and capable of getting home alone he finally let me sign the form and leave.

That's insane. I think they should let the patient do what they want. But on other side, they are covering themselves from being sued if they make you sign, but if someone stills sues by saying you were not in your right mind, and they did not make sure that you had help getting home, etc etc, and because of that you got hurt, even though the form was signed. it would look like negligence on their part

I've refused ambulance service. They still charged me 350.00 for coming to my house! THey didn't do anything but talk to me, and read what I tried to write down, and answer my phone when my husband called me. I had to signe a refusal form. I think it is ridiculous doe me or my insurace to pay 800- 1200 dollars for a ride that only cost me a couple of dollars in my own vehicle should I need it.

This is what I find stupid. They should be taking down the names and numbers of the people who called in the emergency so that if it turns out to be a false alarm, so if the EMTS arrive, and the situatuion is explained, and you chose to sign the release form, 1 f 2 things happens. they waive the fee and you go about your day, or they dem the person who called responisble then there are plenty of people that get overly panicky and call an ambulance over a tiny cut or back pain.

This is what I find stupid. They should be taking down the names and numbers of the people who called in the emergency so that if it turns out to be a false alarm, so if the EMTS arrive, and the situatuion is explained, and you chose to sign the release form, 1 f 2 things happens. they waive the fee and you go about your day, or they dem the person who called responisble then there are plenty of people that get overly panicky and call an ambulance over a tiny cut or back pain.

On one hand, I agree with Rae.

On the other hand, I understand why people get stupid...Not everywhere has a "good samaritan" law. I have a first aid & CPR certification which allows me to help people who are injured should I happen to be there or come on scene. Someone needs help, I can offer it. Is a lack of a "good samaritan" law goinig to stop me? No - because the right thing to do is the right thing to do, perios. CPR properly done will break ribs. Someone wants to sue me over borken rids when I saved their life, they are the ones who look like fools, not me.
But not everyone is comfortable with that outlook, and so they are going to hit 911 and let the paramedics deal with it. Let's face it: to someone who has never seen it, a seizure of any kind is scary. My older borther had tonic clonics as I was growing up so in high school french class when the boy next to me had one, it didn't scare me and I knew what to do (but it doesn't make it any less scary for me now when I have seizures, to be perfectly honest) ...but I don't think that makes it any less scary for someone "on the outside" who's never seen a seizure of any kind and has no freakin' clue that when I tell them I'm fine after even a non-tonic clonic that I really am fine.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective? would it make me mad as hell if my wishes were ignored and someone called an anbulacne? Yep. But then I would calm down and see it from the ir side, too, I guess. Or at least I'd like to think I would try to.

I just dont think that you should be charged if it turns out you are perfectly capable of signing that release form. They showed up to take you to the hospital. If they didnt do that, you shouldnt have to pay.

I just dont think that you should be charged if it turns out you are perfectly capable of signing that release form. They showed up to take you to the hospital. If they didnt do that, you shouldnt have to pay.

And that would be where I agree with you ;)

If there's no valid medical reason preventing you from telling them "go away" and some dlot called 911, the jerk who called sould pay. :D

Calling 911...

If I "switch out" in a relatively private spot - or have friends with me, I'm pretty lucky. I've brought up this thing with my work company, just let me get out of it, don't just panic and call 911. They just give me this line: "It's company policy. We can't do anything about it." That's what you will hear in any chain store, they're just following orders, it's in the fine print of the employment contract. The ambulance attendants and ER are the same way, they don't listen to your preference to be left alone.

When I come out of it and see ambulance attendants hovering around me, the first thing I say (actually scream at them) is "NO... LEAVE ME ALONE!" Maybe I don't remember the date of my birth or who the president is (who cares?) - but I have enough minimal cognition to know I'm about to be dragged away against my will. And yes, we should have the right to just sign a release form so they will go away.

Zoofemme,

Are you secretly that hilarious comedienne whose routine includes playing voicemails from her mother, who lives in another state? Because your mom sure sounds like her mom! (Now what was her name, so you can listen on you-tube???????????)

:roflmao: No, I wish I was...then I would at least be making some much needed cash. I don't miss the stress and the long hours from my last job but I sure do miss the paycheck :(

My mom and I are on two different wavelenghts...nothing annoys me more than to hear my dad or my husband say we are alike (be cause we definitely aren't!)...my husband says they do it just to spin me up :roll: I love my mother to death and would defend her with my life but I still think she is an idiot...some of the things she says and does are just mid-boggling...so now I will go stick my nose in the corner for being a naughty daughter...

My mom and I are on two different wavelenghts...nothing annoys me more than to hear my dad or my husband say we are alike (be cause we definitely aren't!)......so now I will go stick my nose in the corner for being a naughty daughter...

There's a reason why I try to always be at least a thousand miles from my mother at all times :roflmao:

In all seriousness, my mother's a great lady - so long as we never have to be in the same room for more than 5 minutes. But we do have our similarities...few of them good personality traits, I might add! :roflmao: I'm 90% like my dad and 10% like my mom and the 90% helps me put up with the 10% and have a more philosophical and calm approach to dealing with my outrageous stubbornness, unbelievable pride, and wicked, short-fused temper that I got from my mother (among other things, hehe). No need to go stick your nose in the corner, though. *shrug* I long ago learned that some people's personalities don't mesh and just because we share blood doesn't really mean anything personality-wise. I love the woman dearly, but simply cannot live with her (and that includes staying under her roof when visiting the area she lives in). That doesn't make me a naughty daughter or a bad person, it just makes me human. ;)

Well...in my case the idiot was my mother :rolleyes: From another state no less.

Even though she didn't respect your wishes, maybe since she is in another state she just wanted to make sure you were ok?
A lesson hard learned was that blood is not always thicker than water. After working really hard to track down my bio parents, I realized that in many ways my life was better beforehand. I haven't spoken with my mother in years, told her to clean up or get out!
My Monster(mom)-In-Law drives me nuts!!! But she cares and for that I am thankful. She doesn't always understand, she often thinks she knows more about me than I do. She has chosen to stay around and help me fight the hard fight (even if he is the problem sometimes)

Last edited:
Oh...there is no need to worry about her being in another state now...now she is just 10 minutes down the road!!! :roflmao: My husband had the audacity to get a job just 45 minutes away from my parents...hows that for irony :rolleyes:

Inaara...I had to live with my mother for almost 2 months until we could finally move into our new house...it was excruciatingly painful

Back
Top Bottom