Seen Neur Dr. Got new meds and postive response : ), thank you Nakamova and CWE

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
Ok, I saw neuro dr yesterday. It went better than exspected. He was in tune to what was going on, recaping the last visit and asking "me" how I was, which was a first. I told him all the new issues and he took interest right away. We talked about the meds prescribed and possible new meds. he told me that it might take several before finding the right one, but more importantly... he gave a name to my situation. Simple Partial Seizures, however, he felt that my blood sugar levels should be tested to rule out also hypogleycemia (spelling). I believe that he will be sharing with primary dr as well base on what I told him was happening. Atlas, a candle to lite my way. I have been given a med to take which is : divalproex sod er, 500 mg to take 2x's a day.

A special thank you to Nakamova for all of your support and advice.
A special thank you to CWE memebers that has supported me through out this evil journy. I feel better knowing that someone is listening. I feel I am on my way to better days. I thank you all! GOD Bless, HUGS and lots of love too!

Mary

Next step, to start taking the meds. Should I take them on weekend or is it ok to just jump right in and start? Im anxious to start taking them. I've been feeling really really funky lately.
Has this med proven successful for anyone here?

I'm so glad you finally got someone to listen to you and take you seriously!
Hurray!
A diagnosis and at last a name to everything you have been experiencing!
We're still here for you as your journey continues from here!

Mary -
I'm glad your neuro appt went well & you got some answers.

thank you both for continuing to support me : ). Tomorrow I go for the 2 hour fast test. I get real funky fealing before I eat and really really funky after I eat. Is this an aura/seizure of some sort? I looked up hypoglycemia and it said it can cause a seizure, but the funky feeling i get before and after eating was not one of the symptoms of hypoglycemia. I do get nausious, heachace, and light show ( again, there are on going most of the time). hmmmm?

This sounds very promising! Having a good doctor that listens can make all the difference.

I hope the hypoglycemia test is useful. I don't have hypoglycemia, but I do think low blood sugar can be a trigger for me. I think it was one of the factors in my initial tonic-clonic seizure. And when I was on an anti-seizure med that made it hard for me to eat, I ended up having auras (which I had never had before or have had since) as well as eventually a really bad tonic-clonic.

Let us know how it goes!

This sounds very promising! Having a good doctor that listens can make all the difference.

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you Nakamova for everything. I walked out on clouds having concrete evidence something in fact is going on. I took the blood sugar test today. I had to stay at dr's for 2 hours and drink some not too bad, but way too sweet drink. I forgot to ask when results would be back, I just wanted out after 2 hours. I will start new med tomorrow and see how goes over the weekend. I will keep you all updated. God Bless you and thank you again.

HUGS!!!!!

Do you know the blood sugar results yet?
How are you feeling on the divalproex?

Do you know the blood sugar results yet?
How are you feeling on the divalproex?

been taking meds since friday evening, i dont feel to much different emotionally but I am more productive at work. Im having horrible mood swings, nothing new, I was having them before. I dont know if thats associated with aura's, blood sugar levels or seizures? I've lost 6lbs in a week. I was weighed accidently last tuesday only because when a nurse came out to wait area and asked for Ms. Mary, I thought she was talking to me. So I got up and followed her not knowing she was for a different doctor. Well after she weighed me i followed her to a room and we sat down, she asked so what brings you here, is everything ok, i felt something was wrong and i told her this is follow up as usual and then if she worked with my dr. she said no of course and then asked what my name was, we both looked at each other, laughed and went our seperate ways. but any hoot, thats how i know i lost 6 lbs. I weighed myself yesterday when my skirt fell just a little below my waist.

Oh boy, rambling
I dont know if med is working or not, i think it is. Im not having the light shows, the unplug feeling or the confusion. Nor am I constantly nibbling to stay awake. I am sleeping much, much better! : )
I am getting tingling on right side of face, lips and tongue, noticable but not bothersome. Lots of swelling of lower legs, but that was before I started taking med. I go back to neuro in 3 weeks, I will share new stuff/side effects perhaps with him. Especially the mood swings.

thanks for asking.

does anyone ever ask how you are Nakamova? How are you?

Sounds like a good start on the med maryltyme. Keep an eye on the weight loss, 6lbs in a week is a lot!

does anyone ever ask how you are Nakamova? How are you?
Thanks for asking! I'm doing pretty well, aside from an annoying cold/sore throat. I think one side effect of my medication is that I'm more prone to colds, especially when I travel. I spent about 11 hours on the bus on Sunday-Monday for a quick trip to NYC and back, and seem to have picked up something as a result...

