• I experience seizures more during the day

Votes: 43 18.1%
  • I experience seizures both day and night

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • My seizures are isolated and sporadic

Votes: 56 23.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
This poll - you have a multiple choice:

And please do COMMENT!

SPECIAL NOTICE TO WOMEN:

I did not put anything in reference to
"Women's Issues" - you may add this
to your comment. Some women do not
care to reveal nor disclose this and I
respect their privacy.

If you wish to comment, you may do so
on your own free will, and select what-
ever option you may desire.

Last edited:
Most of my worse seizures occur in the
Fall / Winter. And it's not the stress nor the
Holidays as they say as it goes all the way
up into March and sometimes to April. Seizures
during other times are extremely isolated.

Edited to add; I also experience occasional
seizure episodes before or during the menses
cycles sporadically.

Last edited:
My seizures can happen at anytime. It doesn't matter the time of day, of the time of year. Just yesterday I had a seizure while I was waiting for someone in a clinic waiting room. It was one of my typical seizures because I was still sitting in the same seat. Only people that know me would have noticed it.

Aug. 25th had two more seizures. They were both my usual kind. One in the morning, the other at night. These seizures were most likely brought on because of the high temperatures. I can't wait till fall/winter get here.

Last edited:
I have only had 3 (tonic clonic) seizures. They started when I was 14 and had just started having my period. They all occurred as I was waking up after not having slept enough. I haven't had a tonic-clonic seizure in 22 years but I still have the myoclonic jerks several times a week. They are usually in the morning upon awakening or late at night when I am getting ready for bed.

I have noticed that during my period, the jerks seem worse. But of course, this is usually the week I don't sleep as well so duh, maybe there's a connection!

Blessed

Well, I don't have seizures, but I thought I might interject a couple of comments here:

It helps to answer this poll if you have kept a seizure diary for at least a year so you can look back and analyze your seizures over time.

The change in seasons can affect several natural rhythms of the body including the number of hours of daylight exposure (necessary to make Vitamin D), sleep cycles, etc.

It can also affect the foods you eat (more fresh fruits/veggies available in the summer months), so changes in diet may occur over the seasons too.

Blessed mentioned myoclonic jerks. I have heard of myoclonic seizures, but had never heard it referred to as jerks. When my simple and partial seizures weren't under control, I was having episodes of my arm jerking for a few seconds for no reason in the morning when I woke up. It never occurred to me that these may be seizures. I've never mentioned them to my doctor. I have temporal lobe epilepsy caused by a blow to my head 4 years ago.

The jerks stopped the same time as my simple and partials went away, when my med was raised. But when I read about myoclonic epilepsy, it sounds like it is completely different from temporal lobe epilepsy. (I looked it up on epilepsy.com)

I wouldn't get too hung up on the definitions that doctors have constructed to describe seizures. They are trying to categorize them as best they can, but that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions or that their descriptions will describe every possible case.

The jerks were likely seizures and you should mention it to your doc so he is fully informed of your seizure activity.

Spinnymommy, I have heard varying opinions as to what myoclonic jerks are. Some neuros classify them as seizures and other do not??????????? I saw an epileptologist whne we were living in Texas who told me they were a warning sign of something bigger to come. My epi. here in Birmingham never said that. He was pretty evasive (Why can't they just say,"I don't know?") and insinuated that it was just part of having JME (Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy). He then raised my meds to try to stop the jerks. They did stop but I couldn't handle the side effects. I switched to just a regular neuro here in B'ham and he said the jerks were not warning signs of something bigger to come! ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH! I have learned to just deal with them and go on. But, I agree with Bernard, you should tell your dr. Maybe he'll have a different take on it!

Blessed

P.S. I had a dr. tell me I had temporal lobe epilepsy too. It wasn't until I went to an epileptologist that he diagosed me correctly with JME.

Its very sporadiac and anything that upsets my stomach will trigger szs.

Riva

I've only had 4 granmal seizures in 30 years, 3 of them were in October, the most recent one in December.

Randy

I've only had 4 granmal seizures in 30 years, 3 of them were in October, the most recent one in December.

Randy

Randy - I've probably had 10-15 GM's (TC's)
in my entire life, but I've had Neuros who've
remarked probably more than that except I
didn't realize it (being home alone with no
explanation for cuts, bruises, sprains, etc).

My last one was Dec 30, 2006, which was a
double-trouble, had a first one, then later was
hit again which resulted a trip to the ER, then
resulted back-to-back Complex Partials after
midnight Dec 31st, and the Neuro On-Call
adjusted and changed my meds and I was fine
after that. Part of it was to blame on being on
a vEEG for almost a week without any meds
and was released just before Christmas.

Stacy had 5 and possibly 6 just this morning. :(:(:(:(

What the heck is going on???
and on the EF board people are
resetting counters!

:(

((((((( STACY )))))))))

Have they sent her home from the hospital yet? So sorry she's szing! This round seems a bit worse than the others.:(

Blame it on the eclipse.

For Stacy

hugs10.gif

No, she is in ICU right now being intubated. :( Apparently, she vomited at some point in the ambulance or ER and got vomit in her lungs. :(:( If everything works out :adore:, they plan to release her in the morning. They want to make sure she doesn't contract pneumonia.

Oh no! :( Wonder why they didn't transport her in a recovery position? Aren't they suppose to do that when people sz? Lying strapped to a gurney on your back is NO GOOD!

You got someone to help with the boys, Mom or M-I-L?

Oh Bernard! I am so terribly sorry! I will send up lots of prayers for Stacy, you and the boys.

Blessed

Bernard!

KEEP US POSTED!!!
Praying here!

(Donna - believe it or not - they (Medics)
keep us on our backs! :mad: Even when my
son was telling them to have me on my side
per Neuro's orders ~ they ignored him!)

They had me strapped to a backboard when I went, both times. I was seizing every few minutes and I was strapped flat on my back to that board for 5 HOURS:mad: Good thing they were simple particals!

keeping Stacy in my prayers tonight.

Back
Top Bottom