Scared I'm pregnant

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AdeleSA

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new on CWE and am scared I may be pregnant. For the last week I have been having symptoms but my period is not due til Saturday. I should not be pregnant but you know how little 'miracles' happen. I am afraid that the medication is going to affect the baby if I am pregnant and I am lost. I keep reading of the horrible things that can go wrong. I am on Epilim (Depakote) and have just gone down from 1200mg to 900mg. Initially I was 1800mg! Has anybody got some helpful advice for me?

Hi Adele --

First off, start taking a folic acid supplement right away. Having proper folic acid levels plays a very important role in preventing AED-related developmental issues in the early months of a pregnancy. Take a pregnancy test. And get in touch with your or regular doctor, OB/GYN, and/or neurologist to let them know of your concerns, and to find out what other supplements they might recommend, and to discuss the risks vs. benefits of being on AED while pregnant.

Many folks on this site have had no problems with their pregnancies, and delivered healthy children, while on AEDs. Ideally it would be great to be on as low a dose as possible, but pregnancy can cause estrogen levels to fluctuate wildly, which can be a trigger for people with low seizure thresholds. If you stay on meds, it would make sense to have those med levels monitored throughout the pregnancy.

More info here:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f42/if-youre-thinking-getting-pregnant-9721/

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice. I will keep you posted if I am pregnant.

Has your doctor recommended you decrease your medication or was that your decision to do that? I would recommend your doctor know what you're doing & that you do it very slowly. Are your seizures convulsive? Remember that a convulsion can be harmful to a baby as well.

Adele,

If you think you are pregnant talk it over with your doctor. He may change your medication to another, or decrease your dose. Even if you aren't now, but you are just thinking of getting pregant, it's a good idea to get your meds adjusted for that now.

Here's a link that will show you statistics on the impact on babies for the most popular drugs. Also a link on epilepsy.com on pregnancy.

Here are a couple of articles on anti-epileptic drugs and pregnancy:
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/71/14/e32 (gives odds of malformation, looks like from this carbamazepine is the safest)
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/pa...ment_aeds.html

Are you using birth control pills? Those are metabolized in the liver, as is Depakote. That could mean your birth control could be less effective than it was meant to be. So I'd understand your concern over an unexpected surprise.

Good luck. Let us know how you are, okay?

Oh - and welcome to CWE!

I just want to Congratulate you. Miracles are precious.

CONGRATS!!! We wanted 10,but after 8 I was diagnosed and had 3 miscarriages,who knows why.I believe God has a way of giving or taking away what was meant to be and he doesnt make mistakes,so enjoy and rejoice dont be scared,it will be okay

Hi Epileric

It was my decision to slowly start weaning of the medication. All my life I have been pretty much against putting harmful chemicals into my body. I know it helps control the seizures and pain but as things have been going so well I wanted to slowly start weaning off, taking other supplements which are natural. Yes, the seizures are convulsive and I understand that seizures can hurt the baby so won't do anything further until I have seen my doctor.

Hi Endless,

Thanks for welcoming me and for the advice. I have not been on oral contraceptives as I can't take artificial hormones, so we have used other methods of contraception. We are not trying to have a baby, as I first wanted to be 100% and off all meds before we even started thinking of having a brother or sister for a beautiful 4 year old little girl.

I will keep you all updated :)

One other thing Ive noticed.My periods are very irregular-either age or the trileptal-but on numerous occasions I get every symptom of pregnancy-every single feeling and thought and physical symptom.Same things make me sick,falling asleep in seconds but cant stay asleep-everything that occurred with my many pregnancies but yet im not pregnant.could be wishful thinking or just the E or the meds but I would bet money each time that I was pregnant-even thinking of names,yet all tests are negative

Hey, Mel.

Did you just stop having your periods? That's what happened to me. My doc checked my hormone levels and they are fine.

