research for alt. help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowind

New
Reaction score
After hearing all the horror stories about these drugs these Dr's are giving us and my own little keppra episode, I done lotta looking into other ways, I had to get off the keppra it was killing me phs/ment. I was shocked to find out that the cannabis plant has been used for e for hundreds if not thousands of years, looking further I found many Dr's Prof. ect. that studie this have all came to the same conc. it works! now Im sure theres eyebrows raising when this is brought up, but as for me I'd eat a ratt turd if I had some proof that it would help! being a child of the 60's Im not in the dark about it all anyhow. If this plant wich is totally natural does stop kindling and all they claim it does, then why the ell aint it being used??!! Ithink this plant would be veiwed diffrently if it were not given such a bad name (from my generation) the hippie thing made the gov. nervious? It just seems so crazy that theres a plant that treats e and its not being used legally!!? other contries use it for e, Ithink there afraid of loosing money as its real easy to grow. p.s. it works. but we have to be (crinimals to get its benifits). like I said i'd eat a turd to stop this E b.s. It just blows my mind that it isent used to treat e,

Hello,
I don't use marijuana, but you can find a lot of links on it doing a google search on
"marijuana" "epilespy". You can also find more alt therapy links doing a google on
"alternative medicine" "epilepsy". I saw an earlier post on valerian root. I found that and cammomile useful for myself. Do research anything before you try it so you know what is safe and what might not be safe for yourself. A lot of pharmacies have references now on herbs so many of us use them, so that may be a resource for you too.
Also, have you considered trying the GARD diet that was discussed in this forum. Not likely to harm and can be the key for getting some seizure relief.

Scientific studies on it have been inconclusive. There are some studies that show it is effective in controlling seizures and there are some other studies that show it exacerbates seizures.

The side effects, however, are well known. There are better alternatives out there IMO. I built the chart of alternative treatements in part to raise awareness of alternatives (including marijuana) but also to highlight all the issues (including side effects) that should be considered. When you see the big picture for all of them, it's clear that marijuana doesn't stack up.

BTW, here is the original marijuana thread. I'm closing this thread to replies. The discussion can continue in the original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom