Scalp Issues After Surgery

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone had any scalp issues after having surgery like dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, cradle cap, etc.? When I had my surgery I couldn't wash my hair for 2 weeks so that the incision could heal. Eversince then I can't seem to get rid of this flakiness on my head. Does anyone have scalp issues?

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Cordero,

How long ago did you have surgery?

I had left side frontal lobe labotomy in March last year. I was in hospital for 5 days & couldn't wet my hair while I still had the staples in. The staples were removed the day i was able to come out of hospital & I was advised to wait a day after the staples were removed until I washed my hair again. I think the only scalp problems I had after the surgery was maybe a tiny bit of dandruff after I started washing my hair again but it eventually went away.

What sort of shampoo did you use to wash you hair after the surgery?
I was told to use baby shampoo on my hair as it's a lot softer then regular shampoo & it doesn't sting on your hair like regular shampoo. I used the baby shampoo on my hair for about 2 months after my surgery & it worked well on my hair.

The only time I really had any itching on my head was when the hair started to grow back in the area that the neurosurgeon had shaved lol.

Last edited:

alivenwell

Veteran
Reaction score
Purely out of curiosity, is a dry shampoo acceptable? I have extremely sensitive skin and have found a lot of highly scented products tend to irritate my skin.

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
Yes, its been a year since I had brain surgery and I still have flaky itchy scalp. I use head-n-shoulders with lanolin and helps for a couple of days. Im african american and shouldnt wash my hair everyday, it tends to dry it out more. So, I wash it about every three to four days, it depends on the flakes. My hair-dresser suggested that I drink more water as well.

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi Cordero,

How long ago did you have surgery?

It will be 3 years in May since I've had the surgery. I used regular shampoo and conditioner. Now I use just about everything to get rid of this scalp issue. The doc. prescribed me this oil that worked for a little bit but once I stopped using it the dandruff came back with a vengence.

Last edited:

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi alivenwell,
I don't know if a shampoo that dries out your hair or the oil on your scalp works. Maybe I should try it.

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi Maryltyme,
I heard that it's not good to wash your hair every day so I wonder if it's a matter of excess oil on the scalp or not enough oil on the scalp that causes dadruff or sebhorrheic dermatitis or cradle cap. I don't know.

Reaction score
My head just gets VERRRRRRRY ITCHY...and ofcourse mine is a bit scabby aswell...I cant help but pick it sometimes its THAT itchy :(

I know washing your hair is out....but when you do..baby shampoo is the best way to go...perfume free...wont irritate the newly formed scar