Royal Wedding

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ColmanMac

New
Reaction score
So Have we had a poll about what folk of the Royal Wedding?

There's only three questions, surely?:-

1. Are you really bothered?

2. Do you truly give a monkeys?

3. Hell-fire; How much of my taxes?!

Col.

I live in America, so I'm probably not entitled to an opinion.

Isn't the wedding paid out of the royal family's personal finances? The english taxpayers would still have to foot the bill for security, street clean-up, traffic direction, etc. And that will probably come to several million. But it will also add so much to the economy, it might just come out even or better.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/892834--who-s-picking-up-the-tab-for-royal-wedding

So from my position of not having a right to have a legitimate opinion, I'll offer my nosey American preference. Since the queen is footing the bill, I'd like them to estimate the cost of a big lavish wedding, then have a small televised wedding with modest pomp and circumstance. Then donate the difference in budget to Charity. I think people would love them for it.

I'm from the Netherlands, we have a monarchy like England. We've had several royal weddings last decennium because our princes (sons of the queen and her sisters) are in their thirties (marrial stage.) Especially the wedding of our crown prince Alexander and his Argentinian wife Maxima was a big public feast. I think most Dutch people didn't bother about the costs/how it was payed for, the people here wanted to have a big public marriage and enjoyed it very much. There is a budget for these kind of occasions, part of it was payed for by the royal family, part by the state/taxes. People here are more critical about other costs of the monarchy, not about the crown prince his wedding.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, Endless - even us two (Don't forget I'm not English either - only pay some tax here; rest in Ireland & Germany.

My "trouble" is, as a Forensic Auditor, I always think of things in terms of alternatives. It's like the Civil List - the UK taxpayer is paying an arm & a leg to maintain every obscure Duke & Duchess in the land - & wer'e closing hospital wards/cutting services to do it. The "Tourist revenue" comes nowhere near that figure.

Incidentally, my Boss has just e-mailed me a "small task", asking a favour - you don't know anything about Barclays Capital Foreign Currency Risk Assessment Policies, do you?!!

Best as always
Col.

Hi Dutchmom- Hope your'e OK. Folk in England tend to have long memories, which I think is the main problem. In that respect the Royal Family have been their own worst enemies as there is no doubt that they treated Princess Diana like crap - and she was absolutely adored here.

Col.

The best thing about the Royal wedding is that us English get the day off work

Yeh - but I'm Irish & that's against me principles!!

Rigid Digits does it for me too!

Col.

Being in America, I admit to having an interest in the Royal Family, but just adored Princess Diana. I remember she got married on my birthday and I took a day off work to watch. Diana was close to my age and we both had two sons the same age...so I do enjoy seeing how her sons have grown up. I probably would be of a different opionion if it was my money paying for the pomp and such

She was very special to folk here - I think that's why she was called The People's Princess - she just had that something that no-one else in the family (sons included) has ever completely had.
Of course when all the dirt came out & people discovered how she had been treated like sh##te, Charles, also made himself a lot of enemies/hatred by going on to marry the "Bowles woman" aka "my tampon"!! (His words no-one elses!).

Col.

I have always taken an interest in Prince William and Harry, more so since Diana died.
I will never forget watching the 2 boys walking behind the hearse on the day of Diana's funeral.

I always kinda hoped one day William would be my Prince Charming, oh well, a girl can dream.

Hi Crazy Monkey;

The family have changed, believe me. Harry likes the booze too much and William may be heading the same way, some observers fear.

As for "Jug-Ears" (sorry, Charles) - like I said for the first in line to be actually be booed at public events because of what he got up to with "Cruella de Bowels", whilst married to Diana as well as during their engagement, says it all!

A lot of folk just think he's a maggot!

Col.

William and Harry are the only 2 royal family members that I follow these days, I think it is probably because of Diana.

I find it interesting watching the future of the monarchy and how it is changing through William and Harry and becoming more casual

Your'e just trying to get me started, aren't you!! And me a foin, upstanding, law-aboidin'(?!) Oirish Republican!

The only thing that gets me going about the whole Royal Family bit these days is the Civil List - where millions in taxes are being paid out to keep every obscure Duke & Duchess in a manner they don't deserve - & theyr'e closing hospitals to do it!!

Col.

"Come the day & come the hour; Come the power & the glory; We have come to answer our country's call; From the four proud Provinces of Ireland").

It was on the news the other day that apparently, because of the state of the country's finances, the wedding will be paid for privately.

Wish i could take advantage of the day off work, but chances are that i'll be there anyway!

Well, my friend, as a fully paid up Republican, I'll take that with a shovel full of salt! It wasn't on the "Beeb" per chance?!
(I've got a spanking joke re: Jug Ears & the wife but I would defo. be chucked off site!).

Go n-ithe an cat thus is go n-ithe diabhal an cat!

Col.

lets see now... "may the cat eat the ........ And the devil eat the cat?"

Can't believe i've forgotten that lol.

Thats my girl - Now wev'e got 'em all worried wer'e Russian "sleepers"!!

God love ya!

Col.

aha! It's "may the cat eat you and the devil eat the cat" lol.

I remembered after i'd posted but it takes too long to go back and edit on my phone lol. We have some charming phrases, eh?

My Mammy's fave was always: "Tir gan teanga tir gan anam" - which is spot on too!

Have you ever noticed when trying to explain the Gaelic to folk (especially to "foreigners" in the middle of the rugby crowd!), how each Province has it's own true language.

ie; I've a friend in Leinster who speaks entirely differently, at times, from me.

Back
Top Bottom