Scalp Issues After Surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone had any scalp issues after having surgery like dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, cradle cap, etc.? When I had my surgery I couldn't wash my hair for 2 weeks so that the incision could heal. Eversince then I can't seem to get rid of this flakiness on my head. Does anyone have scalp issues?

Hi Cordero,

How long ago did you have surgery?

I had left side frontal lobe labotomy in March last year. I was in hospital for 5 days & couldn't wet my hair while I still had the staples in. The staples were removed the day i was able to come out of hospital & I was advised to wait a day after the staples were removed until I washed my hair again. I think the only scalp problems I had after the surgery was maybe a tiny bit of dandruff after I started washing my hair again but it eventually went away.

What sort of shampoo did you use to wash you hair after the surgery?
I was told to use baby shampoo on my hair as it's a lot softer then regular shampoo & it doesn't sting on your hair like regular shampoo. I used the baby shampoo on my hair for about 2 months after my surgery & it worked well on my hair.

The only time I really had any itching on my head was when the hair started to grow back in the area that the neurosurgeon had shaved lol.

Last edited:
Purely out of curiosity, is a dry shampoo acceptable? I have extremely sensitive skin and have found a lot of highly scented products tend to irritate my skin.

Yes, its been a year since I had brain surgery and I still have flaky itchy scalp. I use head-n-shoulders with lanolin and helps for a couple of days. Im african american and shouldnt wash my hair everyday, it tends to dry it out more. So, I wash it about every three to four days, it depends on the flakes. My hair-dresser suggested that I drink more water as well.

Hi Cordero,

How long ago did you have surgery?

It will be 3 years in May since I've had the surgery. I used regular shampoo and conditioner. Now I use just about everything to get rid of this scalp issue. The doc. prescribed me this oil that worked for a little bit but once I stopped using it the dandruff came back with a vengence.

Last edited:
Hi alivenwell,
I don't know if a shampoo that dries out your hair or the oil on your scalp works. Maybe I should try it.

Hi Maryltyme,
I heard that it's not good to wash your hair every day so I wonder if it's a matter of excess oil on the scalp or not enough oil on the scalp that causes dadruff or sebhorrheic dermatitis or cradle cap. I don't know.

My head just gets VERRRRRRRY ITCHY...and ofcourse mine is a bit scabby aswell...I cant help but pick it sometimes its THAT itchy :(

I know washing your hair is out....but when you do..baby shampoo is the best way to go...perfume free...wont irritate the newly formed scar

Back
Top Bottom