RNS side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has everyone heard of the Responsive Neurostimulator (RNS), it's only been FDA approved for about 5 years. Anyway if you don't know look into it. My question is: does anybody know what side effects it has, if any?

I think there are or were some members here that have the RNS. You might try a search for "Responsive Neurostimulator" or "neuropace" to find older discussions. I haven't researched the side effects (try internet searching "rns clinical trials" or variations). I did find the user manual on the neuropace website, but it doesn't say much about side effects:

https://www.neuropace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/UserManual.pdf

Their website also says:
Potential Adverse Events
Serious adverse events occurring in ≥ 2.5% of patients and those of particular relevance reported during the RNS® System clinical studies include EEG monitoring, infection, change in seizures, medical device removal, death, device lead damage or revision, antiepileptic drug toxicity, hemorrhage, psychiatric events, status epilepticus and seizure-related injury. Refer to the product labeling for a detailed disclosure of other reported adverse events.

https://www.neuropace.com/safety/

I have the VNS (Vagus Nerve Transmitter) and about 2 years ago, I started having a some complex partials for a while. So my neurologist suggested that I look into have the neuropace implant. I did look into it and that is as far as I went. No more devices in my body.

Back
Top Bottom