Reverse Seizures, Grand Mal to Simple or Complex Partial

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone had a Grand Mal first, then either a Simple or Complex Partial Seizure? From the description I've been given about mine, sounds like I had a Grand Mal, then a Complex Partial. I was unconscious for the Grand Mal, then they say I was unaware of where I was and don't remember anything and was disoriented. Does anyone experience this?

Growing up I would get seizures like this. Id have a grand mal seizure, then have alot of complex partial seizures. My last grand mal seizure my mother recalls me having was in 2000. I went out with a friend one night, and came home to sleep. Woke up to take a bath and my mom found me on my bedroom floor, my eyes rolled back into my head, slobbers coming out of my mouth, lips turned blue and I was shaking. She knew what was going on. That was the last time I had a grand mal. After then, I had alot of complex partial seizures, and since my VEEG, Ive been having alot of simple partial seiuzres with a couple of complex partial seiuzres in the first month after being put back on the Keppra.

Sounds like me when I'm postictal after a grand mal.

I rarely have tonic/clonic seizures but when I do I usually come out of it & it feels like it's over but I then go into a partial seizure before the whole "adventure" is finished.

What you described doesn't sound unusual to me.

Cathy, is being postictal part of the seizure or another one like a complex partial cause they are very similar in symptoms?

I'm not

sure, but it sounds like the one time that I decided to have the t/c and then stick my head between the bathtub and toilet (there was only 6 inches between them). But I still managed to get myself out, and I don't remember any of it, and I didn't feel any of it.......so not sure there.

Post-ictal refers to the recovery period right after the seizure, when you're still "coming to." Your body can be alert, but your brain takes longer to become fully alert and responsive, so it's very similar to a complex partial in that sense. I've had post-ictal conversations and walked around without having a clue about what doing -- I only know about this because of what other folks have told me, or because of where I found myself when my brain finally snapped out of it.

I'm told I woke up either when the paramedics got there or right before but don't remember any of it & next thing I remember was waking in the ambulance and seeing a paramedic looking at me. Next thing I remember is waking on a gurney in the hospital, that's all. I do remember that when the doctor came in, I was awake but it wasn't like I was awake the whole time, didn't feel like it but at the same time, I felt as if I had been awake the whole time before the doctor came in, don't know if that makes sense. I feel as if I lost a couple of hours of my life I can never get back. It was so weird

Back
Top Bottom