Remembering things that didn't happen

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
My memory is horrible but I'm always remembering things that didn't happen. I can see it clear as day in my mind but when I talk to someone about it they'll tell me it didn't happen like I remember it or it didn't even happen at all.

I'd gone on a cruise two years ago. We'd gotten off at an island and it was so hot there. I was sweating so bad my glasses kept running down my nose and I couldn't keep them on my face. There were a few different times during the day that a small boat would take us back to the cruise ship. We walked around the island for a few hours. There wasn't much to look at and got on the first boat back because we couldn't stand the heat and wanted to be on the cruise ship in the air-conditioning.

Well that's not how it happened. I was talking to my mom about it and she said that we went to the island on the small boat. It was hot but nothing at all like I remember it being. We stayed on the island all day because there was only one time, not several times, that the small boat took people back to the cruise ship. I've forgotten a good bit of the cruise in general. Pretty much the only thing that I really remember is that I went on one.

I've gotten into fights with my parents about things that I think happened but they tell me didn't. They usually just give up and tell me I'm right just so I'll stop arguing with them. I know they are probably right though but I can just see it plain as day in my head.

Does this happen with anyone else?

My seizures started at 55, January 8th was the first Tonic Clonic. I can't remember anything around that. It's hard to remember how far before the seizure are my memories. Also they have been terrible since. I couldn't even remember where I was living. Short term is getting better but still not right. It is hard to have to have the people around me tell me what I said and did in the weeks before and after the first seizure. I have had more sense and can't remember things around them either. It is very emotional and disorienting to go through this. I haven't had exactly what is happening to you but I think I understand the frustration.

I often times have trouble remembering words that I want to say. I’ll be in mid-sentence and my mouth can’t keep up with my thoughts and then a train wreck happens and I totally forget what my whole statement was going to be. Very frustrating.

I've gotten into fights with my parents about things that I think happened but they tell me didn't. They usually just give up and tell me I'm right just so I'll stop arguing with them. I know they are probably right though but I can just see it plain as day in my head.

Both of my parents are “perfectionists.” I try say what I want and sometimes I blurt out the wrong thing, but they know what I meant to say. By the time I finish my sentence they say, “Don’t you mean ________?”

Huh?? That’s what I said!

No you didn’t.

I’ve learned to just pretend like they didn’t say anything. It wasn’t easy at first, but I just started playing their voices as adult/teacher voice from Charlie Brown.

“Wuh wunt whu! Wuh wunt whu!”

Hi valeried,

I will see a person I know but I can't remember their name and sometimes when I write a word down it doesn't look like it
is spelled right or I forget how to spell everyday simple words and that never happened until I had the brain surgery done.

I can also remember many yrs. ago but my short term memory is terrible. I can't remember for sure if I locked the door
before I go to bed and sometimes I get up to double check and the door is always locked. My neurosurgeon and Epileptologist
told me to do a lot of math brain teasers and just brain teasers in general and that will better my short term memory.

Wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

Both of my parents are “perfectionists.” I try say what I want and sometimes I blurt out the wrong thing, but they know what I meant to say. By the time I finish my sentence they say, “Don’t you mean ________?”
Army Vet I can totally relate, my mums like that I will say something and if it’s wrong she’ll try to correct me. I think she does it with Dad who has memory problems too.

It drives me insane, I end up getting cranky with her and telling her off.

Last night I was telling my mum how when I woke up for work and the alarm went off it was an hour early then it should’ve been. The alarm went off at the right time but the clock was wrong, sometime in the middle of the night I changed my clock (a digital clock) so instead of getting up at 6:30 I got up at 5:30.
I always get the words putting your clocks forward and back confused so mum was going on about it and what time it should’ve been because I said the wrong word.

I said no it was an hour earlier then it should’ve been.

I can also remember many yrs. ago but my short term memory is terrible. I can't remember for sure if I locked the door
before I go to bed and sometimes I get up to double check and the door is always locked. My neurosurgeon and Epileptologist
told me to do a lot of math brain teasers and just brain teasers in general and that will better my short term memory.
Sue
Hi Sue
Both my neuropsych assessments pre surgery / 4 years post surgery showed my memory is in the normal range. But like you my short term memory isn’t that good and long term memory is pretty good.

I forget stuff from recently but can remember stuff from my childhood.

At work when we have customers or suppliers come in I’ll often recognise their face but forget their name. It’s more with the newer customers or suppliers who don’t come in much.

My Wife just reminded me about The String.
I was talking about this Thread (no pun meant) and false memories, and the things I don't recall, and she reminded me that I always talk about String. "Hand me a bit of String, and I can follow it to a memory most of the time." Like the Thread about the bands, and 'what are you listening to'... I sometimes remember the bands, sometimes even the songs, usually just bits of the choruses (although I truly think that a lot of THAT has to do with being late-deafened; I used to BE in a really bad garage metal band when I was -well, I don't remember, but young. Now that I can't hear, the memories of sounds and songs are starting to escape me.) Oh but anyway, Strings. I didn't recall being in a bad garage band until just now for instance, although I was, and we actually had gigs once or twice a month. We just basically sucked; nobody CARED since they were all wasted, WE were wasted, and the music was loud, so we got paid. But if the topic hadn't arisen, I'd just remember something about "Hey! I used to know how to play that song!" Things like that. Not that I was actually, technically, an ex-professional performer.
Strings.
I had forgotten that I'm always talking about my memory being such a mess, and how it usually works like that, "Give me a bit of string, and I can follow it to a memory." My Wife. Where would I be without her.
Flat in the middle of a roadway somewhere, after getting terribly lost, and probably less than a quarter mile from home. That's where, is MY wager.

Back
Top Bottom