Thanks for asking! I'm doing pretty well, aside from an annoying cold/sore throat. I think one side effect of my medication is that I'm more prone to colds, especially when I travel. I spent about 11 hours on the bus on Sunday-Monday for a quick trip to NYC and back, and seem to have picked up something as a result...

Sorry to hear you have a cold, especially during this time of the year. Hopefully it will be over before Christmas. What aed are you taking, so i can avoid it? I know, I know, everyone doesnt experience the same side effects, but it would be just my luck. I have not had a cold in 3 years. Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you for being there : ).

Thank the good Lord…you have found a doc who is listening/hearing and caring and talking to you!

Will pray these med kicks in and who knows, be the one to stop the Simple Partials in their tracks.

Just got off phone with neuro nurse, said blood work looks good. no indication of low blood sugar levels (no hypoglycemia), all normal! Yeah! So what makes me rollercoaster when eating, before and after, and what causes naucious and vomiting? what about neuroglycopenia? got any idea's. I will hopefully remember to ask when I go back next month.

Last edited:
Maybe there's something that's making your metabolism less efficient? I assume there's nothing out of the ordinary in your diet, but maybe making a change will help. Even if you aren't hypoglycemic, you could look into eating smaller meals throughout the day to see if that helps.

What anti-epileptic drug are you taking, so i can avoid it?
I'm on Lamictal, but I seem to have had the same side effect (chronic low white blood cell count) with Dilantin and Zonisamide as well.

I was given lamictal (generic version) I never started that one. They wanted me to take it in step up stages. I'll admit, I have phobia's and meds is one of them. Does it work for you? I mean on average how many seizures in a month/year if any at all? If I may ask. Please excuse my rudeness and prying.

Thank the good Lord…you have found a doc who is listening/hearing and caring and talking to you!

Will pray these med kicks in and who knows, be the one to stop the Simple Partials in their tracks.

I never stop seeing this doctor. I wanted to give up so many times. I think the communication gap was bridge by an intern that happened to be in there one day when he was examining/talking to me. he allowed the intern to talk to me first and then he did.

Thank you so very much Chaz.

How are you doing? How is your son? I hope all is well. I hope things are working in your favor. I am starting to feel better emotionally, a little. Every bit counts tho. Talking helps alot, it allows me to go back and see how bad or how good I was. : )

I've been pretty bad lately : (

I'm seizure-free on the Lamictal -- over 4 years now. No allergic reactions or problems along those lines. Side effects of course -- some that went away after a month or so, and others that have persisted -- but they are tolerable.

Next time that same intern is there, maybe u could politely say u will wait for doctor ;)

divalproex same as valproic, same med as my Son. started at 2x500 now at 1300mg, has really removed 95% of his partials, he is having T/C breakthroughs every few months (not new) so med increase may be on the cards, he holding off for now...lack of sleep and bam we can wait for one..

Being sick to your stomach so often is not OK, it’s just not OK and should be looked at by your GP….really..

This girl feeling much brighter....thank u so much 4 asking/thinking of me and yes, it sure does feel good to talk about it..all…:)

I'm seizure-free on the Lamictal -- over 4 years now. No allergic reactions or problems along those lines. Side effects of course -- some that went away after a month or so, and others that have persisted -- but they are tolerable.

Im so happy to hear that. Of all the med prescribed to me that one scared me the most, i partly regret not trying it tho.

divalproex same as valproic, same med as my Son. started at 2x500 now at 1300mg, has really removed 95% of his partials, he is having T/C breakthroughs every few months (not new) so med increase may be on the cards, he holding off for now...lack of sleep and bam we can wait for one..

Being sick to your stomach so often is not OK, it’s just not OK and should be looked at by your GP….really..

This girl feeling much brighter....thank u so much 4 asking/thinking of me and yes, it sure does feel good to talk about it..all…:)

I happy to hear that his meds are working atleast 95 percent of the time. Hopefully in future they will pair or find one that controls both partials and t/c's. I agree, lack of sleep sets me off as well, more emotionally than anything, i get very very mean, i cant tell when people start avoiding me.

Do you remember how long on this divalproex before it started releaving his symptoms? I've only been taking it for a week, I think its working, but every now and then I get a jerk, like someone snuck up and poked me, like a jolt of electricity, but no lights! I hate the light show. saw long red rectangles today and had alot of "wierd funky smells". Had two episodes of extreme nausia and as fast as they came on, they went away just as fast. I'm gonna try Nakamova advice re: eating smaller meals, I hadn't paid attention, but I havent been eating alot to avoid episodes, probably why I lost a few pounds.

and THIS GIRL ( I like that saying) is feeling better too, I know I am on my way to getting a part of my life back.

Thanks for being there : )

Back
Top Bottom