risk factors of temprol lobe surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello all, i was just old i was a canidate for right temprol lobe surgery, my question is, what are the odds of success? are there side affects , and what are the chances of things going wrong like memory loss or no recalection of anything, its a very scary thought and any help would be good . i've been trying to find statistics on this but have no luck:ponder: ty

I had a Left temporal lobectomy back in 1990 and was seizure free for 18 months. My memory is much worse now and I do suffer from aphasia (difficulty finding a descriptive word).

From www.epilepsy.com:
TEMPORAL LOBECTOMY
Temporal lobectomy is the removal of a portion of the temporal lobe of the brain. It is the most common type of epilepsy surgery and is also the most successful type: After surgery, 60% to 70% of patients are free of seizures that impair consciousness or cause abnormal movements. Some of these patients still experience auras, sensations (odors, for instance) without an outside source.

20% to 25% of patients still have some complex partial or tonic-clonic seizures but the number of seizures is reduced by more than 85%.

10% to 15% of patients have no worthwhile improvement.

Therefore, more than 85% of patients who have had a temporal lobectomy enjoy a great improvement in seizure control. Most patients need to continue taking seizure medicines, but they usually need less. About 25% of the patients who become seizure-free eventually can stop taking their seizure medicines.

Topic Editor: Howard L. Weiner, M.D.

I would ask your neurologist what the odds of success are & what studies s/he is basing their answer on and how many people were in the study (the more the better).

Google Scholar is also good if you want to search for studies yourself

The RTL that I don't know what the odds were, that it would work. Scar tissue was removed from my temporal lobe.My seizures got worse as I got older.
But than my seizures were on both sides also.

Belinda

I like to look up articles in neurological/epilepsy journals on pubmed. If you don't have access to their full text through a nearby university, the occasional free full text and abstracts available from home provide a good synopsis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

I had a right temporal lobectomy in 04. The risks I knew going into it was loss of memory, vision, and potentially some speech. I since haven't had a change in speech or vision, and if I wanted to I could blame something I forgot on that surgery but it probably wouldn't be valid. The RTL worked for me for 6.5 months and then my CPs came back just enough to notice and take away my driving privilege but I started more TC, which had been controlled before surgery. Good luck.

Left Temporal Lobe removal

We were just told that my daughter is a candidate for left temporal lobe resection. She had grand Mal seizures that made her quit breathing 3 years ago. The seizures started due to scar tissue build up after a stroke at age 3. She is now 27. They removed her hippo campus 2 years ago. She is having simple partial seizures now. Several in a week. They now have decided to remove her Left Temporal Lobe. We trust the Dr's at Vanderbilt but, Has anyone had this surgery and if so how did it effect your speech.

Thanks,

Worried Mom..........

In 2011 I had a lesion on left temporal lobe removed and the entire left hippocampus removed Deficiencies I have our loss of short term memories reasoning and sequencing. I also have problems with speech and writing. I usually have to use a synonym and I proofread what I write. She might think one thing and write something else. I’m not trying to scare you everyone’s different. I’m almost a 43 year old female who gave birth in 2013. Let Jesus take the wheel

Hi vagellie007,

Welcome to CWE! I had a right temporal lobectomy done back in 1994 and my surgeon removed 75% of my right temporal lobe and all of my right hippocampus and it
reduced my seizures 50% but I was told it was only going to reduce the seizure.
My Dr. told me that my personality could change do to the surgery and it do but thank goodness it changed for the better and I have more of a sense of humor and I sure take a lot less seizure meds.
Some of the side effects that I had after the surgery was back pain and headache, it was hard for me to see for a few weeks do to the surgery (it was like wearing sunglasses in the house) things were so dark. I could only eat soft foods for awhile because it hurt to chew foods and I was tired and slept a lot of the time. I think the hardest part for me was not being able to sleep on my right side for 6 months. My short term memory isn't that bad but what bothered me the most is sometimes I can't spell everyday words and now I'm cell phone sensitive meaning when I'm at a store and many people are using their phones I will go into a seizure because I'm sensitive to the frequency the phone uses. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi vagellie007,

Welcome to CWE! I had a right temporal lobectomy done back in 1994 and my surgeon removed 75% of my right temporal lobe and all of my right hippocampus and it

reduced my seizures 50% but I was told it was only going to reduce the seizure.

