Seizure Response Dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

edepew151

New
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I've been on the waiting list for a seizure alert/response dog for 2 and a half years now, and I was only supposed to have 3 years left. Well, I got an email yesterday from the organization saying that I had been moved DOWN the list, and had to wait 5 YEARS instead of 3!:evil: My condition is getting worse really quickly (I had a VNS put in, but it doesn't help, even though it's turned up so high it affects my voice). I talked to my doctor about brain surgery, but he said it isn't an option for me with my kind of epilepsy. I want to know if any of you guys know of an organization that doesn't have a very long waiting list. Anything under 3 years is fine. I will be moving to Utah in December, and in this economy I can't afford to travel to a distant training center every month. Also, I'm 20 but have to live with my parents because of my epilepsy. My dad is very allergic to animals, but (because he is the greatest man in the world ;) )said he still wanted me to have a dog. I happen to know that poodles are hypoallergetic, so if you know of a place that trains poodles, that would be fantastic! Thanks everyone!

Oh gosh, my mother just ran into a lady who trains dogs for people with epilepsy. Im going to have to ask her what the name of the organization is. I guess the way she explained it to me is that they have the inmates at the prision train the dogs monday thru friday, and then let the lady and others train them outside the prision on weekends to get them use to society and people. I'll have to ask her the name of the organization.

Keep in mind that no dog is truly "hypoallergenic." Poodles have a certain type of hair that produces less dander than other breeds, but they do still shed and they can still trigger an allergic response. They just aren't as likely to.

Back
Top Bottom