Info below is from this link:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f42/if-youre-thinking-getting-pregnant-9721/

It’s possible that having epilepsy may make it more difficult for you to get pregnant. Women with epilepsy have fewer children than women in general. Their fertility rate is between 25% and 33% lower than average. Here are some possible reasons why:

* Women with epilepsy have higher rates of some conditions that can cause infertility. One of these is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

* Women with epilepsy are more likely to have irregular menstrual cycles, which can make it more difficult to get pregnant.

* Women with epilepsy are also more likely to have menstrual cycles that do not produce an egg. These are called anovulatory cycles.

* Women with epilepsy are also more likely to have abnormalities in hormones involved in pregnancy.

Last edited:
Welcome and You'll have to do this with me take a deep breath and say it's in gods hands. I just found out i'm pregnant 3 weeks 4 days infact. I started decreasing meds last night and we've been taking folic acid and prenatals since I was 19 just to be careful since my E and in my child bearing years. Maybe talk to your doctor about switching to a med with less side effects if you can't get off meds. We are hopefully gonna be off meds for a month till the baby is a little more formed and than i will go back on my low risk meds. Congrats if you are and keep us updated on how your doing and if you are!

Hi Laina
Thank you and congrats to you :) I will definitely be talking to my doctor about my meds if I am pregnant. Can only get a test tomorrow or so (as we live pretty far from stores etc) so then will post whether it was positive or not. Gosh I have every symptom of being pregnant but yes it is in Gods hands. I am just one of those people who worry so it is hard for me to just let it go. I will try to stay positive and let you know the results.

:cheers:

First, I would like to say welcome to CWE.

Second, I would like to help you think of your possible pregnancy as a positive, even with the stresses of epilepsy. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't be careful and find out as much as you can, however try to think of the possible child in the most positive way.

All our support is with you.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I am NOT pregnant and I am rather relieved. Thanks you for all the info and all your support, you really made it so much easier. I am still however feeling terrible...this nausea just won't go away and I have a horrible metalic taste in my mouth. I have an appointment with the doctor only in the beginning of December (yeah, that is how slow things are in SA are when you depend on the government) and I wonder if it is not perhaps my meds affecting my liver? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again

Adele,

I am relieved and happy for you. The gift of a child is much easier when it is planned. Especially for a person with seizures and on AEDs.

One of the side effects of Depakote is nausea. About half the people who take Depakote are nauseated. Nausea is the most probable cause the metallic taste in your mouth, but there is a small chance it could be something else. Does your doc know you are nauseated AND have a metallic taste in your mouth? It's probably nothing but you need to get it checked out quickly. Has your doc been doing blood tests regularly to check your liver?

Seek emergency medical attention if the person taking this medicine has nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or loss of appetite, low fever, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes). These symptoms may be early signs of liver damage. Some of these symptoms may also be early signs of pancreatitis

http://www.drugs.com/depakote.html

Here's the package insert:

Liver function tests should be performed prior to therapy and at frequent intervals thereafter, especially during the first six months.

Don't let all that scare you. Just get it checked out, okay?

Hi Endless

Thank you so much. The last time they did blood tests was just after I started on the meds. They did not bother doing any since. I will see if I can get to a private doctor perhaps for blood test otherwise I am going to have to wait til December when I have my appointment. Let's hope that it is nothing serious.

Will keep you posted

Adele,

Here in the U.S. we can order blood tests without a doctor, from labs like this:
http://www.healthtestingcenters.com/liver-test.aspx

Are you in Canada? If so, I couldn't find a consumer site like this there. Maybe with a little luck with Google you'll be able to find one. If not, I wonder if you can mail a blood sample across borders?

The liver panel will cost between $50-$100. Your doctor's office or a local lab still needs to draw the blood. When the results are mailed to you, the internet has all the normal ranges so you can interpret the test yourself, and see if you need to go in to the doc ASAP.

It seems that doing from your Dr.'s office would be much easier. Hope he cooperates and just orders the tests, even if it is before you come in.

Back
Top Bottom