Seizure Dog Help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

smilemily

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a freshman in college and I have had epilepsy for the past three years. I have never really managed to get control of my epilepsy. The longest I have gone without seizing is two months. Recently, I have been looking into getting a service dog. I think it would help me be more independent and lesss stressed.

The problem is I am a nursing major. I do not want the dog to go into clinicals or work with me. How would you feel if you had a nurse with her own service dog? The organization then said how I do not want a service dog-which I do in all other aspects of my life.

Do you have any advice? What have you done in college with uncontrolled seizures?

Thanks,
Emily

As retired nurse ten years ago I think may find it problematic taking dog into clinical situations.It would not bother me as patient or as colleage but could be problem with many others those with dog phobia allergy hygiene to name but a few.Could dog find it hard likely be patients in hospital with e would dog get confused and go tho that person.i not seen working dogs Woking with a nurse but don't mean they don't.i seen hospital staff with guide dogs but they office workers

I wouldn't be bothered by seeing the pup, but some folks probably would. So you would probably need to work out a schedule where you left the dog at home or outside the clinical area if possible.

Tough to go through school with seizures, but it can be made easier if you discuss it with your teachers and supervisors and make sure they respond with all legally required accommodations.

On my last visit to my neuro, which is in a hospital, there was a patient there with a seizure dog. I didn't mind seeing a patient there with a dog. I wanted to talk to her about her dog but I didn't get a chance to because she was leaving just as I was going into see my neuro.

Now as far as someone working in the hospital with a seizure dog I'm not too sure how I'd feel. If it was just in the drs office, even if it was in a hospital, I'd probably be ok. If it was in a part of the hospital/drs office where shots were given, testing being done or any other sterile areas I wouldn't want one, or any animal there, not even if they were a patients.

This is just my opinion though.

A seizure dog... interesting, as I have never heard of one before. What exactly is the benefit of a seizure fog, do they know in advance a seizure is coming?

Back
Top Bottom