Rotavirus and Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My 8 month old daughter has had 24 seizures since October. She was admitted to hospital and they found rotavirus in her stools. She's had an MRI scan and 2 EEG scans which have come back completely normal. She has periods of 2-3 weeks without a seizure then has a cluster if up to 5 seizures in 1 day. We were in hospital 3 weeks ago after a cluster of seizures and rotavirus was found in her stools again. She has been on keppra since November last year but this doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone had experience if rotavirus and seizures? Could the rotavirus lay dormant and keep flaring up now and again to cause seizures? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Macy's Dad --

There seems to be a link between the rotavirus and seizures or other neurological issues, but it's unclear whether it's causal or correlative, and what the ideal course of treatment is. See: http://www.sgpedneuro.com/jcn3070831.pdf

It could be that a different med would work better to help -- not everyone responds the same. In the article referenced above they suggest phenytoin (Dilantin) as an alternative to keppra.

The rotavirus is fairly contagious -- especially among kids up to two years in age -- so it's possible that your daughter is just getting reinfected.

your story sounds very much like ours, only I don't know if my son has been tested for rotavirus. Was your daughter ill before the seizures?

We're going to the doctor in a couple hours because he had another seizure today. Last one was about 3 weeks ago. MRI, CT Scan, EEG's all normal so far. Today he did not have a fever and hasn't been sick. He usually has 3 in a day then nothing for 3weeks to 3 months. He's 14 months old and it started in September at 10 months. I'm really suspicious of allergies and/or vaccines at this point. I'll be asking for the rotavirus test and allergy testing today.
keep us posted

took my daughter to hospital today not e related but i stood door of hospital legs gone to jelly it just thought of another hospital..to go one year and never look at hospital what joy but it never happen.
i feel so sorry you all starting the round of hospitals lets hope it all gets sorted and dont need set foot in one for along time thats wishing

I've read that rotavirus can attack the central nerve system and this can cause seizures. I hope it is the rotavirus causing them as this will eventually pass through her system. She has been seizure free for 4 weeks now and our epilepsy nurse has said she feels her development is excellent and she is positive about Macy not having any more seizures. We have been told she will be on keppra for 2 years at least.

I believe there is a link in her having a fever and having seizures as when she is well she has never had a seizure but as soon as she has a little cough or a high temperature her seizures start.

Anyway we're back to see her paediatrician ins couple of weeks and Macy is getting referred to a neurologist so I will post on here any information we get back.

Cheers for the comments guys.

Momto2.......

Before her first seizure my daughter didn't seem poorly but she came out in a rash 3 days before her seizure. We took her to hospital and got discharged the next day as the doctor put her seizure down to a shiver! On walking out of the hospital she had her second seizure. She then had a lumber puncture and a ct scan both came back ok. Then the diareah started and this came back rotavirus positive. She then had another 5 seizures that night then was seizure free for 4 weeks.

seizure again

My 14 month old is having seizures again. He had four back in september then was put on Keppra. Had been seizure free until January 9th. He had 3 on the 9th and 1 more on the 10th. Keppra dosage was increased and he was fine again until yesterday.

He had one while playing at the park. He just went limp. Paramedics came and checked him out and I took him to his pedi in the afternoon. Once again he tells us it's complex febrile, but he is not currently sick. So this confuses me. Really confuses me.

Last night I increased his keppra dose again. Doctor said if it were his child he wouldn't increase, but I could if I wanted to. I did.

This morning he had another. While eating breakfast. He was all clenched up and clenched fisted. Lasted about 2 minutes. I didn't give him the diastat this time and it seemed to last the same as when I have. I noticed he still had a piece of meat in his mouth and tried to get it out. He bit me pretty good. He's sleeping now and seemed really disoriented afterward before he fell asleep.

I feel like I'm going crazy. Like I did the first time this happened. Then having 3 months seizure free I was feeling better. Three weeks ago happened immediately after he fell and hit his face on concrete. So I had that "cause" to hold onto, but yesterday and today...nothing really happened no fall, no real fever, no cold, no flu, nothing and it's happening anyway.

I'm so scared for him and his future. How do you get through this? How do I go to work and feel ok leaving him? How do I prepare others to stay with him? And I know it could be so much worse so in a way I feel bad for even writing all of this.

Hi Macy's Dad, Your situation sounds quite a bit like ours... My daughter is almost 10 months old and has been having seizures for 6 months. She goes 2-4 weeks seizure free then has a cluster of about 4 days of seizures (2-5 seizures/day)... She has recently been started on keppra (phenobarb and clobazam were innefective) and this has given us the best control yet ( 5 weeks seizure free until she had a mild fever/cold which brought on another cluster)... She had loose stools with her first cluster of seizures and again 2 more times... She was never tested for rotavirus... Her MRI, LP and all genetic and metabolic testing are negative. Her EEGs have found activity on one side (but only during a cluster). Her development is normal (and this is what I cling to to make me feel better during the hard times). We are hoping and praying that the keppra will work for her and that she will grow out of this condition.
We have started her on a B6 vitamin as it had been known to minimize the side effects of the keppra. Please post if you find out any more info re; the rotavirs link.
Good luck and I'm wishing your family seizure freedom.

Here's some more links to studies on rotovirus and seizures in small children:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20472191
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14651163

It seems that even if the disease itself isn't especially severe, that seizures can occur with diarrhea (rotovirus especially) in small children. This can happen even if the baby or toddler is not dehydrated and has normal electrolytes and other blood work.

The question about whether this can lie dormant and then erupt again is a good one. Last March, after being seizure free for a year, our 8 year old (and the rest of us) all got a bad stomach flu -- symptoms very like rotovirus. My husband and I recovered after about 2 days, but Jon was still ill after a week -- had to take him into ER to get rehydrated. A stool culture indicated he had apparently shed the virus (at least in his stool), but he soon started to have seizures again (about 2 weeks later -- not actually during the acute phase of the illness). He also began having diarrhea on and off, and in August the diarrhea got bad, and he started having seizures every day -- multiple -- worse than he'd ever been in his life. He also started having diarrhea every day. In the month of November, he only had one or two days without diarrhea. We weren't able to get the seizures stopped until we got the diarrhea stopped.

Things going better now -- diarrhea flares up now and then, but seizures almost gone.

Jon's pediatrician put him on a pretty high dose of zinc to get the diarrhea stopped. Apparently it's really effective in boosting the immune system to take on the pathogens causing the problems.

The only problem is that after awhile, the zinc itself seemed to be causing seizures. Apparently too much zinc and lower copper levels which can lead to neurological symptoms. So...now just on a low maintenance dose of zinc, and doing fairly well

Macy had a seizure this morning after having a diareah stool last night what smelt of rotavirus. We have just been to hospital and been discharged and told to monitor her. Stool sample and urine samples were taken and we are awaiting the results. Will be interesting to see if the rotavirus is still inside her.

After over 4 weeks seizure free and Macy being fit and healthy this is a setback.....but once again as soon as she has a little fever the seizures start and I'm expecting her to have more seizures in the next few days.

I'm convinced the seizures are connected to the rotavirus but with it being very rare then the doctors are not as convinced as I am. Anyway we are getting referred to a top paediatric neurologist but he only visits out hospital twice a year so don't no when it will be when we see him.

Hopefully our children will grow out if this and live a healthy life in the future.

Sorry to hear of more fever and more seizures. I hope the pediatric neuro can shed some light. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom