Seizures and the phase of the moon

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sandee

New
Reaction score
I was curious if there is a correlation between seizures occuring more often during a full moon. Have a few friends who recently had seizures and I noticed it was at or close to the full moon. I need to check when I last had seizures and see if it was around a full moon or not. Just one of those things that popped into my mind.

Before natural lighting, women ovulated with the moons cycles. And we know women's ovulation cycles flucuate with the moon.

So if you will be using women for this, you'll also have to factor in their hormones and how much natural as opposed to indoor lighting they are exposed to

Interesting, but one of the friends was a male. Never realized the indoor lighting had that effect on the hormones. Thank you for the information. I wish I were able to do a research project on this but I don't have the ability.

The authors retrospectively reviewed all neurologic records of an emergency unit from 1999 to 2003 to identify a potential association between lunar phases and seizure occurrence. Overall 859 patients admitted for seizure occurrence were divided into the four quarters of the synodic month according to moon phases. A significant clustering of seizures around the full moon period was observed, supporting the ancient belief of periodic increased seizure frequency during full-moon days.

Lunar phases and seizure occurrence: Just an ancient legend?

Bernard, thank you. I am going to read the article as soon as possible. May have to have the dictionary handy!

Thank you again,

Sandee

Sandee,
If you follow this logic then it makes perfect sence:

The moon controls the tides, river flows, etc.
Since the human body is made mostly of water, doesn't it make sence that the moon would also have some sort of affect on our bodies.
This is why most seizures and other mental disorders (like bipolar disorder,scitzophrenia etc.) happen during a full moon.
I have a friend who is a police officer and he told me that the police (and hospital emergency rooms) actually put on additional staff during these periods.
It has also been documented that most crimes are committed during a full moon.

Randy

So far, I've had 2 mild seizures...one about 3 days after the last new moon...the last one, a week before the next new moon.... :p

I called the neurologist today because since the end of September, my husband has been having weird seizures. Prolonged or repeated seizures that require 911. They keep discharging him. So the neurologist (in a bigger smarter city) was gone, but the office manager said she's been getting calls from patients they haven't seen or heard from in years, people who have had their seizures well controlled by surgery and/or medication. She was looking for a correlation and suggested the full moon!!!

My husband's big troubles have been going off and on since the new moon at the end of september, so that theory isn't fitting us.

They are also suggesting that they aren't true seizures. Stress induced or something. I need to find another thread to talk about that.

I had trouble with strange nocturnal seizures last night (see my other post today) & I justrealized that tomorrow is a new moon. Hmmmmmm.:ponder:

Last night I started a late menses and had myoclonic seizures all night.....kept waking me up, darn it!. I had extra energy yesterday. All gone today. pooped!lol

Last night I started a late menses and had myoclonic seizures all night.....kept waking me up, darn it!. I had extra energy yesterday. All gone today. pooped!lol

Actually I've seen a correlation between the times that I have extra energy or feel extremely awake & alert & the likelihood of having a stronger-than-normal seizure.

I've been epileptic for about twentyfive years. Most of my worst seizures were on the full moon.

Mine are menses related and energy too. I just started to work out and I am getting more energy so here we go.

Sounds to me like we need to destroy the moon!! I will need help though. Is anybody with me?

Nope... not willing to help you.
Would rather hook you all up to neurofeedback and see if we can redirect the brainwaves. Perhaps they can come up with a game that is a lunar mobile. I will suggest that to Kurt Othmer. We will call it the Xenome Project.

hmmmm - what phase was the moon yesterday

My seizures are down to about once or twice a month but about the same time. No menses here - the baby machine was removed - BUT the ovaries remain. hmmmm - quite interesting. Thanks BERNARD for that link. quite interesting and it is true what , sorry I forgot who, said about the body being mostly water. GOOD POINT - Kudos to you.

Sometimes I think if a good dr would listen to these types of input, drs would learn - like, research in a reality setting.

Back
Top Bottom