My Dr. told me that my personality could change do to the surgery and it do but thank goodness it changed for the better and I have more of a sense of humor and I sure take a lot less seizure meds.

Some of the side effects that I had after the surgery was back pain and headache, it was hard for me to see for a few weeks do to the surgery (it was like wearing sunglasses in the house) things were so dark. I could only eat soft foods for awhile because it hurt to chew foods and I was tired and slept a lot of the time. I think the hardest part for me was not being able to sleep on my right side for 6 months. My short term memory isn't that bad but what bothered me the most is sometimes I can't spell everyday words and now I'm cell phone sensitive meaning when I'm at a store and many people are using their phones I will go into a seizure because I'm sensitive to the frequency the phone uses. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was left temporal so my short term memory is not good. My spelling has also gotten worse and aphasia is happening. I want to say write text a word and something else is put. I proofread everything and use spell check. I also write everything down. Thanks for responding

We were just told that my daughter is a candidate for left temporal lobe resection. She had grand Mal seizures that made her quit breathing 3 years ago. The seizures started due to scar tissue build up after a stroke at age 3. She is now 27. They removed her hippo campus 2 years ago. She is having simple partial seizures now. Several in a week. They now have decided to remove her Left Temporal Lobe. We trust the Dr's at Vanderbilt but, Has anyone had this surgery and if so how did it effect your speech.

Thanks,

Worried Mom..........

It effects short term memory, reasoning, and sequencing. It is also causing aphasia I want to say or write a word and something else comes out. She will have to write everything down. I learn by seeing and doing not by just hearing. The good news I have is I now have a 4 1/2 year old boy that I gave birth to when I was 38. My advice is let Jesus take the wheel. I still take meds

I have temporal lobe seizures on the right side of my brain. The doctors had thought about removing some scar tissue from my brain but said it was too close to my memory so they decided to give me the Responsive Neurostimulator Device. It helps but doesn't control the seizures completely. When the battery runs out I can really tell a difference of how much it helps. Whew!!

I had left temporal lobe surgery in 2011. I was 2 years seizure free but my seizures returned in 2013. Pre surgery I was having simple/ complex partials & the odd tonic clonic. I do take focal seizures (partials) still but no where near as often as I was & they dont affect my life like they did.

The only real issue I had after surgery was I started overthink/overanalyse things especially after the seizures returned. I saw a psychologist for it as well as coping with stress & she helped me use techniques for both overthinking & stress.

My memory isnt affected too much & only time i really have issues with memory is when im really tired or stressed.

Lamictal is the safest. Your dose will be cut in half b:c you will have stopped bc. I have a 4 1/2 yr old boy: The only seizure I had while pregnant was during 3 1/2 days of labor. I had a seizure and son got stuck in birth canal, had to be pulled out by using forceps, and arm and hand twisted behind head so he had Erb’s Palsy, but thanks to a yr of therapy he’s fine. Let Jesus take the wheel

I had (right) temporal lobectomy surgery to sort out my simple/complex seizures.
It's been 18 months since I had it done, and I've not had a seizure since.
I have had a number of 'tremors' where I got the initial warning signs of always had, just before my seizures begun, but nothing materialised.
Post surgery, I suffered from anxiety, and looking back now, pretty badly with depression, but I seem to be over that!.

I'm still taking aed (keppra and lamotrigine), which I was told I'd be weaned off eventually.

Left temporal resection and memory

I'm seeing again and again that a left temporal resection leads to short-term memory troubles and aphasia. Does anyone know if the memory gets better over time (i.e. a year or two later) after the surgery?

Also, how bad is the memory loss that might come with surgery? Is it complete? Or just bad?

Thanks in advance for your helpful responses!

My (short term) memory is bad. It's gotten worse since surgery, and there's been no improvement since.

The only type of memory my left temporal lobectomy surgery affected was my short-term verbal memory. It also caused frequent anomia (problems accessing the words you need when you need them, particularly nouns). It was most prominent the first few years after the surgery, but it did make improvements over time. I never noticed the surgery ever affecting experiential or episodic memories. And it did not affect my ability to name anything/anyone that I was familiar with before the operation.

Back
Top Bottom