Saw the neuro today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I started on a low dose of Keppra on 12/6/07 and gradually increased it. On 12/19/07 I reached a dose of 1000mg 2x daily and my neuro told me to stay on that. I went in today because she wanted to see how I was doing. I told her that I was gradually getting past the side effects of the Keppra but I saw no change in the frequency of the absence seizures and I told her about the nocternal episodes I was having.

She is increasing the Keppra again and suggested I take 2-3 days off work to adjust to the increase. I don't think I will take any time off work because I don't want to use my paid time-off that I have accrued. Do you think the time-off is really necessary?

She also is scheduling me for a sleep study. Normally she said she would not worry about sleep apnea in someone my age and good health but I do have a family history so she feels it is warranted.

That's the update on this front.

Oh, do ALL neurologists run late? I am less than 5 minutes away from my neuro office so fiesibly I could get a follow-up visit done on my lunch break but not when the doc runs 30-45 minutes late! Grrrr.

All three of our neuros ran late. I'd say early morning is the best.
So you are on 2000mg of Keppra a day? Makes my eyes grow wide. However, if you are tolerating it well, then I am at a loss for words :dontknow:
Would think she would want to do the sleep study before increasing the med though. How can a sleep study be accurate if you are drugged up? I personally would be very careful about working at those levels. However, others that have taken this drug will be better able to advise you on that. I am only speaking from a gut reaction.

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/sleep.htm

Last edited:
After this increase I will be taking 1500mg 2x daily.

The sleep study, as I understand, is to determine if I have sleep apnea, not necessarily to dertermine if I have seizures at night. The apnea would be present whether my seizure medicine is controlling my seizures or not.

I am just going to play the other voice...
It would be my concern that you would be so drugged up that you would have altered sleep. I understand why the study is being done, but what every side effects can happen during the day with a drug, can also be happening during sleep. I guess only you know how an increase would effect your reflexes etc.

As an example.. my husband snores so much worse after he has had one too many drinks. Altered state... I understand this is not the same as medicine.

If you are okay with it, then I am sure everything will be fine.

Robin, apnea aggravates the seizure disorder, medicated or not. Most people who snore heavily have some form of apena, not everyone needs treatment or is effected by it. But when you awaken every few seconds due to the stopped breathing, you never get that good old REM that's needed for rest.

Now if the wanted to see if her SEIZURES were active nocturaly, then I would agree that medication might interfer.

I have had a couple of studies. They are painless, just have to get comfortable with wires attached to you all over. And then get that damn glue out of your hair! :eek:

I don't think I will take any time off work because I don't want to use my paid time-off that I have accrued. Do you think the time-off is really necessary?

Only if you think you might experience an increase in seizures or Keppra Rage side effects that might cause a problem at your work.

Oh, do ALL neurologists run late? I am less than 5 minutes away from my neuro office so fiesibly I could get a follow-up visit done on my lunch break but not when the doc runs 30-45 minutes late! Grrrr.

Try to schedule your appointments when
the Doctor's Lunch Break is due or AFTER his lunch break!

:D

But of course you didn't hear that from me!

(We need a TOP SECRET ICON in here)

That's when I usually schedule my appointments!
I'm either his last patient or his first one!

But currently at this present state, all my Doctors
runs in a timely fashion so they are never really
behind schedule at all, but there was one episode
where one Doctor was half hour behind due to an
Emergency ( but it does happen ).

Back
Top Bottom