Rotateq number 2

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tase37

New
Reaction score
Yesterday my daughter got the second doze of rotateq..this morning she woke up with a rash..in the evening she was in terrible pain and not sure did she also suffer a small seizure in between it all :( after this she vomited several times..now she is thank god sleeping peacefully at the moment! I think I will have to consult with her neurologist on Monday do we dare to give the last portion when she is 5 months old or not!!
have never seen anyone in so much pain..poor little mite

Did you call her pediatrician? Rotateq lists a warning:
Call your doctor as soon as possible if your child has stomach pain or bloating, vomiting (especially if it is golden-brown to green in color), bloody stools, grunting or excessive crying, and eventually weakness and shallow breathing.

It also says to...
Call your doctor at once if the child has a serious side effect such as:

seizure (black-out or convulsions);
severe or ongoing diarrhea;
dark red stools;
fever, chills, cough with yellow or green mucus;
stabbing chest pain, chest tightness, wheezing, feeling short of breath;
stomach pain, weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting;
ear pain, swelling, or drainage;
runny or stuffy nose, sore throat;
pain or burning when you urinate; or
high fever, redness of the skin or eyes, swollen hands, peeling skin rash, chapped or cracked lips.

I hope she continues to feel better.

I spoke am with the doc about her rash..the other symptoms came this evening..she is due to eat and again soon and if she vomits again I will call A & E and chat with them about it

I would take detailed notes about what is happening with your child. Take pictures of the rash or any bruising/swelling. Get a doctor to examine and take detailed notes...and get a copy for yourself.

I would be afraid to vaccinate further:twocents:.

I pray your baby feels better quickly!!!!!

I think I will have to consult with her neurologist on Monday do we dare to give the last portion when she is 5 months old or not!!
have never seen anyone in so much pain..poor little mite[/QUOTE]

According to the product insert contraindications...
"Infants who develop symptoms suggestive of hypersensitivity after receiving a dose of RotaTeq should not receive further doses of RotaTeq"

Thank you everyone :)
I think it would be too much of a risk to give her the last dose too.. she seems a bit better today thank god..and she finally had a huge dump yesterday..this was very green poor thing!!

Yeah..she once again had a dark green dump which shows that she still isn't completely well but I think the abdominal pains are getting less now and she actually has had moments today when she plays happily on the floor..

Tase, do tell your doctor that you're not following through with the final shot.

If the treatment isn't completed, some sicknesses do get stronger (despite weakening at first) antibiotics and bacteria being a good example.

If this is the case, they should let you know what alternative to take since another shot is not an option.

Thank you Epileric.. :)
Yes I will tell the docter that I can't take the risk of the last dose with little Jessie and I will also ask are there other options available for her..

Well it now seems that all this had caused poor Jessie a minor 20 sec seizure..so we're not completely in the clear yet!!
It has now been discided that she will not get the last dose as there is a high risk that it will cause more severe problems.. but she should be immune already to this nast type of tummy bug that she was vaccinated against so thats good news :)
Her neurologist will call me on Thursday as we now know that she is allergic to something in the vaccinations :( So we will discuss on how to proceed with the other vaccinations that are coming again shortly!
Her poo is now a normal colour so hopefully she is slowly on the mend poor little mite!

Yaaaay!!

So Glad Jessies immunity should be built.

It's also good that you and the docs now know of this allergy so you can all proceed appropriately and safely in the future. :woot:

:)

Interesting to see what the plan will be, I think she will most probably have to take allergy medication after each jab from now on..but we shall see :) thanks for the support :) I appreciate you guys so much!!

Back
Top Bottom